Alaskan Flatbed Camper: Flagstaff, Arizona, to the Arctic Ocean at Tuktoyaktuk

Romero

Hi folks, we are working and playing our way from Flagstaff, Arizona, to the Arctic Ocean at Tuktoyatuk in our Alaskan flatbed Camper. The first flatbed Alaskan built and the last tray XP Camper built. Follow along on Instagram at walkerab0ut ... the 0 is a zero.

Romero

About the height, when up the inside is about 6' 2". I was in the AK camper factory and Bryan was building a extra tall top for someone who was taller than that. So I suppose possible. Used I would imagine har to find taller.

PS. I sold the 2016 Ford 350, the one in the icon pic. All was fine with the Ford for the AK camper, but we decided to go for a bit more room, for camera gear and dog and a smoother ride since we will be on 1000's of miles of dirt roads, including the road into our off grid cabin when we return. The 3500 crew cab Chevy, with the 7 foot flat bed is working great. A lot of locals up here have Chevys. Hmm. We LOVE the camper and our truck set up. It is meeting all our needs, expectations of all the planning of the rig and FUN and easy to set up.

We left Flagstaff June 15th and still travelling. We headed north on the Cassiar (awesome and not crowded), then Dempster to Tuk and now going south on the Robert Campbell. We are travelling slower than most, and on the roads less traveled, a lot of side wanders, and I can see how we could spend 5 months going north and south. Our 3 month plan may not be enough. Will keep posting when we can and till the end.

Vector13

About the height, when up the inside is about 6' 2". I was in the AK camper factory and Bryan was building a extra tall top for someone who was taller than that. So I suppose possible. Used I would imagine har to find taller.

PS. I sold the 2016 Ford 350, the one in the icon pic. All was fine with the Ford for the AK camper, but we decided to go for a bit more room, for camera gear and dog and a smoother ride since we will be on 1000's of miles of dirt roads, including the road into our off grid cabin when we return. The 3500 crew cab Chevy, with the 7 foot flat bed is working great. A lot of locals up here have Chevys. Hmm. We LOVE the camper and our truck set up. It is meeting all our needs, expectations of all the planning of the rig and FUN and easy to set up.

We left Flagstaff June 15th and still travelling. We headed north on the Cassiar (awesome and not crowded), then Dempster to Tuk and now going south on the Robert Campbell. We are travelling slower than most, and on the roads less traveled, a lot of side wanders, and I can see how we could spend 5 months going north and south. Our 3 month plan may not be enough. Will keep posting when we can and till the end.

I really like your tray with pull out stairs and back table. Can you post a picture or two here or on IG showing the stairs in more detail?
Happy adventuring!!

Romero

Thanks for sharing our overland voyage! We are back in Flagstaff. Cut a wee bit short, all is great when you have no expectations and the time to work and wander.

The trip to Tuktoyaktuk, NWT was a pleasure in so many ways. 75 days and 10,500 miles. We had an unbelievable time watching incredible wildlife, meeting lovely people, and being bitten by large insects in the Far North.
Loved our rig, had no issues and for a fully loaded (11,000lbs.) gas 3500 truck, 12-16 mpg is not as bad, as I thought it may be.

instep.jpgmapfeet.jpgsleepdiego.jpegstepin.jpgsteps.jpgsunsetrip.jpgtray.jpg

L57

Thank you for sharing. What a fantastic adventure in a rig built to go there. Beautiful photographs!

Romero

XP camper built the flatbed tray. I believe it was the last one before they went into auction/out of business. They may be looking to reorganize, not sure. They have not posted anything since I picked up my bed in April.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles