aisin hub swap in part question

FJOE

Regular Dude
So I'm swapping in Aisin manual hubs on my 95 T100. I know that there is a gold bolt on the face of the axle shaft that is prone to breaking. This bolt is revealed when you take off the grease cap. For the life of me, i cant find this part name or number on the Toyota parts diagram. I am worried that when I begin my swap, I will break one. I am abroad, and I can't get these parts easily here. I need to order them before begin my build. Does anyone know what this part is called or its part number?

gold bolt.jpg

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Are you converting from automatic hubs or does the truck have an automatic diff disconnect (ADD)? I'm 99% sure the ADD trucks have an important clip inside, so all you have to do is remove the drive plate, pop the 6 cone washers, remove the bolt and body and go backwards with the manual hubs. I'm not sure if the auto hub trucks have the same parts (these are the hubs that lock themselves and you back up to unlock).

On the manual hubs (and ADD) that bolt isn't strictly critical and AFAIK it's there for a couple of reasons.

One is it serves as a backup to the clip that is actually holding everything snug, which if that snap clip was to break would let the axle walk backwards out of the hub/spindle. So you should have that bolt in place for just in case.

Second, I always used to remove that bolt so that I could that location to fasten a cheater lever to pull on the axle. You will argue, cuss, throw wrenches trying to get the axle pulled in far enough to get that damned snap in place on the slot. So using a little bolt with a bracket so you can pull with a bar or something lets you have a free hand to get the clip on.

You won't see it with the hub body still on. BTW, I don't think this is an iFS hub, but the view is representative. On your hubs the brake rotor is bolted on from the back, so you won't see those bolts.

20150609_191639_zpsobm9lolu.jpg

But when you remove the 6 cone washers and nuts, then pull off the hub body you'll see (or should see) the ring at the end of the axle. If you look close, follow the axle end splines back towards the wheel bearing, there's a small diameter clip in front of a thrust washer.

P1010023-1.jpg

If the bolt breaks it's not the end of the world, more of an irritation. You can still put the hub back together but it's just a PITA. If the clip breaks then you're hosed. That is really the critical part.

Last edited:

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Here's another view of the spindle and axle.

Note that splines, look left about an inch there's a slot where the clip that actual retains the axle. My memory is there's a thrust washer behind it, which rides against the brass bushing that's inside the spindle. People are tempted to remove the thrust washer because it's almost impossible to get the clip in the slot with it there, but it's important to have it.

This brass bushing has slots milled in it to allow grease to flow through and that's what lets the axle itself float inside the spindle without binding. A little bit of grease from the wheel bearings is allowed to flow through it and slowly weeps through. If you delete the thrust washer then the clip can rotate against that brass bushing, which would wear it out potentially. The thrust washer presents a smooth surface against the brass rather than the sharp edges of the clip.

Anyway, that bolt on the outside is there just in case the clip breaks, which if it did would mean the axle could come out of the back of the spindle. The bolt allows only a slight amount of movement, but it's not the primary retention bolt.

1211or-09%2Bifs-axle-assemblies-cv-axle-assemblies-overview%2Bolder-style-toyota-front-suspension

Last edited:

FJOE

Regular Dude
Well don't I feel like a **************...

I got a set of hubs shipped out here with hardware. Rebuilt them, opened the hardware bag, and of course, theres the two gold bolts with washers. Sometimes I wonder how I survived a live birth...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior