Air conditioner alternatives

andytruck

Observer
I have a pop up truck camper and want AC. I do not want a roof AC for several reasons, though I have one sitting in the garage from a wrecked RV.
I am looking at window units, but rather not have to hang it out and I cannot mount it hanging out as I often tow a cargo trailer that would hit it in the turns.
I was thinking maybe mount it inside in the rear corner at a diagonal and vent it at the side and back of the camper. Maybe i could remove some of the exterior of the AC unit to help it breath, but either way I still have to vent the cool air into the cabin (and seal it as it would if in window).
I am seeing the portable units that you can get at big box stores. Seems they use vent tubes to use outside air for cooling the fins. This might be an option and might even work as portable, something I do not have to take on every trip.
I do not mind mounting it permanent.
I am looking for the best solution to cool the camper. I have never seen a portable unit in action, and the stores do not have them displayed this time of year.
Anyone fabricated something like this?

1stDeuce

Explorer
I've seen a few pics of very tiny A/C units mounted on the back wall. They didn't look to stick out more than 10" or so. I would suspect that clearance to your cargo trailer isn't that tight... ?? There are small portable units as well, which you could place outside the camper and duct into it. One of my friends did this a few summers ago. It worked, and kept the noise down a bit vs. having it installed in the ceiling or elsewhere. He only set it up once, so I believe he used cardboard, duct tape, and flexible foil and wire ducting.
Good Luck!

subterran

Adventurer
Hiya!
I considered a portable AC unit, but they don't work as well as a window unit, and they use about 1/3 to 1/2 more power than an equal btu window unit. That makes them hard to use with a generator. Plus, they are huge. Check out my build thread in my signature, post #56 for my solution. Good luck, and "stay cool"! Heh heh!

AC_outside_3.JPG AC_inside 1.JPG

Last edited:

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
No Easy Answer

The common rooftop units take a lot of power, a real issue when running on a genset or on batteries.

The 6k BTU window units used by Tiger and Earthroamer take much less current (about 60A 12v DC) when the compressor is running, but you still need a HUGE inverter (3000w+) to start them. If you don't mount through the wall so that the compressor side gets ample airflow, you will have to do some cutting and probably install a booster fan to avoid overheating of the compressor.

Some of our Euro/Aussie colleagues have had good luck with small split units, but I have not seen any 110v units for sale in the US. (But I haven't looked that hard.)

If you have a LOT of money, this is an option:
http://www.arcticbreeze-truckac.com One of these has been repackaged to fit inside a Sprinter Class B camper.

longhorn1

Observer
I have a pop up truck camper and want AC. I do not want a roof AC for several reasons, though I have one sitting in the garage from a wrecked RV.
I am looking at window units, but rather not have to hang it out and I cannot mount it hanging out as I often tow a cargo trailer that would hit it in the turns.
I was thinking maybe mount it inside in the rear corner at a diagonal and vent it at the side and back of the camper. Maybe i could remove some of the exterior of the AC unit to help it breath, but either way I still have to vent the cool air into the cabin (and seal it as it would if in window).
I am seeing the portable units that you can get at big box stores. Seems they use vent tubes to use outside air for cooling the fins. This might be an option and might even work as portable, something I do not have to take on every trip.
I do not mind mounting it permanent.
I am looking for the best solution to cool the camper. I have never seen a portable unit in action, and the stores do not have them displayed this time of year.
Anyone fabricated something like this?

This is the small unit I use in my pop-up. The duct tube goes out through the turnbuckle door and i use a piece of roofing single-ply to seal around it and cover the rest of the opening.
http://www.compactappliance.com/Kol...n-Portable-Air-Conditioner-White/PAC701W.html
The unit was around $325+/- jd

andytruck

Observer
subterr, yes, yours is kind-of half in half out, that almost could work. My cargo trailer will probably hit the camper at some point, so anything sticking out will get knocked and will put a big dent in the trailer. Trailer is a V-nose.
I am not wanting to spend more on AC than the camper.
I am thinking about just making the rear corner space completely open to the outside
so the AC can vent, will be like a very miniature back porch for the unit. Have open on the back and side just enough for venting, then waterproof it all. But keep the corner pillar for support of the camper.
I've never even owned a window unit for the house, so this is all new to me.
thanks

subterran

Adventurer
andytruck,
Mine is completely removable- and I do so during the cold months. No need for that extra weight all year, after all. And you wouldn't have to cut into your camper in any way. I also only have about $100.00 in the whole thing. You'd be hard pressed to find a portable unit for anywhere near that. The other 'dark secret' about portables (and I do own a Portable AC that we use as an emergency backup in our house) is that most of them create negative pressure. There are certain units that are RARE that have 2 vent hoses, and those don't have this problem. The issue is, the single vent tube models only push the hot air out. They have no way to suck in air from outside, so it will pull air from inside your camper causing it to suck in hot air from every possible air leak. They are just not a great idea. If you can do no better - then do what you have to do, but for me, a portable would be my last possible choice. Window units really are 'that much' better. Whichever way you go, good luck to you!

subterran

Adventurer
Actually, after re-reading your post, I was thinking maybe you should see / consider a drawer style slide out for a window unit. Some folks in the fiberglass egg trailers, and cargo trailer conversions will mount a small window unit like mine on drawer slides, and fab a door on the outside. When they need the AC, they slide it out the little door, if you get me.

If you have the room inside to house a little window unit, then maybe that would work for you.

This picture is sortof what I mean:

image.jpeg

huskyrunnr

I set out to do like longhorn with an 8000 btu honeywell. Then I realized I could butt the whole backside of the ac up to some cutouts in the lower wall of the alaskan camper this eliminates the vent tube. The honda eu2000i would not tolerate a compressor cycle until I added a hard start capacitor to the ac. I was surprised that it cycles in ecomode after that modification.

adam88

Explorer
Actually, after re-reading your post, I was thinking maybe you should see / consider a drawer style slide out for a window unit. Some folks in the fiberglass egg trailers, and cargo trailer conversions will mount a small window unit like mine on drawer slides, and fab a door on the outside. When they need the AC, they slide it out the little door, if you get me.

If you have the room inside to house a little window unit, then maybe that would work for you.

View attachment 332384

That's a really smart way to do an A/C. Best of all, it could be designed to be easily removable in non-summer months. Simply undo a few screws for the rails and remove the AC unit. Then you've got a winter storage cubby for boots and stuff! Awesome :) This is why I love these forums... so innovative.

fisher205

Explorer
I set out to do like longhorn with an 8000 btu honeywell. Then I realized I could butt the whole backside of the ac up to some cutouts in the lower wall of the alaskan camper this eliminates the vent tube. The honda eu2000i would not tolerate a compressor cycle until I added a hard start capacitor to the ac. I was surprised that it cycles in ecomode after that modification.

Do you have any pictures of this. It sounds interesting. We rarely need AC but it would be nice to add if we do.

huskyrunnr

I'm sorry I have no pictures and the unit is out of the camper and in storage until summer. The whole backside of the portable ac is the intake and exhaust for the condenser side. It is completely isolated from the airflow on the cooling side. I put foam weatherseal gasket around the back of the ac and then strapped it to the wall with D rings and a couple of tiedowns. The condenser intake matched up to where the refrigerator vent is. I had ditched the nonfunctioning fridge. I had to drill a hole to match up with the condenser exhaust, where the exhaust hose usually connects. I also drilled a small drain hole at the bottom so I don't have to empty the water pan.

The condenser intake is now using outside air to cool the coils but the ac will still freeze you out. No negative pressure.

Oh, I remember now how I learned those airflows are isolated from each other. The ac was making a hideous rattling noise whenever the compressor came on. I pulled the thing apart and found a copper line was just barely touching the compressor so I bent it out a bit. Then studied the airflow design.

Last edited:

andytruck

Observer
Is this your photo, your rig?
That was my original idea. I like, and never thought to put the drawer slides flat like that. I guess it works just the same?
With the truck bed sides taking up a big chunk of exterior wall I don't have that much to work with, and my window, the only window, is inadequate for an AC unit. The rear door would actually be ideal as it would not hit the trailer, but I don't think the frame will hold it.
So, you have the unit framed in, the weather seal frame mounted to the unit, and did that twice, once for when deployed and once for when it is pulled back in? How does it weather seal when out?
I think to put this not in a cabinet, but on the bench seat. If someone needs to sit, then deploy the ac unit and there should be room minus a few inches.
I have time to live with the idea as i am restoring the camper from hell.
Anyone have best recommendations on a good unit? I have read on HD reviews some window units are louder than others. I'm in the $99-150 range.
thanks

View attachment 332384

subterran

Adventurer
No, not my picture or my rig. I found it on the internet. As for the outside, there's a hatch / door on the outside, with hinges on the top. When you push the AC out, it holds the door open. The door deflects most rain, etc. And yes, there is a board surrounding the sliding AC unit that forms a seal when it's pushed out. This photo looks like it's probably a pop up trailer camper, but you could adapt the idea to a truck camper easily enough, if you have the room inside. You dont need a cabinet, as you say.

image.jpeg

I had no extra space in mine, which is why I hung it out the window.

As for what unit to buy, the one in my build was the smallest one dimentionally that I could find, and it will run from a 1000 watt generator, if thats important to you. Mine is an Arctic King WWK-05CMN1-BI7 from Walmart, but it looks like right now it's easier to find them on ebay, although this is a lot more than I paid:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Arctic-King...118707?hash=item464928c273:g:qCYAAOSweW5U4tpv

Maybe give it a few months, and check Walmart again.

Last edited:

adam88

Explorer
No, not my picture or my rig. I found it on the internet. As for the outside, there's a hatch / door on the outside, with hinges on the top. When you push the AC out, it holds the door open. The door deflects most rain, etc. And yes, there is a board surrounding the sliding AC unit that forms a seal when it's pushed out. This photo looks like it's probably a pop up trailer camper, but you could adapt the idea to a truck camper easily enough, if you have the room inside. You dont need a cabinet, as you say.

View attachment 332529

I had no extra space in mine, which is why I hung it out the window.

As for what unit to buy, the one in my build was the smallest one dimentionally that I could find, and it will run from a 1000 watt generator, if thats important to you. Mine is an Arctic King WWK-05CMN1-BI7 from Walmart, but it looks like right now it's easier to find them on ebay, although this is a lot more than I paid:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Arctic-King...118707?hash=item464928c273:g:qCYAAOSweW5U4tpv

Maybe give it a few months, and check Walmart again.

Thanks for the photos. This is a great idea. What makes it an even better idea is that the area where the A/C sits can be used for shoes/boots when the AC is slid out. So basically when you stop and set-up camp, and push the AC out, you've got a storage area for shoes without wasting space. Best of all, the A/C can be easily removed (few minutes) in non-summer months. So for 6-8 months out of the year you aren't dragging an AC around. With the hard mounted ones like FWC installs, the AC is always there even in winter.

Would love to see FWC implement something like this in their flatbed models. I think it would be a huge seller.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles