Aircraft track Tie Downs

Plannerman

Wandering Explorer
Has anyone used one of these systems on a vehicle with a composite bed, like the second generation Tacomas or Ford Explorer SportTrac? I'd like to use a system in my Tacoma, but I'm not sure how the composite material will hold up.

deminimis

Explorer
Has anyone used one of these systems on a vehicle with a composite bed, like the second generation Tacomas or Ford Explorer SportTrac? I'd like to use a system in my Tacoma, but I'm not sure how the composite material will hold up.

Well, better late than never. I have Ancra L-Track (the good stuff) in my composite trailer. Works great. The Ancra brand stuff, the really good stuff, is FAA approved. Can be hard to come by, and there are several companies that use Ancra and just re-brand it. The best source I've found is from these guys. You'll have to call them and they can have the Ancra L-Track cut the 12' pieces in half (into 6' pieces for those that are math deficient), so it can be shipped via UPS. http://www.uscargocontrol.com/Ratch...ardware/Aircraft-Style-Seat-Logistic-Track-12

lowenbrau

Explorer
I skimmed though the thread and didn't notice any mention of the semi-flush (flanged) version. I got it in Canada from Kinedyne.

Picture%252520010.jpg

lam396

Adventurer
Does anyone know if uni-strut spring nuts will work in the track like Mac's? I have seen a lot of guys using uni-strut in their truck beds rather than the utilitrack that comes in some of the trucks from Nissan, Toyota and GM. I was thinking about putting some on the inside of the bed rails but since it isn't as short as the tracks from Mac's and the others, I would like to get their track for the truck bed floor tie downs but be able to interchange the tie down points with the uni-strut. Here is a thread from a frontier forum that explains the the uni-strut system. http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f23/diy-writeup-utilitrack-unistrut-34948/

KaiserM715

Adventurer
Does anyone know if uni-strut spring nuts will work in the track like Mac's?
I really don't think so. The Uni-Strut spring nuts are for a completely different design and require a lot more depth to install than what the aluminum tracks could accommodate.

Jr_Explorer

Explorer
Does anyone know if uni-strut spring nuts will work in the track like Mac's?

I second that unistruct sping nuts will not work.

I don't think anyone posted this resource. They have the plastic end caps, the three main type of fittings and all three styles of rail (Flanges, Surface mount and fully recessed).

http://www.cargoequipmentcorp.com/Series-L-Track-Fittings-s/70.htm

Just for reference these are the three profile types: http://www.qstraint.com/en/products/flooring-a-anchorages/l-track

Last edited:

brunus

hey iam396
depending on the width of the track and minimally on the depth of the track you might be able to use unistrut spring nuts. so far i have found three different types of spring nuts and the difference is the springs them selves. the standard long springs which is what most people that use the stuff have seen. then the short springs (ideal for the shallow unistrut) then finally the top spring. the top spring is reversed in function from the other ones in that it pulls the spring nut to the top of the strut rather than push it from the bottom. if the track is wide enough to acomodate the spring nut (and deep enough depending on the size of bolt your wanting to be using. 1/2 spring nuts are almost 3/8 of an inch thick) you should be able to use them. but in all honesty if your wanting spring nuts just get the shallow unistrut and use that. its only 5/8 of an inch tall and would work pretty ideally if your wanting on the edges of a bed side.

If it worked this is what I did to reinforce the tie downs in my Discovery. I welded a piece of 3/16in steel into the tub with the nuts welded onto the backside that way I didn't have to try to get a wrench in there to try and hold them. I havent taken a picture of them installed yet but I'll try to get one on here soon.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1328728177.811312.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1328728177.811312.jpg
    508.9 KB · Views: 52
Here's some pics of it in use. With the bungee straps, figure 9's, and ratchet straps I can tie down anything I can put back there. I use the ratchet strap next to the fridge to hold down the ammo can I use as a tool box.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1328729127.324291.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1328729127.324291.jpg
    543.4 KB · Views: 48
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1328729186.536589.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1328729186.536589.jpg
    539.5 KB · Views: 41
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1328729261.157791.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1328729261.157791.jpg
    563.3 KB · Views: 50

When I got stationed out here in 06 we bought my wife a Tacoma. I put one of those big plastic bins in the bed mounted flat to the bed with fender washers and it held up fine. I usually kept it filled up with lots of crap that weighted a ton too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94