Air Compressor Data FYI

Wilbah

Adventurer
In reading different threads here where people cite the onboard air systems they are using or asking about I put a table of different compressors with some specs together that might be helpful. I know I'm surprised at the variations in CFM different systems offer. Keep in mind this is only the compressor so depending on your use and CFM needs a tank might be needed. I hope it helps some in deciding what they want/need. I got this info from the manufacturer sites so it should be accurate. But I know some things even on MFR sites are at odds (Kleinn lists 2 CFM at 0 PSI in the text description of their product but the table listed 1.37). Also the price variations are really big- over $100 between some retailers so definitely shop around! The prices I listed were what I saw on various sites. Air Compressors.jpg

Superduty

Adventurer
WOW. Great chart, Thanks for compiling all the info.

For the air compressor experts out there. Does comparing the 0 PSI CFM rating across the board give a true comparison? The ARB dual compressor has the highest rating at 0, besides the Oasis models. But does that mean it will air up tires the quickest? I'm guessing the answer is no. Is there a way to figure out the ARB CFM at 90psi to give a better comparison?

Wilbah

Adventurer
Thanks for doing this, but where are the low cost/low end models?

The Viair 85 compressor I have works fine (if a little slow) for my UZj100 running slightly oversize AT tires. Cost much less than $100 three years ago.

IMO real "overlanding" does not require massive oversize tires.

I have a couple of cheap versions and have had luck with them but I think it ultimately comes down to time given their lower CFM and duty cycle. I know I've overheated some. Not that hanging out or using it as a beer stop doesn't have its merits but it does get old. Finding a happy medium of cost/time seems like a good idea. Of course for folks running big tires that time grows exponentially w/smaller compressors. But I have nothing against lesser ones.

Superduty

Adventurer
Thanks for doing this, but where are the low cost/low end models?

The Viair 85 compressor I have works fine (if a little slow) for my UZj100 running slightly oversize AT tires. Cost much less than $100 three years ago.

IMO real "overlanding" does not require massive oversize tires.

All depends what kind of "land" you are going over and what your definition of massive is.

RoyJ

Adventurer
WOW. Great chart, Thanks for compiling all the info.

For the air compressor experts out there. Does comparing the 0 PSI CFM rating across the board give a true comparison? The ARB dual compressor has the highest rating at 0, besides the Oasis models. But does that mean it will air up tires the quickest? I'm guessing the answer is no. Is there a way to figure out the ARB CFM at 90psi to give a better comparison?

Not at all - some compressors are "geared" towards high psi performance, and some low psi performance. Sort of like a truck in 4Lo vs 4Hi, sort of...

Look at the ExtremeAir Mag vs twin Viair 485 - at 100 psi the Viars nearly puts out equal CFM, but at HALF the amount of amps. But at 0 psi open flow, the Viairs only puts out 60% of the Magnum.

High open flow great for airing up big low psi tires, and high flow @ 100psi is better for air tanks.

frans

Adventurer
I was thinking of getting a puma air compressor. Do you have any info on those? Thanks in advance

RoyJ

Adventurer
I was thinking of getting a puma air compressor. Do you have any info on those? Thanks in advance

According to:

https://www.aircompressorsdirect.com/Puma-PD1006-Air-Compressor/p13972.html

It's 1.36 CFM @ 90 psi, and 3.3 CFM @ 40 psi. I believe the 90 psi rating is a little inflated, and the 40 psi rating is VERY inflated.

I have both the Puma and Viair 440P. The Viair does 1.44 CFM @ 90, and 2.12 CFM @ 40. Inflating tires up to 40 psi, the Viair wins, every time. Up to 80 psi, the Viair wins even with a pre-charged tank on the Puma.

However, the Puma feels like it'll run all day (many users confirmed it). If I'm doing big tires to 80, I use the Puma; 30 psi on Jeep 37s - the Viair.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles