Air Coil failed (not mine)

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
So there’s always a lot to talk about air Struts vs coils on here and everyone always "says" point to a time air strut failing (that could not be saved with a DII or a bumpstop ride. Check out @expoditonamerica on Instagram today for updates.
But I don't think he not going to use a DII to get this back off the trail in Moab.
I will not feel bad when I go to Coils at all, because this is the kind of stuff that happens to me

03B308CA-6F5D-4AC0-8DCF-0B0C7C3D8C52.png

Last edited:

XJLI

Adventurer
its a wear item, just like anything else. I wouldn't go on a multi-week overland whatever trip (like he is doing right now) with 100k+ on the original shocks in any vehicle, I wonder if this was an original/OEM/aftermarket strut.

Carson G

Just because a air strut isn’t leaking doesn’t mean it doesn’t need to be replaced. He is off road a lot and I’m pretty sure his LR3 has around 130k miles on original struts. My rule of thumb is at every 100k do a full suspension overhaul. Valves, struts, compressor, control arms, etc.

Agreed with @Carson G; ridiculous post to be honest since we are using a the "exception" once again to label the entire industry. Not sure what his mileage was but if it was 100k on those struts and planning an "Overland" trip, I would go back to refining my mission and logistics planning before I posted an exception looking for everyone to pat me on the back for finding an air-bag failure.

I think we should do a thread on "proof of maintenance records" where we all lay our cards on the table to what exact maintenance we do IN ACCORDANCE WITH OUR OEM and what ADDITIONAL we do. Any takers? I bet all the HATERS and TROLLS are silent! ANY vehicle will work, Jeep, Toyota, JLR, Yugo, whatever you bring, you sling!

Anyone wanna chat about brake hose life limits? Nope, but people will strap their entire family in the vehicle at 90mph on the freeway or their lifted rigs, $3k Fox and Icon shocks and 35" and never once upgrade the brakes or replace the brake hoses per INDUSTRY SAFETY STANDARDS. I say the same crap to my fellow motorcycle buddies.

Let's not forget @TexasTJ, we've been hearing you talk about selling your LR3 for about 3 years now and then modify it and then sell it and then modify it and then sell it. Put coils on it then; I'll help you and we can document FaceBook Live (yours, not mine cuz I don't FB) on your upgrade kit, installation, overall ease of installation, why you'll want new springs, spacers, whey they don't fit, etc.

FYI, I can change an air strut in about 30 minutes on the trail, 15 in the garage! I'm all about coils; when someone makes the perfect set up and we don't have to settle on a 2" kit that rides okay and is actually more like 1.5" on a good day and needs a hodge-podge of coil configs to feel right.

Unless you are going full custom configs like @Ray_G then you are stuck with a sub-par coil set up that will need further performance changes due to weight/use of your LR3/4..........PERIOD.

So, yeah, let's talk about air bags until you're blue in the face and then we can go over your rig on FaceBook Live so we can see the rest of the vehicle too.

2008 LR3 or 2020 D110; brake hoses, power steering hoses, coolant hoses, sensors, etc.......all need to be changed on an interval or at visual or data signs of wear out of limits. If you are on bags; it's about 10 years give or take on usage.

Take your newest car in the garage and I bet you are driving it outside of OEM maintenance considerations; the vast majority of the planet is. It's by no means a cut on you or anyone else; but more of a reality check when we see posts like this.

I think I remember telling you about 1.5 years ago that I would take your LR3; not at your price but at mine which was a very good offer! Wink wink!

Nobody knows what ExpeditionAmerica's maintenance looks like on his vehicle and I won't question it. He had a bag failure but if you want to open up a convo, then you have to be ready to hear ALL of the conversation.

XJLI

Adventurer
the reason why LC100s never break down and go 350k miles is because those crazy people do preventative maintenance on EVERYTHING. 180k miles? Change the steering rack and brake booster, $2k in parts. You know, because it might fail and you don't want to get stranded! If you are doing 'United Nations operating in a warzone' level of PM on ANY vehicle, it sure as hell better last half a million miles. Isn't there a red LR4 running around this forum with like 220k on it and no reported failures? Maintenance, maintenance, maintenance.

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
I think I remember telling you about 1.5 years ago that I would take your LR3; not at your price but at mine which was a very good offer! Wink wink!

After our Hail storm last Tuesday you don't want it :) its crazy what golf ball to tennis ball size hail will do to a Bonnet. ?‍♂️ I'm not worried about my suspension right now, I need to fix the leakie trans sleeve and my Tie rods. that will be this months $600 dollars in Maintenance. will see what I'm shelling money out for next month.

0516AB40-D8B2-4E6C-982C-6B95DE76FEAE.jpeg

Last edited:

Carson G

the reason why LC100s never break down and go 350k miles is because those crazy people do preventative maintenance on EVERYTHING. 180k miles? Change the steering rack and brake booster, $2k in parts. You know, because it might fail and you don't want to get stranded! If you are doing 'United Nations operating in a warzone' level of PM on ANY vehicle, it sure as hell better last half a million miles. Isn't there a red LR4 running around this forum with like 220k on it and no reported failures? Maintenance, maintenance, maintenance.
I heard about a LR3 with 640k miles and I personally know of several with 300k+. It’s all about maintenance. All the issues are well documented on these vehicles. You should take that into consideration before buying one. Also replace wear items before they’re completely shot it could save your life and that goes for any type or brand of vehicle.

Blaise

Folks - you want a reason not to run Johnson rods (or whatever lift he's running) - here it is.

You're asking your air strut to ride topped out. And then you're surprised when it tops out too far?

lol.

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
If my 275/65's would fit with out them, I would pull mine off. But the truck came with a new set of KO2's when I bought it and I'm not getting new tires till I have too... But I do agree with you on the no lift on an LR3, and you done need one to explore in these truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior