Airtop 360 on a Frontrunner Slimline II Issues

Wagenfan

Hello,
Couple years ago I bought the "Frontrunner Slimline II Roof Rack Kit/tall" for Mercedes Benz with the Idea one day I will have a RTT.
Finally after quite some research, like reading the blog "Featured Vehicle: Jeremy Williams G500" from 2014. I pulled the trigger and got the autohome Airtop 360 small and the Mounting Kit from Frontrunner.
Very impressed with the Airtop. They changed the closing latches from "snowboard binding buckle" type to a latch similar to a ski boot buckle. Now, as the buckle swings out to unlatch, it requires more room for the arc. Though the RTT itself fits within the Slimline rails, front-to-back, the latches are now inoperable. All we really need is 2 rails that are 4" longer and then rebuild the rack. However, after contacting Frontrunner, and having them suggest some rubber "beading" to go in the top of the rail to prevent rattling, they won't sell sections of rail as it is against company policy. Also, "The Autohome tent is one of the few tents that the dimensions match the G-Wagen rack. The tent not fitting within the perimeter is normal." It just doesn't seem right that one end of the RTT sits on a horizontal slat while the front rests on the front railing. It makes all kinds of terrible rattling sounds while driving.
Since I know I'm not the only one with this setup, I'm reaching out to members seeking some recommendations.
Thank you

Attachments

• Airtop front.pdf
    612.1 KB · Views: 26
  • Airtop latch .pdf
    585.7 KB · Views: 5
  • Airtop latches.pdf
    602.7 KB · Views: 4
  • Airtop mounting.pdf
    416 KB · Views: 4

Yarjammer

Wellreadneck
Why bother with the full slimline rack if you're using its entire footprint for a RTT? If adding an additional spacer to raise it up doesn't work you may be better served either selling the rack and buying crossbars or taking it apart and just using the feet and four slats. They do sell the end caps to convert the salts into crossbars.

Wagenfan

I already knew the options. Back then when I got the roof rack was a different set up. We made a sleeping platform inside, gear on top. It was just for short trips. Before I sell the roof rack I thought lets try to make it work. The RTT will not stay there for the entire year. Trying to fabricate spacers or taking off the back or front railing.
But thanks for your thoughts.

4x4BNB

Adventurer
I am building a new rig and front runner does not make a roof rack kit for it, yet. So I thought I would build my own rack using a used slimline 2 rack and just cut it down and MAYBE they would just sell me the towers/legs/mounts.
After a few emails exchanged with their customer service department (they obviously wanted to sell me a new slimline 2 system or build me a custom one) they finally told me that they do not sell the towers by themselves.
So...I looked on eBay and guess what? Frontrunner sells towers on eBay?!?!?
So, I checked this morning...they also sell individual slats....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94