Alaskan Camper Build Up

waynebrock

new member question

I am not replying to the most recent questions or thread, but have a question myself which someone might answer. Hope this is the correct way of doing it.

I have a 2014 GMC 2500 HD, Diesel, 4x4, crew cab, long bed and am ordering an 8' Alaskan camper. Does anyone have a quesstimate of the amount of drop in height I will get when the camper is on. I plan to garage the camper on the truck and am having to have the garage door size increased.

Wayne

fisher205

Explorer
I am not replying to the most recent questions or thread, but have a question myself which someone might answer. Hope this is the correct way of doing it.

I have a 2014 GMC 2500 HD, Diesel, 4x4, crew cab, long bed and am ordering an 8' Alaskan camper. Does anyone have a quesstimate of the amount of drop in height I will get when the camper is on. I plan to garage the camper on the truck and am having to have the garage door size increased.

Wayne

You shouldn't see hardly any drop if your suspension is set up right. At least I wouldn't plan on any if I was planning something permanent like my garage door.

superbuickguy

Explorer

Wayne

You shouldn't see hardly any drop if your suspension is set up right. At least I wouldn't plan on any if I was planning something permanent like my garage door.

I agree with fisher, get the tallest door you can fit on your building

flylow4500

Observer
I believe that is where he has been going.

carlye, have you thought about 37 inch Toyo Mt's? they are rated at 4300 lbs in 17 inch. Only other option looks like stepping up to mpt 41's or big rig 22.5 inch rims found on the earthroamer. I cant believe you are only getting 36k for two sets of tires, and those tire are not cheap.

17" wheels won't fit over the breaks and it's a 10 lug which means the wheel doesn't exist.

I've been looking over options on bigger tires for months. I ended up with 22.5s and 295s I don't have any time on them so I can't say how they work. At 7400lbs per tire they probably aren't squishy. The definitely are not aggressive but they could be grooved or trimmed out to be more aggressive.

Carlyle

Explorer
Well unless I switch wheels or put a lift on this truck I can't switch tires. Any suggestions on a good price on the Conti's?

Francis

Carlye
Have you tried Expedition-Imports.Com he sells Contential MPT 70s 80s & 81s. Scott has some Michelin's.
Francis

guidolyons

Addicted to Gear Oil
Carl,

Just read through your entire thread after clicking the link in your sig. Quite the voyage, I agree with a previous poster that said this truck & camper are a phoenix rising from the ashes...wow. No advice on the tire wear, though.

Glad to see you moved the spare tire around back, up front was horrible. Two years on...How has the swing away been holding up since it was reinforced? When you moved it around back, I thought you might have it swing down and integrate entry stairs on the back of the tire carrier.

Darwin

Explorer
How's the camper been? Still using it for work? I work nights at a hospital in various locations, maybe Denver next...thinking about getting an alaskan to save on temp. apartment headaches.

deminimis

Explorer
Your inbox in full, so I'll ask here. I perused your build thread and perhaps I missed it. Did you have to lift your Ram for the wheel/tire combo? If so, how much, etc? What gear ratio are you running? How is it working out with the 41" tires? Thanks.

Carlyle

Explorer
I'm using the gear ration that was available on the 5500. The tires are about 37.5" tall and I put a leveling kit from Rev-Tek on the front. They were the only people at the that guaranteed it for the 5500. Works great with only slight rub when turning all the way. BTW, factory bumper would not work and serious plastic trimming.

Hope this helps and have a great Christmas,

Carl

deminimis

Explorer
Thanks Carl. Just checked Rev Tek's prices. What a welcomed price difference from the complete Cognito system I installed on my former Silverado. Sorry for my confusion as I thought your were running the 335, not the 275 tires. The 335 tires are just too freak'n tall, but not sure I can give up the weight capacity with the 275s as I'll be using nearly all of my 19.5k GVWR (steel bed is approx 1,200# and camper, when stuffed, and filled with beer (and water) will be close to 6,000#). The 37.4" tire diameter is definitely more desirable as I'm not a big lift kinda guy. Thanks for letting me play through Carl. Happy Holidays to you too!

deminimis

Explorer
Yea, even if I could, I don't think I would. But I suspect I'll be leveling her a bit (Rev Tek -thanks again), but that's about it. Once the truck arrives, I'll have to load it up and get some real world rear axle weights. My guess is the 275s just won't get me there. I don't mind having duals, it's just the inability to air down when in Baja (often hours on washboard) that has me bummed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles