Air mattress suggestions

GregSplett

Adventurer
I will second this: air mattresses are very poor in cold conditions, use a thick foam later on top when required.

We camp year round.Air mattress are air temperture.

They also tend to be a little wet.Moisture from your body and breathing seems to like to stay around your shoulders and head.You will notice this a lot if you like to sleep with your head tucked under the covers.

To fix this my wife uses a quilted liner on the bottom before sheets.We camped Christmas in the twenties with no problem.

I also blow it up at home after every trip and let the top dry before storing.

carbon60

Explorer
To fix this my wife uses a quilted liner on the bottom before sheets.We camped Christmas in the twenties with no problem.

The quilt is a good idea. Foam will be better.

I'm surprised you weren't cold in 20ºF, though. I've been cold at warmer temperatures than that on an air mattress with a huge down mummy bag on it.

Don't try it at -20ºF!

A.

GregSplett

Adventurer
I asked the wife and she informed me there are two bed liners on there.One quilted and one not.All I know is that our bedding fits in the red bag in the pics.

toxicity_27

Adventurer
Can you supply a link to this bed with two bladders.I can not locate it on aero site?

Does it have two built in pumps?That is my wonder,as they are 120v.

Sorry it took so long for me to post a link, but here it is.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006FTIXRC/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AQXV4GVAQBFJY

Still haven't made a purchase. Haven't been able to decide between the one above or these next two.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006FTIY1C/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008J50FAI/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AQXV4GVAQBFJY

srserl

Observer
We camp with a queen size air bed, and here are my thoughts after several years of use:
The beds that look like long parallel tubes are a bit bouncier and you feel your partner move more. The ones with dimples, like the ones you are looking at, are less bouncy and are the type I prefer. I find real bedding, rather than sleeping bags, makes camping so much more comfortable. I use a large rectangular sleeping bag opened up flat like a quilt as the first layer on top of the bed (except in very hot weather), then a quilted mattress pad, then the bottom sheet, the top sheet, and finally 1 or 2 more sleeping bags opened flat (or a down comforter). I have used this setup comfortably down to the low 20's without a heater. Real pillows with pillow cases also really add to the comfort. The sheets also make for easy laundering on the road, and I only launder the sleeping bags about once per year. I prefer the 18" thick mattresses; it's nicer than the thinner ones to sit on the edge of and put your shoes on, but if your tent is not tall enough, it can be claustrophobic. I tried a 24" thick one once, but I returned it as I liked the 18" one better. I carry mine in a good duffle bag which also fits my corded 12v pump and a hand pump. The 12v pump does not fill the bed as firm as I would like, so I top it up with the hand pump before going to bed. I think it is good to keep the price under $100 as it is too easy to puncture the bed with a cactus thorn that comes out of your boot. The beds are easy to patch, but finding the hole in the first place is the hard part.
Good luck, and I hope you are as satisfied with the air bed solution as I am.

GregSplett

Adventurer
We camp with a queen size air bed, and here are my thoughts after several years of use:
The beds that look like long parallel tubes are a bit bouncier and you feel your partner move more. The ones with dimples, like the ones you are looking at, are less bouncy and are the type I prefer. I find real bedding, rather than sleeping bags, makes camping so much more comfortable. I use a large rectangular sleeping bag opened up flat like a quilt as the first layer on top of the bed (except in very hot weather), then a quilted mattress pad, then the bottom sheet, the top sheet, and finally 1 or 2 more sleeping bags opened flat (or a down comforter). I have used this setup comfortably down to the low 20's without a heater. Real pillows with pillow cases also really add to the comfort. The sheets also make for easy laundering on the road, and I only launder the sleeping bags about once per year. I prefer the 18" thick mattresses; it's nicer than the thinner ones to sit on the edge of and put your shoes on, but if your tent is not tall enough, it can be claustrophobic. I tried a 24" thick one once, but I returned it as I liked the 18" one better. I carry mine in a good duffle bag which also fits my corded 12v pump and a hand pump. The 12v pump does not fill the bed as firm as I would like, so I top it up with the hand pump before going to bed. I think it is good to keep the price under $100 as it is too easy to puncture the bed with a cactus thorn that comes out of your boot. The beds are easy to patch, but finding the hole in the first place is the hard part.
Good luck, and I hope you are as satisfied with the air bed solution as I am.

Everything this person said is spot on.This is exactly how we sleep.I second the 18 inches.You wake up and swing your feet just like your bed at home here is the model we love.

http://www.amazon.com/Original-Aero...31525813&sr=1-10&keywords=queen+sized+aerobed

DSCN1261.jpg

Last edited:

GregSplett

Adventurer

My choice out of those three would be out of the top two.Notice that the top two advertise heavy duty pvc where as the bottom just pvc.If it is as thick as mine you are golden.

Another point I might add is that my tent floor is a three part system.First the foot print which I made out of some very heavy pvc.Second is the tent floor and third is an optional clip in floor liner.My point is that nothing is going to get my mattress from below.

toxicity_27

Adventurer
Thanks for the feedback everyone! I still haven't picked one, gut have narrowed it down to the two that are similar other than the dual chamber.

racehorse

Adventurer
Observation not lecturing: Just make sure to understand how cold air mattresses can be if camping in anything under 50 degrees. They are abysmally cold PVC mattresses especially - you're body can't displace all that cold air and although you won't freeze, they can make for a miserable night. Insulate it with blankets, etc? Sure, but that defeats the idea of not carrying an entire house of blankets with you to get comfortable. I got rid of my mattresses, plunked down the cash (not easy) for a exped megamat and never looked back. It's truly the most comfortable thing out there as reviewed by the Overland Expo folks in the journal. It really is that good but expensive.

jkam

nomadic man
For many years I used a Sevylor camping mattress. What made it nice is that it was made of rubberized cotton like the old military mattresses so it wasn't as slippery or cold as a PVC one. It was heavy but it was heavy duty as well. They no longer make them but you can still find info on them with a search. I still have my single sized one and after 7 years living on a motorcycle it still is in excellent condition with never a leak.

toxicity_27

Adventurer
Ended up ordering the dual chamber model. Also I understand that they can be cold, I live in Minnesota and have used them before.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles