Air Cooled V-Twin In A 4x4? Yes, Seriously.

nicholastanguma

Los Angeles, San Francisco
Several years ago there was some buzz in the Suzuki 4x4 community surrounding a truly wacky engine swap. A Suzuki SJ (known as the Samurai to North Americans) had been equipped with, of all things, a Harley-Davidson v-twin mounted longitudinally. I think the engine must have been poked and stroked into a monster, because the truck actually worked.

Clearly the truck needed to maintain forward motion in order for the engine to get any cooling airflow, so low speed off road maneuvers would be no good.

But I got to thinking: if some sizeable heat extraction vents were cut into the truck's hood, and an electric radiator fan (pulling type) were installed at the grill minus the radiator, would this arrangement provide enough continuous airflow to cool the engine even at crawling speeds?

c287cc5e1934dc633dea925963f1d479.jpg

yLV2U29zLCyHaMLlKxuOlc4ajZ_EZZRO06JgoVp_i8rZN8xxltc5K3BOXKNrJ1bTA3cWnPbA2AIRA7UprXe12qfrZvczNuY

Last edited:

CampStewart

Observer
Since the engine was designed to move through the air with the crank oriented sideways I would think that you would have a very difficult time trying to cool the back side of the cylinder heads in an enclosed engine compartment.

Mike W.

I have a Razor with a Harley Sportster motor fully built it puts out 120hp. 6 speed gearbox is chain driven off the stock transfercase. It took awhile to design the proper linkage and clutch setup..it's an interesting toy..

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
The Suzuki LJ10 has a air cooled two cylinder two-stroke stock.

As long as you get enough air cooling ( and likely oil cooling also ) it should be fine.
Doing that in a tighter water cooled engine compartment might be tough.

nicholastanguma

Los Angeles, San Francisco
Why not a BMW air cooled twin power plant? Surely more reliable, less vibration and about a million other benefits.

How in the world would a Bimmer flat twin ever fit into the engine bay of a truck as small as Suzuki SJ or Jeep CJ or something similar?

And how would a Bimmer flat twin ever get poked and stroked to a displacement large enough to power a 4x4 automobile?

And even if an airhead could fit and could make enough power, my question about using an unshrouded puller type radiator fan to cool the engine when fitted inside an automobile engine bay would still be exactly the same.

Last edited:

86scotty

Cynic
How in the world would a Bimmer flat twin ever fit into the engine bay of a truck as small as Suzuki SJ or Jeep CJ or something similar?

And how would a Bimmer flat twin every get poked and stroked to a displacement large enough to power a 4x4 automobile?

And even if an airhead could fit and could make enough power, my question about using an unshrouded puller type radiator fan to cool the engine when fitted inside an automobile engine bay would still be exactly the same.

I don't know.

And I don't know.

I was just offering you an idea of a decent engine. Good luck with your project.

javajoe79

Fabricator
I guess if you want marginal power and a lumpy idle, this is the swap for you. Cooling it would be simple. Shroud it and install a mechanical or electric fan. Or just use any number of liquid cooled options that would easily fit in there and make more power. I'm all for unique builds but when you have a certain purpose, like you do, I wouldn't be trying to use something that requires you to jump through hoops to keep it reliable.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader

And how would a Bimmer flat twin ever get poked and stroked to a displacement large enough to power a 4x4 automobile?

The same way they did it on the LJ10.
1972-suzuki-lj10-9.JPG

I think you are going to need a LOT of air cooling. Most air cooled vehicle engines use powerful engine driven fans with shrouds to direct the air to where it is needed most. They also use a lot of oil cooling too.

nitro_rat

Lunchbox Lockers
The little 2 stroke LJ's are getting old enough to bring over. If you want one just start looking at the importer sites that are bringing over skylines and such for the JDM tuner crowd. They will bring over the little Zuk's too...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier