Air ride cab

jhrodd

Adventurer
What about rebuilding the original seats with more foam and/or gel inserts. Motorcyclists seem pleased with gel seats, though I've never tried one.
http://www.myseatdoctor.com/index.html
My experience with air ride seats (4 million miles) is that they work great for violent road surfaces, like the George Washington Bridge in NYC, but day in and day out the quality of the foam in the seat makes all the difference.

Tonkatuff

Adventurer
I appreciate everyone's advice but I'm gonna air ride this cab first then we might talk seats. Btw your still going to spend a grand doing up the stock seats.

Tonkatuff

Adventurer
I've been doing a little reconnaissance, and have gotten a few ideas. I wont be able to have just one airbag like these but food for thought.
WP_20130509_002[1].jpg
WP_20130513_001[1].jpg

Tonkatuff

Adventurer
I'm going to hold a "guess the weight" of a fg637 crew cab cab when lifted at the rear mounts. I'm doing this to gauge the height the airbags will sit.

The winner will receive a mars bar

Note the operator of this competition may ask the winner to buy their own mars bar

Tonkatuff

Adventurer
Shocks arrived today!!! New I need to design a saddle to go over the chassis to support the rear mounts being about 100mm further away from the chassis. Simple :-S

blackduck

Explorer
. What do you engineers know anyway;-)

Absolutely sod all
Im a marine engineer
now if you wanted to mount a diesel in it with 4'diameter pistons or a 20000 HP gas turbine and stick a propeller on the back end
then Im your man
as far as this truck stuff goes I just agree with everything john and alan say
OH except the beige issue of course
nobody can agree with that :victory:

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
Have you thought of something like Lord's Surface-Effect Mounts
From their website
As cab and engine mounts in on-and off-highway vehicles, surface-effect (SE) mounting systems meet the most demanding requirements for vibration isolation and noise attenuation while managing motion. When conventional mounts are unable to satisfy vehicle requirements, SE mounts successfully control noise and vibration for a more comfortable ride, superior product performance and reliable maintenance.

Integrating surface-effect damping principles with traditional rubber-bonded-to-metal technology, these mounts provide effective damping over large deflections and a wide range of frequencies. The systems are amplitude sensitive, responding to larger motions with greater damping forces for a wide range of rated loads. Easy in-the-field adjustable damping and decoupling capabilities reduce development/testing time and reduce the cost of systems optimization.

SE mounting systems are simple in construction, and the absence of pressure seals and fluids eliminates the possibility of leaks common with hydraulic mounts. In accelerated durability tests, these mounts have successfully passed more than 11 million cycles (the equivalent of 3 million kilometers or 2 million miles of Class 8 truck cab service) without significant wear.

View attachment 161480
Click to Enlarge:
View attachment 161482

View attachment 161483

Coachgeo

Explorer
old thread ....... has anyone else done cab shocks.... or better yet upfitted OEM cab shocks? My truck (in avitar) has cab air shocks. (presently disabled) I have to rebuild the system and wonder it would be better/least costly to just retrofit. air pump already exists.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier