Air compressor for HD trucks

1stDeuce

Explorer
Lots of 12v options for using LOTS of amps, and making decent air, but an on board air setup using a york is the king. If a kit is available for your truck, it's where I'd go. You'd be done airing up in 10 minutes or less.

Another approach: Don't worry about airing up all the way, just get up to a pressure that will get you to a service station with a real compressor, or home if it's not far. I bet you would have been done in less than half the time if you only went to 40/35, and that would be plenty of air for a short drive to a better source, or home...
Just a thought.

Also, the idea that a big air tank can make up for a small compressor is only right if you're running an air impact, or airing up ONE tire. OR if "big" means 60 gallons. Even with a 5 gallon tank, which is "big" when you try to find a place for it, you've gained almost nothing if you're airing up four tires, and now you have to bring both the tank and the tire up to pressure... I have a 2.5 gallon tank in my Jeep. It helps to re-seat a bead, or run an impact for short bursts, but it's useless for airing up tires.

Last edited:

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
If you're going to do it. Do it with a compressor that's got balls. Stopping to air up, again, sucks.

I'd skip the York, because adding more weight in front of the front axle is fighting words to me. Especially since we already added a winch and bumper. An electric compressor helps me keep weight with in the wheelbase. That's where my aux battery goes as well.

Heading Out

Adventurer
HD trucks have a built in air compressor for the air brakes

Yes, a large gear driven compressor with a 100% duty cycle, one could be run off the PTO,
this would require some custom machined parts etc. could be an option, but overkill for most.
Need a compressor, governor, air dryer etc. expensive and heavy

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
I run a Viair 450C, and have no trouble airing up to 75PSI with my 35's

Simple setup that includes a 3 gallon tank, in cab controls for compressor and
load leveling bags, and a quick release air port on each side of the truck.

Not fast, by any means, but the compressor is rated at 100% duty cycle.
So in theory..... it should be able to run without melt down. In theory :ROFLMAO:
If I wanted faster, Id simply add another one.... they are cheap enough, very light, and dont take up much space at all.

Tank and compressor are installed along passenger side frame rail.

47209779462_f106660a84_b.jpg

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I have a Viair 400p. It'll inflate all four 35's from 25 psi to 50 psi within the 33% duty cycle. 50 psi should get me to a station with a bit of squirm. I only run 60 psi in my Toyo 35-12.50-17's.

Betarocker

Adventurer
I've been using an Air Zenith. 200psi, 100% Duty Cycle, 4.25 CFM at 30psi. Takes about a minute to top up a 5 gallong tank from 90 to 145psi. On Sale for $300 on their website.

danneskjold

I see lots of talk about “cheaper” options. But if money was no object (or realistically, anything under $1000 was fine) what is the best option?

I have an ARB Twin on my old truck right now, and exploring options for airing up 41” MPT81s on my new truck.

jonathon

@jonathon What is your budget? Some of the hi-output compressor talked about here are $1000+s

ARB twin is the top end at $600ish, which of course includes nothing. I do like their portable kit but at nearly $900 it’s a little pricey. From all the reviews I’m reading it may be worth it for how fast it is. The Puma isn’t as fast, but it seems to be an excellent value and would probably get me going in 15 minutes or less. I figure the ARB would probably do it in 10 min or so.

When I finally get tired of the stock Transforce HT tires I’ll be putting a 35” tire on and probably run a little less pressure on the highway.The Transforce HT tires are pretty squirmy below 50. The truck itself is pretty much stock.

jonathon

I ended up going with the Puma. Going to put a Maxi fuse right off the battery with an SB50 under the hood with 6 gauge welding wire. Just going with a long enough run to set the compressor on the ground in front of the truck so 6 gauge should be plenty. I’ll post an update when I get it all together. I’ll have about $350 into it all said done, lot better than $900 for the ARB portable.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
I ended up going with the Puma. Going to put a Maxi fuse right off the battery with an SB50 under the hood with 6 gauge welding wire. Just going with a long enough run to set the compressor on the ground in front of the truck so 6 gauge should be plenty. I’ll post an update when I get it all together. I’ll have about $350 into it all said done, lot better than $900 for the ARB portable.

Great choice my oldest and used monthly Puma was purchased in 2007. The ARB is slightly faster but agree not enough to justify the additional cost.

Puma portable

48B09AE7-DF0F-4BA8-B2B3-D4E03EAE82EA.jpeg

Last edited:

MTVR

HD trucks have a built in air compressor for the air brakes

Yeah, I was going to suggest that the OP remove the "HD" from his thread title- the Ram 2500 is one of Fiat's LIGHT duty vehicles.

Our heavy duty truck came with TWO air systems...

jonathon

Great choice my oldest and used monthly Puma was purchased in 2007. The ARB is slightly faster but agree not enough to justify the additional cost.

Puma portable

View attachment 600476

That is a cool a setup! You’re posts on IH8Mud are a lot of why I went with the Puma.

Yeah, I was going to suggest that the OP remove the "HD" from his thread title- the Ram 2500 is one of Fiat's LIGHT duty vehicles.

Our heavy duty truck came with TWO air systems...

It’s a “light truck” but in the consumer world it’s still “HD”, but if we are going to wade into the weeds let’s break it down to class 2b and 3 trucks that your average person is going to operate.

MTVR

It’s a “light truck” but in the consumer world it’s still “HD”, but if we are going to wade into the weeds let’s break it down to class 2b and 3 trucks that your average person is going to operate.

It's a light duty vehicle- you could load THREE Ram 2500s down to their maximum GVWR and stack them in the bed of our heavy duty truck, and we still wouldn't be over our GVWR.

Last edited:

jonathon

Received the Puma. I used 6 gauge welding wire to build a harness with SB50 connectors. I also removed the regulator as it seemed unneeded. This compressor is an impressive upgrade. Takes 4 minutes to air up to 60 PSI from 20 PSI. I’ll do a write up in a couple weeks with how I set it up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles