Air suspension and Alignmets

MrWiggles

I am going to lift my 2016 lr4 hd. I’m using a mix of iid and Johnson rods to do so. I will also be increasing my tire size and throwing 18 wheels on.

My question is, with the air suspension, will I need an alignment. If so, can any normal tire shop work? The closest dealer is 300 miles away.

DiscoNels

Adventurer
An alignment is highly advised once you settle on the desired daily driving height as the wheels lean in/out depending on the height you drive at. You can take it to any reputable wheel alignment shop, but be sure to ask if they have experience with LR's so you know they can handle the job.

douglastic

IIDtool can enter "tight tolerance" mode, which is for just that purpose of alignment.

But I have also heard that it really isn't necessary, and idling during the alignment with a door open is good enough.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I have not yet had my LR3 aligned.

garrycol

IIDtool can enter "tight tolerance" mode, which is for just that purpose of alignment.

But I have also heard that it really isn't necessary, and idling during the alignment with a door open is good enough.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I have not yet had my LR3 aligned.

Having the door open does nothing - the vehicle will still self level with the door open - tested this yesterday when changing a tyre and had the door open - changed about 10 times as i jacked up with door open - this myth comes from the fact that height changes generated by the height switch stop as soon as the door opens but the vehicle will continue to self level.

To do an alignment correctly, the vehicle does need to be in Tight Tolerance Mode. If it is not the alignment might still be OK but then it may not.

Garry

A.J.M

Explorer
A decent wheel alignment centre should have the kit to stick it in tight tolerance mode.
I would ask before taking the trip.

morrisdl

Adventurer
Definitively need an alignment when switching heights for daily driving.
Alignments are the one and only thing I used to take my truck to the dealership for.
I have since found a indie ex-master mechanic that does an even better job.
Air suspensions are becoming way more common....Good luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles