Air impact wench suggestions

GR8ADV

Explorer
I am looking for recommendations on an air impact wrench that can run off on an extreme air magnum and a 2.5 gal tank. I need to be able to torque tight to around 400 ft lbs. removal will need to be greater of course. I would like one I can set the torque so I do not have to hand torque to spec. Thanks for your experience.

eaneumann

Adventurer
Not sure if what you're looking for exists. I use an IR Titanium professionally everyday. It's the best, strongest, lightest air impact I've ever used. I've had mine for almost 10 years with no rebuild.

Expedition Leader
You are not going to get 400 ft. lbs. of torque out of a gun connected to a little truck-mounted OBA compressor and a 2.5 gallon tank. If you need that portable, get a CO2 tank, the bigger the better.

As has been said, a run of the mill impact gun cannot be used for tightening without a torque wrench either.

If you still need/want an air impact gun, don't buy a cheap one at Horrible Fright, buy a name-brand one, and keep it oiled.

GR8ADV

Explorer
You are not going to get 400 ft. lbs. of torque out of a gun connected to a little truck-mounted OBA compressor and a 2.5 gallon tank. If you need that portable, get a CO2 tank, the bigger the better.

As has been said, a run of the mill impact gun cannot be used for tightening without a torque wrench either.

If you still need/want an air impact gun, don't buy a cheap one at Horrible Fright, buy a name-brand one, and keep it oiled.

Here is the spec on the little cobbled together truck compressor. I though it may have enough ooomph to make it happen.
-1.5 HP Motor
-82 amps draw @ 100 psi
-Continuous Duty Rating @ 150 psi, 200 psi max pressure
-6 CFM @ 0 psi
-2.6 CFM @ 100 psi"
-Weight: 20 lbs.
-Dimensions: 16" long x 6" wide x 9.5" tall

Scoutn79

Adventurer
You have no where near enough CFM to get much real use out of a 1/2" impact wrench.
There are variations but a quick search came up with a 1/2" impact using 24 CFM at full tilt and 5.0 cf used up in 15 seconds. At your capacities your going to get full use for about 1 second before the air pressure drops off so much it will be useless.
You are either going to need a much larger air tank, much greater air pressure and/or a bigger pump with more cfm. Don't forget minimum of 3/8" hose and fittings at all connections. The 1/4" hoses will choke the gun down to much.
What do you need to torque to 400 ft lbs so often an impact makes sense? What about a breaker bar figured for your weight/strength to get you close?
I would never trust any run of the mill impact for final torquing of anything I was that worried about.

Darrell

GR8ADV

Explorer
You have no where near enough CFM to get much real use out of a 1/2" impact wrench.
There are variations but a quick search came up with a 1/2" impact using 24 CFM at full tilt and 5.0 cf used up in 15 seconds. At your capacities your going to get full use for about 1 second before the air pressure drops off so much it will be useless.
You are either going to need a much larger air tank, much greater air pressure and/or a bigger pump with more cfm. Don't forget minimum of 3/8" hose and fittings at all connections. The 1/4" hoses will choke the gun down to much.
What do you need to torque to 400 ft lbs so often an impact makes sense? What about a breaker bar figured for your weight/strength to get you close?
I would never trust any run of the mill impact for final torquing of anything I was that worried about.

Darrell

Beginning to look that way...

BEG

Adventurer
I second the suggestion for 18v and 20v electric impacts for your scenario. The IR W7150 looks like a good candidate along with the Milwaukee. If you need an approximate torque and can't use a torque wrench, I'd suggest looking into torque sticks. They're usually within +/- 3% when used with an appropriate impact gun.

Hutch434

Observer
That Milwaukee looks like my next one..... a few years ago, I bought the less expensive 1/2" Craftsman version and it works great. I have a 60 gal 155psi air compressor in my garage, and find myself using the electric impact more often.

GR8ADV

Explorer
That Milwaukee looks like my next one..... a few years ago, I bought the less expensive 1/2" Craftsman version and it works great. I have a 60 gal 155psi air compressor in my garage, and find myself using the electric impact more often.

+1, thanks for the info everyone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles