Alaskan Dinette Bed Frustration

Nailhead

Can someone enlighten me on how to assemble the dinette cushions in my ‘85 CO into a usable bed? I’m apparently not bright enough to do so.

Here’s the sitch:

9f03cc440bac9b0c8ff807f77403f22a.jpg

Those base cushions have small wood blocks screwed to the bottom to hold them in place. They don’t work well anywhere but the position pictured.

This is as close to a bed as I could get, try as I might:

88622981de3d064b15933466365c8a52.jpg

Here’s a thank you for reading this far:

4e589e0ead32850631d51b31675f347d.jpg

This bed, to my seemingly addle-brained eye, isn’t designed to work.

Help a moron out, won’t you?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Sorry I don't have an inkling on how to help, but wanted to say that's a gorgeous package.

I would have assumed the two cushions would wedge down into that space, but from the photos they look wide for that. I'm guessing you've tried setting them into the space at and angle like this "_/\_" and then forcing the peak down to wedge everything tight?

Can someone enlighten me on how to assemble the dinette cushions in my ‘85 CO into a usable bed? I’m apparently not bright enough to do so.

Here’s the sitch:

Those base cushions have small wood blocks screwed to the bottom to hold them in place. They don’t work well anywhere but the position pictured.

You might post your question on Wander the West, there is a vintage Alaskan community there, or send the factory a message and ask the experts.

Nailhead

Sorry I don't have an inkling on how to help, but wanted to say that's a gorgeous package.

I would have assumed the two cushions would wedge down into that space, but from the photos they look wide for that. I'm guessing you've tried setting them into the space at and angle like this "_/\_" and then forcing the peak down to wedge everything tight?

Thank you for the reply. There is a 10"+- difference between that gap and the width of the remaining cushion, and the cushions have a hardboard backing. I simply can't imagine how that last one could be wedged into that space. It's like a truck mounted, pop-up parlor game.

Thank you for the compliment, BTW.

Last edited:

Nailhead

You might post your question on Wander the West, there is a vintage Alaskan community there, or send the factory a message and ask the experts.

Thank you for the suggestion, but I'm not computer literate enough to post up a pic over there using their arcane, nonsensical posting procedure, and nowhere near patient enough to put up with being ridiculed for my lack of computer literacy like has happened in the past. I'll sleep under the truck before I go back there.

If we can't solve this mystery here, I'll just have to call Brian at Alaskan.

Nailhead

Its hard to visualise without bigger picture or measurement...
Anyway,
Did you try configuration like this ´Ε’ ?

It's hard to visualize standing in front of it.

I'm not sure what "E" means, but I think I should mention that really the only assumption I've made concerning cushion orientation is that they should run perpendicular across those support battens like decking runs over joists. I think that's how I remember the dinette setup in my grandfather's NCO back in the early '70's, and I thought this one would be identical. I can't see running those cushions parallel to the battens and staying off the floor in between for long.

The cushions are 48" long, the width of the available space is 76"+-.

Nailhead

try putting the last one against the wall on it's side

I have, but it still leaves that gap you see in the middle because those base cushions are located in place by the wood blocks attached to their backs. I've tried moving them to open up that gap (in hopes of fitting that last cushion in), and they wobble really annoyingly if they're pushed back flush against the camper wall.

Isn't this fun?

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
I’m betting the problem is likely because those aren’t the original AK cushions.
Somewhere along the way, it’s probable that someone re-made them, maybe just to improve the dinette without caring about their use as a bed

Nailhead

I’m betting the problem is likely because those aren’t the original AK cushions.
Somewhere along the way, it’s probable that someone re-made them, maybe just to improve the dinette without caring about their use as a bed

That occurred to me, but I'm not convinced simply because they fit very well when used in their seating positions. Maybe Brian can provide me with stock cushion dimensions.

1000arms

That occurred to me, but I'm not convinced simply because they fit very well when used in their seating positions. Maybe Brian can provide me with stock cushion dimensions.
Is one of the cushions supposed to be placed on edge (instead of flat) at the head of the bed?

Although it would cut in to leg room, it would allow one to easily sit up in bed and read, and it might be the way it was designed.

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
Is one of the cushions supposed to be placed on edge (instead of flat) at the head of the bed?

Although it would cut in to leg room, it would allow one to easily sit up in bed and read, and it might be the way it was designed.
I seem to remember this too from the one or two I've been in years ago.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.

Here’s the sitch:

Killer rig.

Nailhead

I tried this, but two factors queered it: 1. It required repositioning a base cushion, which didn't work because of the wood blocks previously discussed. 2. It still left a 4-5" gap in the bed, which didn't seem right.

Nailhead

Killer rig.
Thanks! The camper is only on that truck for a place to put it (no space for two footprints); it's way too slow & underpowered to actually go anywhere. When The Plague clears, I'll be setting it on a '72 IH 1-ton 4x4.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94