Air System Component Questions

I am finally getting back to working on my truck and have some questions about 12v air systems they seem to be a little different from the commercial trucks or industrial setups.

Currently I have a air compressor that will be plumbed into a Wabco 1200 style air dryer and a few tanks. The part that does not make sense coming from other air systems is that the small compressors don't seem to have any sort of unloading valve after the compressor, most seem to just have some sort of leader hose and a check valve.

Is the standard compressor unloading valve that relieves pressure on the output side to ease starting not required or necessary?

Also the check valve locations on most 12v systems seem to be very close to the compressor instead of right before the tank, is there a reason for that? The air dryer has a check valve inside so i would assume that another check valve is not required?

Below are some pictures of what I have going on currently.

DSC_5128.JPG

DSC_5103.JPG

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
Your Puma compressor will need an unloading valve. Without it starting amps will be too high do to head pressure. Also with the location of your compressor you will want the upgraded air filter for your compressor available from Puma.

Thanks, and good eye, I plan on doing a remote filter with a barbed fitting on the front cover. After toolboxes are in place the location will be difficult to get to.

PV Hiker

Observer
If you bought the Puma assembled with the tank and switch, it has the uploader valve inside the black box. Or did you just buy the pump separately? As said you need the uploader valve.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles