air shocks

Semper Fi

I have a 2006 Rubicon LJ and I love it. I have a motorcycle carrier that slides into the hitch on the back of the jeep. The bike I carry is a 2003 DRZ 400 Suzuki that weighs about 300 pounds. My Jeep is lifted 2.5 inches with a Rough Country lift that consist of shocks and coil springs. The Jeep rides great on the road and does great off-road.

The question is this, when I put the DRZ on the carrier to go somewhere, the Jeep will squat in the back. I know that is not unusual but, if I were to put air shocks in the back of the Jeep, would the jeep still perform as well off-road and ride the same on road? I know that I could put air in the shocks and level the Jeep out when the bike is on and, let air out to level the Jeep when I take the bike off. How well will they work on the Jeep normally? Will these air shocks also help me when I load it up to do the overnight camping?

I would look at some air bags that go into the springs (since you have coil springs) rather than air shocks. Air shocks put all the weight on the shocks mounts and are not very good for off road.

Semper Fi

I never thought of that. How much do they cost? What about, if I get a different lift with stronger coil springs?

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
The airbags are about 100 dollars a pair. Measure the space inside your coil to match a bag with them.

ryanhewitt

Adventurer
X3 on the airbags. I have set and couldn't be happier. The advantage for me was no height change (as opposed to with a lift), so my jeep will still fit in the garage.

Make sure that if you use airbags you do not use an Air-t to link them together but each should have its own air valve. You dont want to compress one side and all the air go the other side in an off-camber situation.

Semper Fi

is there a special brand of the airlift I should look for? JC Whitney has a set for $97 I am just asking so I don't get a set, have problems and everyone says "you should have bought this brand"

Jim K in PA

Adventurer
JCW likely sells the Airlift brand. To make sure you get the right kit, call Airlift before ordering from anyone, and get a part number that matches your springs. The tech at Airlift will ask you for the inside diameter and inside height between the bump stops for your springs. Then order the part # they give you, not what an application chart says. The only difference between the kits is the bag size.

And as mentioned above, set them up with independent air supplies, not combined. The kit comes with enough parts for either set up.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Yes, I forgot to mention that. I will be running bags on every rig I have, including my mazda 5.

Semper Fi

so if you put these airbags on your Jeep, do you run them without air when the Jeep doesn't have any weight on the back? (just normal weight like from the factory) Or do you run them with air in them all the time? How much does it effect your ride on the road? How long will they last before they need to be replaced?

so if you put these airbags on your Jeep, do you run them without air when the Jeep doesn't have any weight on the back? (just normal weight like from the factory) Or do you run them with air in them all the time? How much does it effect your ride on the road? How long will they last before they need to be replaced?

Minimum 5psi

With no weight it is a bit stiffer in the back which I like since I feel spring rates on most keeps are soft to increase articulation for the jk forum crowd. I've only run one season with them so far.

Semper Fi

I got the Air Lift about 2 weeks ago. It was very easy to put on the Jeep and works great. The one thing that I was missing form the package was, the clamps for the airlines. I emailed them, using the email from their site, and told them what I was missing. They had it to my door with in a week. Great product and very little change to the ride of the Jeep.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles