Alaskan Camper Build Up

bobfnbw

Carlye, real nice rig. Thanks for the extensive time it took to chronicle this for the rest of us. My questions after reading this all involves the camper itself. I know its called a camper... but wonder how you and your wife would feel if you had to spend several years in it traveling extensively, like during retirement. Would the Alaskan work for you or would it get to small quickly, like during rain. And speaking of rain, how well does the Alaskan handle that. Does it leak in a downpour? Any issues of this. I watched as your camper was built, thinking they should use a epoxy sealer on the extensive use of wood but didn't see any. Reason I ask is that I am looking towards retirement in a few years and while I would love a class A diesel pusher, they just won't go where I would want to go. Not really off road per say, but beach, mountain roads, mud, etc. A class C is not going to work either. A truck camper seems to be the one I am leaning towards the most, but most trucks cant handle the weight, unless you go like you did on this build. And a fine build it is.
I am a large guy, 6'1", 230 lbs... and not sure if being in such a small space during days of inclement weather would be good, so am leaning more towards Campers with slide outs to maximize the interior space for those types of day. But not sure how they would hold up on the types of roads I plan to travel on... such a Baja..
Any thought on this ? When its time to retire do you plan to stay in the Alaskanabego ? Could you do it full time ?

One more question... Where did you mount your air compressors ? What was the distance from the batteries? Any problem with dirt and water on them there ?

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions.
Bob

Overland Hadley

on a journey
and not sure if being in such a small space during days of inclement weather would be good, so am leaning more towards Campers with slide outs to maximize the interior space for those types of day. But not sure how they would hold up on the types of roads I plan to travel on... such a Baja..

You could look at Host campers. They have multiple slides, and build campers to fit on Fusos, so they might be able to handle rough roads better than others. Just an idea, no affiliation, never even seen one of their campers, just an idea.

Carlyle

Explorer
Carlye, real nice rig. Thanks for the extensive time it took to chronicle this for the rest of us. My questions after reading this all involves the camper itself. I know its called a camper... but wonder how you and your wife would feel if you had to spend several years in it traveling extensively, like during retirement. Would the Alaskan work for you or would it get to small quickly, like during rain. And speaking of rain, how well does the Alaskan handle that. Does it leak in a downpour? Any issues of this. I watched as your camper was built, thinking they should use a epoxy sealer on the extensive use of wood but didn't see any. Reason I ask is that I am looking towards retirement in a few years and while I would love a class A diesel pusher, they just won't go where I would want to go. Not really off road per say, but beach, mountain roads, mud, etc. A class C is not going to work either. A truck camper seems to be the one I am leaning towards the most, but most trucks cant handle the weight, unless you go like you did on this build. And a fine build it is.
I am a large guy, 6'1", 230 lbs... and not sure if being in such a small space during days of inclement weather would be good, so am leaning more towards Campers with slide outs to maximize the interior space for those types of day. But not sure how they would hold up on the types of roads I plan to travel on... such a Baja..
Any thought on this ? When its time to retire do you plan to stay in the Alaskanabego ? Could you do it full time ?

One more question... Where did you mount your air compressors ? What was the distance from the batteries? Any problem with dirt and water on them there ?

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions.
Bob

Hi Bob,

Just to try and answer a few questions for you to the bet of my ability:

We went down the same route and looked at class a and c campers and decided that none of them were going to meet our needs. I think camping in a small camper is more of a state of mind than anything else. You can either adapt to staying in a small area or you can't, best try it out before you invest to much time, money and energy in a small camper. I'm always outside doing stuff anyways unless it's really nasty out. Neither your height nor your weight should be an issue in the Alaskan, and Bryan at Alaskan can make so the top goes up a little higher so even people taller than you can navigate it easily.

When I retire in six years, we plan to make extensive trips of one to three months with our camper. Could we full time? Probably, but it's really nice to come back to the property as well. The camper and truck have traveled on some nasty as* roads and has not had any issues other than a ball joint and leaky differential so far. Ball joint on factory back order.... We've been to the Baja in our other campers multiple times, and i would trust this camper down there, except for the lack of ultra low sulfur diesel.

The compressors are mounted under the truck between the twin beams in front of the rear fuel tank about mid way on the truck. they are about 12-14 feet from the truck batteries that they run off of. The intakes are snaked up a little higher with dust covers on them. I've had zero issues with water or dust, but them I leave them off when I don't need them.

Hope this helps,

Carl

Carlyle

Explorer
Wheels and tires

Hi everyone,

I need some suggestions and good advice.

My MPT-81 tires are now needing to be replaced for the second time after 36,000 miles. This really isn't acceptable. I could lift the truck and put ZXL's under, but would prefer not to. The other alternative is to go to a 22.5 wheel and a different tire like Earthroamer does.

Suggestions? Advice?

Carlyle

Explorer
Alignment is dead on as I have a life time free alignment that I use every 3k. Smallest ZXL is about 41" and would require a least a 4" lift from my 37.5" MPT's as far I can figure. I would rather not lift the truck and deal with those issues though.

boblynch

Adventurer
Am I reading correctly that you're on the second set after only 36K miles on the new truck? I'm at 22K on my first set now. At what tread depth did you replace the 1st set? I agree with your earlier posts on speed and heat. At low speed and heat they seem like they will last forever. However, on long hot summer runs on the highway they wear fast.

Carlyle

Explorer
Hi Bob,

Yes, my second set is running low on tread. I do not have an exact measurement, but they only have until winter hits before I replace them. I like to have lots of tread on the ice and snow. Thought about retreading them, but no idea about the process or what to expect from the product. Definitely not my first or even second choice.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Oh wow, I misread that. You have gone through two sets in 36k! I thought you were getting that much out of each set.

Would it be worth it to take it to another alignment place to have stuff double checked? Have you noticed any odd wear patterns?

Carlyle

Explorer
This place did the best alignment and most places can't align a 5500. No really unusual wear patterns at this point.

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
I've learned not to waste my time getting an alignment at the car shops. Go to a big rig alignment shop. They don't even bat an eye when you roll up with oversize tires and wide axles.

Darwin

Explorer
I've learned not to waste my time getting an alignment at the car shops. Go to a big rig alignment shop. They don't even bat an eye when you roll up with oversize tires and wide axles.
I believe that is where he has been going.

carlye, have you thought about 37 inch Toyo Mt's? they are rated at 4300 lbs in 17 inch. Only other option looks like stepping up to mpt 41's or big rig 22.5 inch rims found on the earthroamer. I cant believe you are only getting 36k for two sets of tires, and those tire are not cheap.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles