Airbags, Ride Rite or Air Lift 5000

Pilotamis

Observer
Ended up getting the Firestone’s. Have about 3 broken hrs into the installation, 2 were just removing the old bumpers. When installed, they don’t look to be perfectly plumb. I jacked up the hitch to droop the suspension to make it fit easier and I’m hoping that’s the issue. Also, I don’t have a socket big enough for the frame mounting bolt so I need to locate one to complete it.

SheepnJeep

Ended up getting the Firestone’s. Have about 3 broken hrs into the installation, 2 were just removing the old bumpers. When installed, they don’t look to be perfectly plumb. I jacked up the hitch to droop the suspension to make it fit easier and I’m hoping that’s the issue. Also, I don’t have a socket big enough for the frame mounting bolt so I need to locate one to complete it.

You will get it installed sooner or later, I know I struggled and felt like a dope when others told me it was easy. I finally set my bags straight on the frame and almost straight on the leaf springs. Really no combination of spacers and washers made the bracket fit perfectly on the leaf pack without seeming too precarious. Eventually gave up and finished the job.

I have been loading the truck the past several weeks and have really enjoyed how the airbags work. Truck drives the same as unloaded. I have found that letting a little squat is ideal. So the bumper is 16 1/2 inches from the ground unloaded and I air back up to 16 inches when loaded. Otherwise the handling is a little touchy, I imagine I'm holding the back end up too high and messing with the geometry.

Good luck! You can do it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles