Airmonger's M416 Build

Airmonger

Adventurer
Airmonger's Bantam Trailer Build

I just brought home this little beauty today after work, I found it in a field a few blocks from my house (how lucky). Now I am going to do a build on it to get it ready for next years camping season. It should be great for adding space to my camping rig and make it more comfortable for my family (wife, 3 kids and 2 dogs.) We were packed in pretty tight right now, but now we should be able camp in luxury with an old m416. I have it sitting in my garage and its killing me not to take the whole thing apart right now!

It the old coot I bought it from Is super cool, A mining engineer in Arizona/Nevada. He said that the trailer belonged to the DeathValley Meat Market and they would haul beef carcasses around packed in ice. it was also a Korean War trailer according to him. I went over to talk to him about his 2 fj40s. That got me nothing, but some cool backstories on the rigs. After an hour and a half I finally offered him some money for the M416.

DSC_0221.jpg

I rode my bike over to the guys house and had to call my wife to come pick us up.

DSC_0222.jpg

SandDunes-88.jpg

Current to vehicle.

My Plans are to build a mobile camp that will house our kitchen and second RTT (Currently sporting TacoDoc's Demello rack and tent). My wife likes this idea since she will be closer to the ground and the kids can't fall as far. I also want to add a fridge/freezer, water tank, batteries, extra fuel...all the stuff for adding a few more days to our camping trips or being able to take the dogs on the shorter trips.

Last edited:

Airmonger

Adventurer
Just getting started on the lid, I framed it out of 1x2x.083 and 1x1x.083 and framed the trailer railing in 1.5x1.5 angle iron. I should have framed the trailer first but I did the lid and ended up having to work backwards to get everything square on both the trailer and the lid

m416lid.jpg

Next I dropped it off at the local metal shop to have it skinned in 14 gauge sheet metal. They said the piece should be bent and cut by tomorrow. :wings:

Hope I can get it all done by the weekend.

Xodius

Adventurer
How did you hear about the trailer? I am in LV and have only seen maybe 1 in the valley for sale and that is over the last 10 years, lol. Also if you don't mind me asking roughly how much did you end up paying for it? Any updates since last post?

Robert Bills

Explorer
Your trailer isn't an M416 or a Korean-era M100; its a WWII Willys MBT or Bantam T3. Telltale signs are the round fenders, axles/hubs and that the tub is welded to the frame (M416 is bolted on). M100s have grab handles on the corners, but there is no sign that any were grinded off yours.

You can find military manuals for the MBT/T3 online in pdf format. Replacements springs will be the same as the front springs from any early CJ, and the bearings and seals will also be the same.

Its a good find.

womacje

Adventurer
Great find! Those Civie trailers had the tailgate built into them from the factory, as opposed to the Home Depot crap hinges that the WI Penitentiary system used on my trailer for a tailgate... Looking forward to the rest of the build.

Killer rack on the Taco by the way!!!

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
Great find! Those Civie trailers had the tailgate built into them from the factory, as opposed to the Home Depot crap hinges that the WI Penitentiary system used on my trailer for a tailgate... Looking forward to the rest of the build.

That's not a civilian trailer and not a factory gate. That's a Bubba gate! Very common alteration when released by the gubbermint to the bubbamint.

Airmonger

Adventurer
I got my shovel out to dig this thread out from the grave. Hopefully I will have my lid finished today(1 year later ugh) and I wanted to know what tire size you guy run on the stock 6x16 rims?

Airmonger

Adventurer
Just order my pintle and lunette from www.USA-Trailer-Hitches.com. I wish I had the original lunette but the PO hacked it off and its in need of some surgery.

(1) Receiver Mount Tow Eye Part No: 63045
(1) Receiver Mounted Pintle Hook with 2 inch Ball Part No: 62000
(2) 5/8 inch Hitch Pin and Clip Part No: HP-1020

Airmonger

Adventurer
Thanks for the links, very cool. I think cost is some what of a factor as I don't want to sink lots of money into the trailer also the front lunette receiver was already hacked apart and looks like it had a standard ball hitch anyways.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior