Air compressor

alia176

Explorer
Long time ago, I helped couple of buddies install a pair of MV50s into their rigs using check valves. This provided ample air at a good cost. The installation was under the hood so they'd usually prop the hood open during the airing up process. One of them installed a 12vdc muffin fan to blow over the air comps.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
MV50 provides the best bang for the buck IMO. If you air up needs are less than 12 times a year the MV50 is for you. I air down a lot and use permanently mounted PUMA's in our Land Cruisers but we also have a couple of MV50 (for years) we carry in other vehicle or loan out to newbies.

67cj5

Man On a Mission
My first serious Compressor was the TruckAir275 that I bought in 2003 and I still have it to this day still in it's Box, Then about 8 months ago I bought a generic Twin cylinder compressor and within a couple of week I broke the hose clip, I was having trouble locating a new hose for it so I bought The ARB High Output CKMP12 Compressor in the Tool Box, and then the new hose turned up for the Twin Pot model, And then I decided I wanted to buy the ARB Twin Motor Portable Compressor and it is the best there is on the market bar none, I also got the Blue Tyre Inflator Gauge free with it, I also got the same Gauge free with the ARB Single High Output Unit,

Out of all the Compressors/Unit's I would have to say that the ARB Single High Output is the Nicest, lightest user friendly Compressor on the market when used in conjunction with the Blue analog Gauge It all just works and is very Accurate and a pleasure to manoeuvre around a vehicle, The Hoes system just works so well makes this system/package the best to use on the market bar none, Not yet had a chance to try out the Big ARB Twin until I return home I can't say what it is like to operate but it will be very fast, But if a person has Tyres of around 35" mark then I would say buy the ARB single just because it is such a pleasure to use, It took a 245/70/16 from 15 to 32 psi in 1 minute 03 seconds which is equal to a 29.6/30" tyre but it will handle tyres up to the 37" mark without over taxing the Duty Cycle. The ARB High Output has over 12x the output of the older TruckAir275 which at one time use to be the go to compressor in the 4WD world and they were standard equipment of every proud 4WD Owner. They are still Tough and have a very long Duty Cycle but they just don't have the output of even some of the cheapest units on the market

If I had to do it all over again then I would buy the ARB Portable CKMP12 first because it is light enough and easy to move from car to car/Truck and it is just a pleasure to use And the/or the CKMTP12/Twin and the Accessory Gauges are a must have Item.

hope that helps.

Last edited:

rnArmy

Adventurer
I always like to have links and pictures to see what folks are talking about (and how much they cost). Prices and pictures are from 4 Wheel Parts just for reference purposes only - if you shop around you might find them cheaper.

ARB CKMTP12/Twin: https://www.4wheelparts.com/p/arb-twin-air-compressor-kit-ckmtp12/_/R-BHWQ-CKMTP12 ($831.25)

1537035459195.png

ARB CKMP12: https://www.4wheelparts.com/p/arb-p...12-volt-air-compressor-ckmp12/_/R-BHWQ-CKMP12 ($334.40)

1537035384102.png

Nice (ARB makes nice stuff), but definitely neither are cheap! Of course, when you're out in the middle of nowhere (overlanding?) and you need something like this, you're probably not thinking of how much it cost you if it'll get your out of a predicament.

Last edited:

67cj5

Man On a Mission
I always like to have links and pictures to see what folks are talking about (and how much they cost). Prices and pictures are from 4 Wheel Parts just for reference purposes only - if you shop around you might find them cheaper.

ARB CKMTP12/Twin: https://www.4wheelparts.com/p/arb-twin-air-compressor-kit-ckmtp12/_/R-BHWQ-CKMTP12 ($831.25)

View attachment 472784

ARB CKMP12: https://www.4wheelparts.com/p/arb-p...12-volt-air-compressor-ckmp12/_/R-BHWQ-CKMP12 ($334.40)

View attachment 472783

Nice (ARB makes nice stuff), but definitely neither are cheap! Of course, when you're out in the middle of nowhere (overlanding?) and you need something like this, you're probably not thinking of how much it cost you if it'll get your out of a predicament.
Well like I said I bought a cheaper Generic Twin cylinder compressor and the hose dies within 2 or 3 weeks even though the pump was perfect but I could not get a spare hose for it so I bought the ARB Single ckmp12 and then a few weeks later the hose for the twin arrived, But the ckmp12 is the best compressor out of them all and the Twin is like a HD version of the ckmp12,

After the hassle of trying to get parts for a cheap compressor I went with ARB because the parts are available world wide And I need my compressor at leased Twice a week, No more problems, And you would not believe some of the pictures I have seen where some of these companies have used the card board boxes their compressors come in for Gaskits and for piston tops/valves etc and the plastic conrods that they come with is despicable, That is the Truth of why you should buy ARB Compressors,

hope that helps.

rnArmy

Adventurer
I think if I were having to use mine twice-a-week, I'd make sure I had a really good one too (like your ARB compressor).

67cj5

Man On a Mission
I think if I were having to use mine twice-a-week, I'd make sure I had a really good one too (like your ARB compressor).
I tested that Twin ARB out on my standard street Tyres and it is crazy fast from 15 to 30 psi, It takes longer to hook it up to the battery than it does to inflate all 4 Tyres from 15 to 30 psi, lol.

alia176

Explorer
10 amps is way too little to make this worthy. Go big or go home!!
Who wants to trust these ACs? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H4LC8R...&pd_rd_r=03bfdaa7-d0ab-11e8-a1fa-3b320cf86cd1

Power:120W,DC12V, 10A
Maximum pressure: 150 PSI
Battery capacity: 2200MAH
Inflation speed:0.7CFM (20L/min)
Operation temperature: -20℃~+60℃

I don't think the portability and weight advantages would overcome the slowness. Another handheld tool claimed it can fill up 4 tires on a single charge.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles