alaskan camper problem

KELLEVRA

Observer
I am wondering if anyone on EP can help. I have a 1958 Alaskan camper 10' non cab over. When lifting it doesnt raise even. has anyone else had the same problem and if so what is the fix?. Thanks for any help

fluffyprinceton

Adventurer
Uneven front to back or side to side?
Does it evenout when it reaches the top of the lift stops?
Does it lower evenly or get hung up?

Either it's hanging up on an obstruction, one of the lifts is weak (and would show visible leaking) or the lifts aren't in sync because 1. the equalizer valves need adjusting (yours may not have them) or 2. one of the hydraulic hoses (or copper tube depending on year) is crimped or otherwise inhibiting flow.

The fit between upper & lower is pretty loose & forgiving - as long as it doesn't hang up due to extreme angles you may not have a problem - they often don't raise evenly & it's "normal" if it's not binding up - at least in the two older ones ('68 & '74) I've had - Moe

Last edited:

Carlyle

Explorer
Front and back is adjusted with the valves. Side to side is adjusted by the weight in the top. First, I would make sure all the O-rings and not needing replacement in the lift system and go from there. I f that doesn't help, get hold of Bryan at Alaskan Campers.

Carl

Freebird

Adventurer
While you are learning the hydrolic lift system (or adjusting/fine tuning it):
Have your camping partner or DW push the "up button", or open the "let down valve" while you add weight (you) to the high side going up, or your weight to the high side when letting it go down. Your partial (but significant) weight will make a difference. Also you can PUSH up on a low corner to help level the process.
BTW, it is ok to stop the process (button or valve lever) so you can move to a better position to add the weight, and then continue the process. Or, reverse the process, and start over with more of your weight where you need it.
Yes, that is the reason I carry a few(?) extra lbs. of body wt. around!

With time and attention you can fine tune the process where it is (usually) an easy and predictable process if your on near level ground-if your system is working well and reasonably well adjusted.

Like a lot of things, practice makes it easy.

I admit, when I was learning the process I considered adding some stout grab handles to hang myself by an arm to help with the procedure, but I think now I mostly have it tamed. :)

arktrekker

Adventurer
One of the ones I bought had a similar issue, ok actually a couple of the ones I have owned.

1. The problem was that one of the previous owners had thrown what was probably motor oil into the system which caused offside and all sorts of lift problems that were slightly different each time. Drained the system and went back with a good gear oil and that problem went away.

2. Had one that would bind on one side and then suddenly pop loose or raise if I went over and helped it. Problem there was that one of the screws in the track was sticking out catching the outer track and stopping the lift until the pressure (or me) popped it loose.

I'm not sure if the 58 even has valves to fine tune the system. I have been giving serious thoughts to replacing my hydraulics with linear actuators when I tear it down for the co to nco build

sett

Observer
Linear Actuators

Arktrekker:

Have also considered using linear actuators to replace the hydraulics. Did you ever get beyond the consideration stage?

tsm

arktrekker

Adventurer
Have done a little research, but i'm waiting until I get the top pulled off and rebuilt to the final size. I have some scales left over from racing days so I can get an accurate weight at each corner. Then it is just a matter of getting the throw needed to get to full lift.

KELLEVRA

Observer
Thank you to all for your possible solutions. I will get a chance to check on some of those possibilities over the weekend. I will keep you all informed on my findings.

KELLEVRA

Observer
The problem with the camper ended up being not enough support in the rear causing the camper to spread in the rear ever so slightly putting a bind on the lift. Thank you to all who offered help :)

bob91yj

Resident **************
I think it's way cool that you came back and old us what the fix is.

Now we'll be needing some pictures of your truck/camper!:sombrero:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles