Aircraft track Tie Downs

ThomD

Explorer
Installed and looking good.

I finished installing the Core Trax set from Costco and it came out very nice.

The setup is a heavy rubber mat a top 3/4 plywood. The tracks sit in recessed grooves so they do not stick up above the rubber mat. The platform is supported by two steel square tubes and rests on 2x4 at each end. The tracks are all bolted to these supports. The whole thing is then bolted to the seat mounting points in the floor. The forward section comes out easily so that the 2nd row of seats can be used.

platform-2.jpg

platform-1.jpg

platform-3.jpg

This is our stock config - two bike mounts and two wheel holders.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
I finished installing the Core Trax set from Costco and it came out very nice.

The setup is a heavy rubber mat a top 3/4 plywood. The tracks sit in recessed grooves so they do not stick up above the rubber mat. The platform is supported by two steel square tubes and rests on 2x4 at each end. The tracks are all bolted to these supports. The whole thing is then bolted to the seat mounting points in the floor. The forward section comes out easily so that the 2nd row of seats can be used.

This is our stock config - two bike mounts and two wheel holders.

Very nice set-up
thumb.gif

What is your source on the rubber mat and how did you apply it?

ThomD

Explorer
The rubber mat was an old exercise mat I had laying around. I think I got it at Sports Basement. It is very dense, very heavy duty. Per square inch, I think is about as heavy as the plywood, so it is just sitting there. (The bike mounts are acting as a clamp, but aren't needed.) The small (2 inch) strip by the tailgate is held down with double sided tape. There is a 3 inch strip way forward that will also need some tape. I thought about velcro, but it was too thick and caused the mat to bulge.

TreeTopFlyer

Adventurer
How funny, I was gonna post the EXACT same question regarding cargo tiedowns and if anyone had thoughts on them. I want some in the back of my excursion, I just worry about stuff coming loose and doing damage. I was gonna post this one But the costco one comes with more locks and comes with straps.

Box Rocket

I need to see if those Mac tie downs will work with my track system. I was given about 12' of track and 4 tie downs from a friend a few years ago. He is ex-Air Force and got a hold of these while in the service. They are out of a C130 and the tiedown is very beefy. But since I only have 4 of them it would be nice to find a few more that will work with my tracks.

Here's a small section of the track I have along with one of the tiedowns.
C-130_Cargo_mount.jpg

ersatzknarf

lost, but making time
Hi Charlie,

I am interested in using them externally, as well. Have you had any corrosion issues with them ?

(to hold the weight of two spares and all those jerry cans, they certainly must be sturdy...)

Thanks.

I have these on the roof of my camper. They safely attach 2 unmounted spares and 12 jerrycans.
http://www.unicat.net/en/pics/TC49compact-2.html
You can faintly see them in the 3rd picture down.

Charlie

The Adam Blaster

Expedition Leader
I couldn't find them at my Cosco so I had to order them. $92 shipped. Work great, just what I needed, no more rocking and rolling of gear in the back

For us Canadians, it's a real PITA to try and order stuff online, companies won't ship over the border, if they do they use FedEx of UPS and we get hit with a ridiculous brokerage fee, something like 25% or more of the value of the order... arrggghhh...

I looked on the Costc.ca website, they don't list the trax system.
I tried to go on the US site and order them and get them to ship up to me, or even my local Costco warehouse, whivh is about 5 minutes from my home...
They have option to ship to Canada, so I called their customer service line.
They won't ship products from the .com site to ANY address in Canada, nor will they ship to a Canadian Costco warehouse, I even offered to pay for the shipping, no go...

I don't get it, I have a Costco membership that I can use at ANY Costco warehouse in Canada or the US, I think I can even use the membership at the international warehouses!
But, they won't ship me anything over the border.

Weak...

TreeTopFlyer

Adventurer
I don't get it, I have a Costco membership that I can use at ANY Costco warehouse in Canada or the US, I think I can even use the membership at the international warehouses!

Weak...

What's worse is that Costco drop ships straight from CoreMg. When I ordered my kit, the shipping label was from Core.

The Adam Blaster

Expedition Leader
What's worse is that Costco drop ships straight from CoreMg. When I ordered my kit, the shipping label was from Core.

That doesn't make me feel any better...
lolol

I had emailed Cargo Gear to see if they ship to Canada, and they sent a very nice and quite helpful reply. They use USPS for Canadiand if we request it, with an additional charge of about 20 bucks - no biggie.
I would pretty much have to order over the phone, rather than just place the order online, but I prefer that anyway because I get to attach a ral person's name to my order. :)

I think I'll take a closer look at their site and maybe tally a list of items I want and place a decent sized order. :)

aquawolfe

aircraft rails on back wall?

I'm thinking of putting some rails in a square pattern on the back wall of my 2500HD and making some sort of cargo net pouch storage system. I carry a lot of stuff under my seat that could be organized if I make something. I ordered the rails and eyelets. Has anyone already done this. If so lets see some ideas.

Lucky j

Explorer
For us Canadians, it's a real PITA to try and order stuff online, companies won't ship over the border, if they do they use FedEx of UPS and we get hit with a ridiculous brokerage fee, something like 25% or more of the value of the order... arrggghhh...

I looked on the Costc.ca website, they don't list the trax system.
I tried to go on the US site and order them and get them to ship up to me, or even my local Costco warehouse, whivh is about 5 minutes from my home...
They have option to ship to Canada, so I called their customer service line.
They won't ship products from the .com site to ANY address in Canada, nor will they ship to a Canadian Costco warehouse, I even offered to pay for the shipping, no go...

Weak...

I got mine a a truck part store in québec city (its called Traction and here is the truck equivalent of nappa. The supplier is canadine and they have the exact same set-up) Got a 100" track (80$ and the tie down are not more than 6$ a piece). They are available as a recess form or top mounted). I cut them using a regular chop saw with carbide tips.

VanGo

Explorer
I am finishing up a rear cargo "deck" design and like the aircraft tie downs for solving the security issue in the back of my 80. Mac seems to be the way to go, recessing the track is ideal, but I am looking to mount 2 parallel to each other close to the inside of the wheel wells. Would guys who have the aircraft track, and those who have not posted as of yet, post up some more pics to comtemplate?

Thanks,

Van

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke