Air mattress suggestions

toxicity_27

Adventurer
I'm looking for an air mattress for myself and my girlfriend when we go out. We're looking for a queen size. I'm 6'2 275 so it would need to be able to hold me and her (she is considerably smaller than me). She is stuck on getting the air mattress and won't listen when I talk about sleeping pads.

I was looking at this air mattress and wanted to see what you all thought. Looking to keep the price <$100.

OCD Overland

Explorer
Costco had a really good deal going earlier this spring for air mattresses. Around $40. You might check your local store to see if they still have some. Seems like good quality though we haven't tested out the one we got yet. I think it may be slightly smaller than a true queen size though.

We got a queen size fuzzy topped one at shopko for $20. On sale intex brand with a weight limit of 600# we got a couple of them because after a few years of use they become to patched up to use anymore. So you might check your local stores first. I wouldn't dump too much into one because it's just going to get tore up sooner or later. Jeff

tunernewb92

Aerobed is the best brand bar non. I think you can get a queen for under $100 barely on Amazon. They are pricey but it's an investment. I have never had one leak any air in a week of use. They have the motor built in as well.

Also I've had three (two twins and a queen) for about six-seven years. Moderate to heavy use. Never patched. No issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GregSplett

Adventurer
Aerobed is the best brand bar non. I think you can get a queen for under $100 barely on Amazon. They are pricey but it's an investment. I have never had one leak any air in a week of use. They have the motor built in as well.

Also I've had three (two twins and a queen) for about six-seven years. Moderate to heavy use. Never patched. No issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ditto on this.

I camp with a queen like thisDSCN1240.jpg

Two and a half years later I have had no leaks.We are not small people either.

I got mine at costco for 99.99.I will never load anything else into the truck.

We do sleep on it 3-4 days a month year round though so cost is easy to justify.

toxicity_27

Adventurer
Any thoughts on the Aerobed that has a separate chamber for each side? I'm looking at that one since I'm bigger than my girlfriend by a considerable amount with the thought that I won't end up on the ground while she is way up in the air.

GregSplett

Adventurer
Probably a 70 lb difference between me and the wife never had a problem with the single bladder as long as it is umped up tight.we always top it off before bed.Air temp fluctuations make a difference. We do enjoy a sleep number at home though which has two air mattress inside.

Scoutn79

Adventurer
I have used both Coleman and Intek. The Coleman was thicker and lasted longer until the valve split but the bag was thicker.
I have had one leak from a tiny sticker or something I missed when getting the tent set up...on a heavy duty tarp then the tent floor it still poked through and left me flat on the floor.
A few thoughts.
1) get the one with the thickest material you can find, puncture/wear resistance
2) get one with a flocked top...it will keep you and your bag form sliding off
3) not a fan of internal pumps...what if it goes out? Also adds to the bulk. External or as we do OBA.
4) you will need a fluffy sleeping bag under you as these type have zero R value and you will loose an amazing amount of heat through them if you don't have insulation between you and the mattress. I like the 8" +/- thickness.

Darrell

toxicity_27

Adventurer
Probably a 70 lb difference between me and the wife never had a problem with the single bladder as long as it is umped up tight.we always top it off before bed.Air temp fluctuations make a difference. We do enjoy a sleep number at home though which has two air mattress inside.

Good to know.

I have used both Coleman and Intek. The Coleman was thicker and lasted longer until the valve split but the bag was thicker.
I have had one leak from a tiny sticker or something I missed when getting the tent set up...on a heavy duty tarp then the tent floor it still poked through and left me flat on the floor.
A few thoughts.
1) get the one with the thickest material you can find, puncture/wear resistance
2) get one with a flocked top...it will keep you and your bag form sliding off
3) not a fan of internal pumps...what if it goes out? Also adds to the bulk. External or as we do OBA.
4) you will need a fluffy sleeping bag under you as these type have zero R value and you will loose an amazing amount of heat through them if you don't have insulation between you and the mattress. I like the 8" +/- thickness.

Darrell

We were using her parents' Intex, and it had failed shortly after they purchased it. Didn't even last a year, and a majority of it's use was in a house on the floor.

GregSplett

Adventurer
Can you supply a link to this bed with two bladders.I can not locate it on aero site?

Does it have two built in pumps?That is my wonder,as they are 120v.

98roamer

Explorer
We too have used many of the cheap walmart queen airbeds only to have to replacement annually, refill in the middle of the night, etc. I read "on the internet" that the majority of holes happen to airbeds during storage and transport. So I started storing mine in a spare Pelican case, three years ago---- We're still using the same cheap $60 Coleman problem free so far.

carbon60

Explorer
I will second this: air mattresses are very poor in cold conditions, use a thick foam later on top when required.

GregSplett

Adventurer
We too have used many of the cheap walmart queen airbeds only to have to replacement annually, refill in the middle of the night, etc. I read "on the internet" that the majority of holes happen to airbeds during storage and transport. So I started storing mine in a spare Pelican case, three years ago---- We're still using the same cheap $60 Coleman problem free so far.

I store mine a Cabelas duffle bag just like the one in the pic.the bag that came was useless as far as protecting it.Going on season three with no problems.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles