All aluminum or generic style cargo?

Redheddedwonder

For those that have built and used cargo trailer campers, I am curious how they have held up? Obviously if money was no option I’d go all aluminum like aluma, feather lite, or weeroll. But wanted to just get a cheap set up to get us by for a few years before I go all out on a custom build camper. Unfortunately the used market in Colorado is crazy and I can’t find any good deals, which is leading me to look at new, and I don’t really want to cheap out if I am buying new. If I end up finding a decent deal on the common build type cargo trailer, will they hold up to washboard general camping stuff? I’ve had an off-road trailer before and it didn’t really see off-road so not concerned with serious trails. More of a basecamp setup.

andytruck

Observer
What will u tow it with? That van?
Aluminum is light. It will not rust as easy. In CO you dont have salted roads so that is all I know that are the biggie benefits.
I have a steel 1 inch square tubing (for the box) framing. No rust, they paint it, and I keep it dry, as there are no leaks.
A little rust on the frame is not a big deal, it will be decades for a frame to rust out unless u live in a salty place.
Steel is easy for me to weld on and infinetily reparable.
Steel is stronger, and can flex over and over without breaking. Aluminum will eventually crack if flexed a lot, guessing you will take it off road, so there could be flexing...
Cargo trailers are built to be abused, they are built strong.
Everything you build in it might be a different story.
The weakness will be the axles (hubs) and leaf springs if going down washboard a lot. Look into Timbren stuff if u plan to go crazy with off roading.
I put windows in mine that fit between the wall studs, 22 inch wide windows in my case. This is not necessary but does maintain strength.
Build it light. You do not need 1/2 plywood inside. Plan to attach cabinets directly through the paneling to the steel studs, not to a heavy plywood wall. Make notes with a sharpie on the wood where the frame studs are, this can be hidden at top or bottom, and make note at top and bottom as many trailers are not built so precise that you can be sure the stud is not crooked. Build light! my mottos is "no 2x4's were used"
Do insulate the roof with at least 2 inches. 1 inch on the walls, if that is the stud thickness, is fine.
You said base camp, so yes, cargo trailer will be super durable and hold up many many times better than a camper would, and this is one reason why ppl build off of cargo trailers.
Go solar. 200-300 watts at least. MPPT controller. Solar is king. Plan that from the start. Plan your electrical wiring run so you run wires before the walls are up. Put in "future" wiring so you have the wire there if you want changes or additions.

Redheddedwonder

thanks for the input! I think we will find a used basic cargo trailer for now, the market in Denver is simply crazy so may take some time to find a decent deal!

billiebob

Aluminium vs Steel.

The big differences.

Rust free, not rust free
Fragile, Resilient
Lighter, Heavier

Expensive, less expensive.

But the big difference is steel is resilient, aluminium is brittle.
You won't find a logging truck or gravel truck with aluminium frames/bodies because they operate in severe duty conditions.
You will find highway semis using aluminium so they can haul an extra tonne of payload, but they will be running Interstates.
So figure where you will be driving before spending the extra money on aluminium.

ps, the better steel alloys, HSS, is stronger, lighter and with less iron, more nickel?? less affected by rust than cheap steels.
Cheap steel tube is heavy and rust prone. I'd always pick a High Strength Steel alloy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz