Alberta Bound & Beyond

owyheerat

Adventurer
Good Gaaawwwddd your pics are awesome! I would love to 'adventure' with you. There seems to be no repair you and your crew can not overcome. Awesome trip report...well except for your front diff. Have you determined what caused the damage? Would hitting that dip at speed cause that?

Also, have you got your super charger working?

Thanks for taking the time to post another great trip report.

Blackdawg

Dr. Frankenstein
Good Gaaawwwddd your pics are awesome! I would love to 'adventure' with you. There seems to be no repair you and your crew can not overcome. Awesome trip report...well except for your front diff. Have you determined what caused the damage? Would hitting that dip at speed cause that?

Also, have you got your super charger working?

Thanks for taking the time to post another great trip report.

Thanks man! We have been around the block so to speak and try and prepare for the worst. We have had a lot of explosions on the trail.

Never figured out what cause the diff to go. I think it was just how i set the gears. I did them myself and it was my first time and doing the clam shell SUCKS. So im blaming my lack of knowledge and experience there. Doubt it was the dip. Id hit worse stuff before.

Haven't gotten the blower working but haven't tinkered with it much. Still being annoying though. Have a new plan of attack for the spring with it.

Thanks for reading and commenting!

icedragonmx

Adventurer
Great stories and pictures! Thanks for posting them. I still remember having to replace a blown front locker and driveshafts in the middle of a multi-day trail run. Pays to have all the right stuff with you!

vitola231

Observer
image.jpg

This was female moose, this van is much taller than it looks, waaaay taller than my Range Rover. I mentioned movies because you have good eye for shots. I take photos with any camera and they're awful, my wife takes with iPhone and they are beautiful. That's a good gift to have.

Blackdawg

Dr. Frankenstein
Glad to see your group enjoyed my backyard.

Thanks for reading. You have a killer back yard!

Outstanding! Many fine memories relived. Thanks.

Thank you!

Great stories and pictures! Thanks for posting them. I still remember having to replace a blown front locker and driveshafts in the middle of a multi-day trail run. Pays to have all the right stuff with you!

Yea it is always nice to not have to call a tow rig. Been there as well! thanks for reading!

View attachment 384444

This was female moose, this van is much taller than it looks, waaaay taller than my Range Rover. I mentioned movies because you have good eye for shots. I take photos with any camera and they're awful, my wife takes with iPhone and they are beautiful. That's a good gift to have.

Dang! Thing must be super tall to not have the moose in the windshield! Glad youre okay!

vitola231

Observer
That's up north, police offered to help put moose in back of van so I could keep for food, ah, plus 30c out, no thanks��

unkamonkey

Explorer
I can't say that I have ever hit anything larger than a Phesant on the road. My friend Duncan grew up in the bay area and they moved to Idaho to get his family back to the land. He worked in the tiny hospital at night as a janitor to fund his way through schooling to get his degree as an ultrasound tech. It really was a small hospital so on night shift there may have been a doctor, a nurse and him there. He got called more than once to go down to the ER to help. They had a Christmas party one year and Duncan was driving his pickup home. Knowing Duncan, he had more than one beer.
He hit the deer and as he had a hunting license he could throw it in the back of his truck to use as food. So, on towards home he looks in his rear view mirror and the deer is standing in the truck bed with it's head hanging out like a dog would do. He stopped and the deer ran off.

Blackdawg

Dr. Frankenstein
I can't say that I have ever hit anything larger than a Phesant on the road. My friend Duncan grew up in the bay area and they moved to Idaho to get his family back to the land. He worked in the tiny hospital at night as a janitor to fund his way through schooling to get his degree as an ultrasound tech. It really was a small hospital so on night shift there may have been a doctor, a nurse and him there. He got called more than once to go down to the ER to help. They had a Christmas party one year and Duncan was driving his pickup home. Knowing Duncan, he had more than one beer.
He hit the deer and as he had a hunting license he could throw it in the back of his truck to use as food. So, on towards home he looks in his rear view mirror and the deer is standing in the truck bed with it's head hanging out like a dog would do. He stopped and the deer ran off.

RFOL That's a funny story!

unkamonkey

Explorer
Duncan was a good friend but he passed a few years ago from Hep C. I have lots of tales about him and about others I have been friends with over the years. I rarely tell about Duncan and his drug crazed friend out with a .357 shooting out streetlights in SF at night or him out with a .444 Marlin bare assed naked in the middle of the night to protect their chickens from the fox in Mt.
We did 2 friends ashes a few years ago at the confluence at the Green and Colorado rivers in Utah. Duncan and another friend Rob, were sent off to where they wanted to be.
If you understand air currents in canyons, we ended up with more of the ashes on us. I suppose they got their last laugh in.

Blackdawg

Dr. Frankenstein
Duncan was a good friend but he passed a few years ago from Hep C. I have lots of tales about him and about others I have been friends with over the years. I rarely tell about Duncan and his drug crazed friend out with a .357 shooting out streetlights in SF at night or him out with a .444 Marlin bare assed naked in the middle of the night to protect their chickens from the fox in Mt.
We did 2 friends ashes a few years ago at the confluence at the Green and Colorado rivers in Utah. Duncan and another friend Rob, were sent off to where they wanted to be.
If you understand air currents in canyons, we ended up with more of the ashes on us. I suppose they got their last laugh in.

Im sorry to hear that. That's no fun. But sounds like you have a lot of good memories. Id recommend writing them down for good measure even if you don't ever share them. Be fun to share someday with someone.

unkamonkey

Explorer
Life goes on and you just try to deal with it as best that you can, however I can on a good day call up tales about the dogs over my years and I actually have several dog lovers that want to enjoy what I have typed out about them in my life.
The bad, I have had to deal with 4 suicides around my life but on the good side I have had many pup or cat friends in my life, I'm even friends with the rabbits in my yard.
A few people want me to type up my critter tales and one woman wants to edit them for publication. ******, I just started writing them up for her sister in FL to read while she was recovering from a knee transplant. It had to be better than a day in the hospital. I've been there.

Enjoy your life, you seem to be doing well with it.

John

Blackdawg

Dr. Frankenstein
Life goes on and you just try to deal with it as best that you can, however I can on a good day call up tales about the dogs over my years and I actually have several dog lovers that want to enjoy what I have typed out about them in my life.
The bad, I have had to deal with 4 suicides around my life but on the good side I have had many pup or cat friends in my life, I'm even friends with the rabbits in my yard.
A few people want me to type up my critter tales and one woman wants to edit them for publication. ******, I just started writing them up for her sister in FL to read while she was recovering from a knee transplant. It had to be better than a day in the hospital. I've been there.

Enjoy your life, you seem to be doing well with it.

John

Yea i like writing these out mostly so my friends and I can look back on it and smile. Sharing with everyone else is just a nice byproduct of it all and I am glad people enjoy it as much and get inspired.

So really, this is all selfish of me :p I just like writing them. So in 20 years i can look back and smile :)

That's what i'd recommend. Everyone memories fail eventually. Easy to recall if you have nice notes.

Thanks for sharing your stories in here. I enjoyed them. Hope you make many more to come.

vitola231

Observer
Haha, the deer lived. Reminds me of norther pike. Catch it, get it in the boat and hit it with a hammer. Few hours later you go to open bag at home and the friggn pike bites you, hit it with a hammer. Go inside, bandage yourself up and get a knife and cutting board, when you go back out the pike is gone, it's flopping down your yard headed back to its river��. My friends sturgeon fished with a fishing rod and a shotgun just incase they caught one��.

I wonder if it wasn't the angle of the axle that caused the diff housing to break? Maybe being lifted and a rapid impact caused it not to flex at cv joints but break out of the differential housing. Very curios about the cause.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles