Alaskan truck camper converted to a travel trailer!

myfootstepsfirm

I converted my late-60's Alaskan truck camper to a travel trailer back in 2016. I've been using it regularly for over two years now and LOVE it. Thought I'd share the build in case anyone else was thinking about converting their truck camper to a travel trailer.

Here's the short of it:

Bought a late sixties 8' NCO (Non-Cab Over) Alaskan camper, mounted it to a new 6' x 8' trailer from Tractor Supply. Cut the rails off of the cargo trailer, built a 3/4" square stock frame, skinned it in white aluminum, and mounted vintage cargo doors and vintage vent doors purchased at an RV salvage yard.

TOTAL Gross Weight of trailer with all gear loaded (everything except food): 2,100 lbs (GVWR 2,400 lbs)

Tongue weight: 220 lbs (spec is 360 lbs max)

Drive axle weight: 1880 lbs (spec is 2200 lbs max)

Each Maxxis M8008 tire is capable of a maximum weight of 1480 lbs each (2,960 combined)

The Tractor Supply 6 x 8 trailer weights 725 lbs

The remaining weight is 1375 lbs....so figure 100lbs for gear (there isn't much) so the Alaskan weighs ~1275 lbs

My flavor of camping might be a little different than most of the folks on Expedition Portal but thought I'd share my build anyway.
I love the post WWII era 1945-1949 so I wanted to give the interior that look...without actually modifying the inside of the trailer. I kept it 100% original..,but added a vintage radio, 1940's wall art, and tropical barkcloth curtains.

I love the juxtaposition of a refined vintage weekend out in the wilderness. It's a weird thrill to be out in the middle of nowhere and cook a full post-war dinner in period correct style. Yes...super weird I know...lol.

Anyway, here's the pics. Enjoy and please feel free to ask questions or comment.

Alaskan utility trailer.jpg
Initial mount to cargo trailer!
Alaskan_rear.png
Conversion complete - hydraulic roof down
Alaskan_Vespa.jpg
Hydraulic roof up
Alaskan_Truck.jpg
Alaskan Interior_Final.jpg

Alaskan_Interior_2.jpg
Alaskan_Stove.jpg
Lights_Alaskan.jpeg
Alaskan_Tea.jpg
Sunday afternoon tea
IMG_0861.jpg
Ready for the holidays!

kerry

Expedition Leader
You hooked up with Tin Can tourists? I've been to a couple of their shows at Sampson State Park on Seneca Lake in NY.

myfootstepsfirm

You hooked up with Tin Can tourists? I've been to a couple of their shows at Sampson State Park on Seneca Lake in NY.
Kerry - I've been on their website a few times...great organization! Not a member, but maybe now's the time...

Cool setup and well done and I really, really dig the scooters!!
Thanks! The blue one is a 1962 Vespa 150 (all original) and the red one is a 2005 Vespa PX150...both 2-stroke w manual transmissions..."shifty smokers" as they're called lol.

Bevin

I converted my late-60's Alaskan truck camper to a travel trailer back in 2016. I've been using it regularly for over two years now and LOVE it. Thought I'd share the build in case anyone else was thinking about converting their truck camper to a travel trailer.

Here's the short of it:

Bought a late sixties 8' NCO (Non-Cab Over) Alaskan camper, mounted it to a new 6' x 8' trailer from Tractor Supply. Cut the rails off of the cargo trailer, built a 3/4" square stock frame, skinned it in white aluminum, and mounted vintage cargo doors and vintage vent doors purchased at an RV salvage yard.

TOTAL Gross Weight of trailer with all gear loaded (everything except food): 2,100 lbs (GVWR 2,400 lbs)

Tongue weight: 220 lbs (spec is 360 lbs max)

Drive axle weight: 1880 lbs (spec is 2200 lbs max)

Each Maxxis M8008 tire is capable of a maximum weight of 1480 lbs each (2,960 combined)

The Tractor Supply 6 x 8 trailer weights 725 lbs

The remaining weight is 1375 lbs....so figure 100lbs for gear (there isn't much) so the Alaskan weighs ~1275 lbs

My flavor of camping might be a little different than most of the folks on Expedition Portal but thought I'd share my build anyway.
I love the post WWII era 1945-1949 so I wanted to give the interior that look...without actually modifying the inside of the trailer. I kept it 100% original..,but added a vintage radio, 1940's wall art, and tropical barkcloth curtains.

I love the juxtaposition of a refined vintage weekend out in the wilderness. It's a weird thrill to be out in the middle of nowhere and cook a full post-war dinner in period correct style. Yes...super weird I know...lol.

Anyway, here's the pics. Enjoy and please feel free to ask questions or comment.

View attachment 486972
Initial mount to cargo trailer!
View attachment 486973
Conversion complete - hydraulic roof down
View attachment 486974
Hydraulic roof up
View attachment 486975
View attachment 486976

View attachment 486978
View attachment 486979
View attachment 486982
View attachment 486989
Sunday afternoon tea
View attachment 486991
Ready for the holidays!
Awesome job, great innovation!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

NYON

This looks like a great alternative way to use a truck camper!! I was wondering how you managed to attach the camper to the 6x8 trailer? Is it hard mounted to the wooden floor of the trailer using bolts or something similar? Or perhaps you built a frame around the camper base on the trailer? Would be great if you could shed some light on how you made this project work!!

Looks like you're really enjoying the camper!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94