Air Hose and Inflator

OhioGrown

I am currently installing on board air in my 80 series and am looking for recommendations on quick disconnect air hoses and tire inflators. I run ARB hose and inflator on my Tacoma and like both of them but the hose is almost too short for a long bed truck not to mention adding a trailer. Any brands or recommendations would be appreciated.

WOODY2

Adventurer
Put a T fitting on line and plumb a quick disconnect to front and rear bumper with SynFlex tubing and push-pull fittings.

Howard70

Adventurer
If you’re starting from scratch you might consider the larger bore components and hose to increase airflow. We have an onboard system with outlets at each wheel to fill four tires simultaneously and the option to add a 2nd compressor for trips where we’ll be filling several times a day. If you’re using a single hose and filling tires separately you’d probably not notice the difference as the limiting factor is flow through the constricted valve stem at the tire.

Howard

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
So $32 for a 3/8" PVC hose that's 18 feet long?

If you don't need the ARB name, for $21 Home Depot has a 50 foot, 3/8" PVC hose:

Or for $35 you can get a 3/8" rubber hose that's 50 feet long:

Harbor Freight has the lock on tire chucks for $4:

And a 25 foot, 3/8" PVC hose for $12:

Unless it's Goodyear and actually says "Made in USA" or something like that they're probably all coming from the same factory anyway.

highwest

Mind the heat if you’re pulling directly off of the compressor. The ARB hose is expensive because it can take it. Most regular air hoses are meant to take air from a tank and are not heat rated. Ask me how I know... ;)

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Mind the heat if you’re pulling directly off of the compressor. The ARB hose is expensive because it can take it. Most regular air hoses are meant to take air from a tank and are not heat rated. Ask me how I know... ;)
Agreed. Both of my Viair compressors have come with stainless leader hoses ~12" long due to the adiabatic heating of the compressed air. Even with that, about 75% of my air hose failures (from ANY compressor) are at the "hot" end of things.

outback97

Adventurer
So $32 for a 3/8" PVC hose that's 18 feet long?

I agree it's expensive, but IMO the material the ARB hose is made from feels superior to the cheaper hoses. I haven't been too impressed with the lower priced air hoses (too stiff when it's cold) nor those chucks from HF... I've had trouble getting them to seal, the lever gets in the way on some rims, and so I like the straight ones better. Plenty of options out there though.

highwest

Agreed. Both of my Viair compressors have come with stainless leader hoses ~12" long due to the adiabatic heating of the compressed air. Even with that, about 75% of my air hose failures (from ANY compressor) are at the "hot" end of things.
I also added the same between my ARB twin and Flexzilla hose. Given the trouble, I’d say that ARB hose looks pretty good.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
To save some space I actually went with 1/4" PVC branded by Forney (which is a welding equipment company based in Ft. Collins) hose personally and flexibility hasn't been an issue typical Colorado weather nor has it ever been a problem from heat. But the plumbing on my compressor probably sinks more heat than is typical for a cheap compressor. There's sure to be a range of quality for anything I'm sure but I suspect ARB has a super premium price.

This is a really old MV40. It's been disassembled, rewired, tapped to standard NPT, given some internal mechanical attention. It's still slow but relatively quiet and smooth. Gotten WAY more value the $25 I spent on it years ago.

I got a plain old Milton locking air chuck, probably from NAPA. The fittings are standard type-15 (or type-M) industrial quick connects, same as I use at home for commonality.

Guess they're not really Overland® approved but they do the job.

IMG_2269_mid.jpg

IMG_2270_mid.jpg

IMG_2267_mid.jpg

Last edited:

67cj5

Man On a Mission
Because I have 2 ARB Portable compressors I ordered 2 of their hose kits with all 4 hoses that gives me up to 80 feet to get in a tangle with, LOL,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne