Air Cooled V-Twin In A 4x4? Yes, Seriously.

CampStewart

Observer
Based on this thread one should really consider an air cooled engine for their overland rig lol. If you want to do something unique for the fun factor to drive around the block with lots of work and minimal results and have lots of free time than go for it. Otherwise this is a pretty silly discussion.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Based on this thread one should really consider an air cooled engine for their overland rig lol. If you want to do something unique for the fun factor to drive around the block with lots of work and minimal results and have lots of free time than go for it. Otherwise this is a pretty silly discussion.

Air-cooled overland style wheeling would never work....

I don't really see the point in swapping IN an air cooled engine honestly, but if that is a challenge that someone wants to take on who am I to kill their dream.

D

Deleted member 9101

I VW TDI swap would probably be easier and have many more benifits...lol.

RoyJ

Adventurer
Nothing wrong with air cooled, but air cooled Harley twins, especially tuned for high hp, are never designed for high duty cycle. Even on 1000 lbs (loaded) bikes, you rarely see them go 100k miles before overhaul. On a heavy 4-wheeler with less than ideal cooling, be lucky to hit 50k.

On the other hand, flat 6 Goldwing engines regularly see 300k+ in motorcycle duty, and will last a long time even in a truck. It's a 1.8L engine spinning at 5500 rpm after all. Put in a decent size rad and it'll run forever. A 2300cc Triumph Rocket motor may be another choice.

D

Deleted member 9101

Nothing wrong with air cooled, but air cooled Harley twins, especially tuned for high hp, are never designed for high duty cycle. Even on 1000 lbs (loaded) bikes, you rarely see them go 100k miles before overhaul. On a heavy 4-wheeler with less than ideal cooling, be lucky to hit 50k.

On the other hand, flat 6 Goldwing engines regularly see 300k+ in motorcycle duty, and will last a long time even in a truck. It's a 1.8L engine spinning at 5500 rpm after all. Put in a decent size rad and it'll run forever. A 2300cc Triumph Rocket motor may be another choice.

I have heard Harley riders brag about wearing out motors...I have never heard of someone wearing out a Gold Wing motor...lol.

gatorgrizz27

I’m all for out of the box, challenging projects, but I really don’t get the point of this one. Maybe if you’ve already got the vehicle and engine, but otherwise you’re looking at spending a bunch of time and money for something that will be fundamentally worse and doesn’t have any particular benefits.

If you’re looking at traveling with it, parts availability is much worse than automotive parts as well. Need an ignition coil at 6 pm on Saturday? Find a dealership, they will be open Tuesday am. Probably have to order it for you and it will be there in a week if someone didn’t forget to actually order it, and it’s in stock at Harley.

If it’s just going to be a farm utility vehicle, and you want to stick to the air cooled V-twin concept, I’d consider one of the Harbor Freight Predator 670cc V-Twins. Not much power, but should be easy to adapt with its industrial style crankshaft, and designed with a shroud for stationary use in welders, generators, etc.

autism family travels

Lol, ah...no.

More like about 65 horsepower.

Harley's stock 114 cubic inch motorcycles actually have a lower top speed than the electronically-restricted top speed of a stock Toyota Prius.

Agreed, in my dumber days I had a 95" punched out to 103, high compression pistons, cams, porting all the crap. It dynoed to 105 and 100, but was not very reliable. You know what they say....Every hardley owner secretly owns a japanese bike to ride while their ableson is in the shop. Making a harley fast is an oxy moron.

Last edited by a moderator:

autism family travels

I love when cruiser riders talk about making their Harley's "fast". The same time I had my road glide I had a versys 650. I could walk any Harley including my friends supercharged street glide on the kawi in 3rd gear. Comical actually.

broncobowsher

Adventurer
I love when cruiser riders talk about making their Harley's "fast". The same time I had my road glide I had a versys 650. I could walk any Harley including my friends supercharged street glide on the kawi in 3rd gear. Comical actually.
Fast for a 1500 pound bike. If that Kawi weighed what the Harley did you wouldn't move.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz