Air pressure in lieu of water pump?

Jeff Wanamog

Off Road Camper Guy
Has anyone ever used the air pressure from an onboard air compressor in lieu of a water pump? It would be like killing two birds with two stones!
Shouldn't be too hard to set up.
Thanks.
Jeff

Jeep

Supporting Sponsor: Overland Explorer Expedition V
You would have to use a pressure tank with a diaphram to prevent aeration.

PhulesAU

Explorer
you would just have a giant paint sprayer.....I don't remember which of the popular shower systems is a heatable garden srayer. Replace the pump with a screw in plug , with a ??Shrader?? valve to pressureize the tank.

Grim Reaper

Expedition Leader
You would have to use a pressure tank with a diaphram to prevent aeration.

you don't the diaphragm.

This is not uncommon in vintage campers. My 59 Airstream is set up this way.You can fill it with a compressor. Only need about 40 PSI. My 59 can even be pressurized with a bicycle pump with the Schrader that is on the fill neck. Does need to be a pressure vessel. Old beer keg would be the easiest starting point.

PhulesAU

Explorer
Good God man:Wow1: A beer keg!!!!:drool: I hope Ya'll have better luck finding a "old" one in usable shape. That would be a great start.

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
I Made a jerry can with a double tapped cap one for pickup and the other for air filling, but the can exploded before I could test it. I used a onboard compressor and a metal jerry can. I know I know, a more substantial tank would be ideal but you might be able to pull it off.

A

chris_the_wrench

Fixer & Builder of Things
This is the way old VW's windshield sprayers worked. The water bladders had a schrader valve on them. Some of the systems were even plumbed into the spare tire, which was not too great. You would have clean windows but eventually a flat tire especially since the systems were prone to leaks.

-Chris

rusty_tlc

Explorer
you don't the diaphragm.

This is not uncommon in vintage campers. My 59 Airstream is set up this way.You can fill it with a compressor. Only need about 40 PSI. My 59 can even be pressurized with a bicycle pump with the Schrader that is on the fill neck. Does need to be a pressure vessel. Old beer keg would be the easiest starting point.
Not only Air Stream used this method, it was common on Travel Trailers through the 70's.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Yep, all sorts of RVs used to use such a setup. Most pressurized the tank using a small hand pump near the sink.

jesusgatos

Explorer
Hah, what a trip! I was just thinking about this (using air-pressure to move fluids). Would be cool to use air-pressure to move waste-water (to cut down on wasted water) and if your water tanks could hold the pressure, it would make a good backup in case the electric water pumps went out for whatever reason. Hmmm...

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
For a small tank, like found on an M416/M101 or similar, a pressurized tank could work well. For a large tank it can still work, but the tank itself will need to be a lot more robust than if a pump were used.

rusty_tlc

Explorer
One advantage air pressure systems have over electric is that they are quieter. However flow drops off over time.
I think you could build a small air tank and pressure switch/solenoid in the system that would maintain a constant pressure.

A $40 Pep Boys electric pump could be used to fill the air tank and act as an OBA source for tires, air mattresses, toys etc.

Rando

Explorer
I considered this as well when installing a water tank in my wildernest. I came to the conclusion that while it would definitely work, the extra weight and cost of a pressurizable water tank and plumbing and a regulator, far outweighed the cost of a RV water tank (~$40) and an electric water pump (~$30). Even with already having 5 gallon pressure vessels on hand (Corny Kegs) it seemed fairly inefficient as unless you happen to have a round hole, a cylindrical tank stores about 30% less water than a square tank.

On the other hand if you have a CO2 tank for filling tires, you could have carbonated water with this system! Add some flavour syrups and you have a mobile soda fountain.

jesusgatos

Explorer
I was thinking something more along the lines of a system that would have a separate pressure-tank that would only pressurize the lines, so that the holding tank wouldn't have to be pressurized.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles