Air Compressor Location

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted
I've had a VIAIR compressor now for a little over a year (honestly don't remember what model it is) but haven't installed it due to not knowing the best location to put it. I thought about installing it somewhere in the engine bay but someone recommended against that if I intend to ever do water crossings, not to mention my engine bay is tight as is. However, I'm already limited on space inside my TJ and I'd rather not put it somewhere in the cab or back. Another person told me to build a small watertight lockbox for the compressor and mount it to my rack, now that sounds overcomplicated to me. That being said, where does everyone mount their compressors (any and all vehicles) or who has a good recommendation for installation location?

My vehicle information: 2005 TJ Rubicon

The compressor is currently 500 miles away from me but intend to grab next time I'm in the area.

SheepnJeep

Depending on how big it is, I have seen them put under seats before. Or you could stick it on a wheel well and pop a rubberized bag over the top for your open air excursions. I'm thinking of a winch cover type of deal?

-Jesse

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted
Depending on how big it is, I have seen them put under seats before. Or you could stick it on a wheel well and pop a rubberized bag over the top for your open air excursions. I'm thinking of a winch cover type of deal?

-Jesse

Since I plan to build a removable platform in the back of the Jeep, I'm not sure the wheel well would be the best location. I actually have a winch cover that I don't use that could be used to cover the compressor, however, open air excursions are not something I do in my Wrangler. Hardtop is already a PITA to remove and I also have a Gobi:)

I believe it's the VIAIR 450H if that helps any, so here are dimensions I pulled online: 12"x4"x6.75" (LxWxH)

Lucky j

Explorer
My viair is just behind my driver seat, bolt to the floor along the tunnel. Perfect fit, and still some room for small feet.

But mine came with a hose and foam air filter for air intake. So if it is not working when fording water, I do not think that it should be a problem under the hood. I just prefer mine inside.

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted
Will that squeeze into the drivers side ABS tray?

That is a no. I distinctly remember testing that location when I first got it and being a little disappointed it wouldn't fit.

I really wish I had it in my hands right now so I could be just testing spots all around and inside the Jeep

Hi all,

In my FJ40 I have an old (1990s era) ARB compressor hard mounted to the inner fender. But in my Tacoma, I carry another old ARB compressor that I have converted to be a "mobile" unit, with battery clamps for powering. I like the idea of being able to physically move the compressor from vehicle to vehicle.

Good luck,

Alan

theksmith

Explorer
under the passenger seat is common for JK's, not sure if it would fit on a TJ though with the fold-n-tumble seat mechanism.

also saw this (not mine):
DSC02384.jpg

motorcycle matt

Not sure how much junk you keep in the glove box, but if you could store that stuff elsewhere then I think that would be a neat out of the way place.

krick3tt

Adventurer
I keep mine in a fat 50 ammo can, perfect fit and room for the air hose, gloves, safety glasses, spare filter and air gage. Keep the ammo can behind the center console in front of the ARB cooler in my LR. This way I can transport it to any vehicle in need.

OhioWrangler

I mounted my sons ARB compressor under the master cylinder on his 06 wrangler X. There is a plate bolted there that was perfect, ran the control wiring inside and power feeds across the fire wall to the battery, I can get pic's later if you'd like to see it. Ron

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles