All my six rims are bent....

biggoolies

Adventurer
Hi I went in to get my wheels balanced as the truck is shaking at speed. Well it is not the balancing but all six original rims are bent. Anyone that has changed to super singles interested in donating their original truck rims? I live in Vancouver and will be travelling down through Washington Oregon California and Arizona and New Mexico in December on my way to Mexico. Thanks

1aquaholic

Adventurer
I just switched and have a set of rims with mounted tires sitting in my garage in Washington State. I wouldn't donate them but I'd sell them if you're interested. 6 hole pattern from a 05 FG.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

biggoolies

Adventurer
Any idea how all the rims got bent?
I asked the same question. They said you are quite heavy. I assumed they meant the truck. How they know that though is a mystery. They also said going off-road could have done it. Or pot holes or speed bumps. My theory on it is that the roads in the city I live in really suck. Potholes everywhere speed bumps when you don’t expect them. The offroads i have done the truck gets banged around. I would expect it is all of the above but more the potholes and speed bumps more than anything. As another poster mentioned that these rims are probably not designed for off-road stuff. The truck also was a landscape truck with a very heavy dump box on it in its former life. Boy was I surprised when they said they were bent. I asked. How many? They said all of them!! I am approaching my GVWR but not there yet.

Buckstopper

Adventurer
Portland Mitsubishi Fuso usually has stock wheel and tire take-offs from Earth Cruiser if the beads don't fix it.

Aussie Iron

Explorer
Hi thanks for the offer but I am trying beads to see if the rims will balance.

Trouble is if the rims are bent which is easy to work out then using balance beads may help with the wobble but not the tyre wear out of ordinary. Which may become dangerous.
The rims are still bent.

Dan.

skippythedog

Observer
Took Skippy the dog’s advice. Used ceramic beads. A world of a difference. I guess they just have trouble balancing these rims

There ya go.....It didn't sound from your note that the wheels were bent much, if at all.....I wonder if the previous owner just gave up on this out of sheer frustration w/ the balancing? Perhaps the rims were never really bent at all? This would have been a simple thing for the rim supplier to explore and report on.

The only very minor annoyance I've experienced with the beads is a slight side to side (dynamic balance) wobble at 30-33 mph. I surmise this is where the beads start "finding their home"...Accelerating slightly mitigates this and I do not notice it upon deceleration through that speed range......

I have a few more theories on improving that but will reserve those thoughts for now....I'm a former factory Porsche tech, service advisor, service manager (Toyota/Subaru/VW), Sales rep/trainer for the now defunct Bear Auto Equipment Co. and MAC Tools dealer, so I've got a few people whose brains I can pick as I'm one of those guys that knows a little about everything and a lot about nothing (per my ex gf)....though I may not implement any of my theories until I'm due for tires again....

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles