Air chuck keeps popping off valve stem?

leaveyourego, thanks for the link. Did you find going to a regular air hose improved flow?

Honestly, it's been long enough ago (2008-ish) that I can't remember what the air time was before I did the mod. It's possible the bigger tap performs better, but I couldn't say. Having taken the valve cover off the MV-50 a few times the exhaust port about matches the interior diameter of 1/4" hose, so it might be less restricted this way. I think the bigger benefit of doing it was being able to use the 1/4" NPT fittings. I've busted hoses on the trail before and I like being able to swap a spare in real quick. They're just more commonly available.

67cj5

Man On a Mission
Get a small file and sharpen the flat metal locking jaw in the chuck, Most likely over the years you have worn a flat spot on the flat locking clamp/bar so it is now too wide to grip between the threads of the valve, sharpen it up and it should start gripping again, Or just change the chuck.

hope that helps.

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
I noticed (when following leaveyourego's chuck link to amazon that there are replacement rubber compression tube locking chucks available; perhaps take the rubber tube section from one of these and install it into you Viare chuck...
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076F2PL5...&pd_rd_r=a20b867a-5d28-11e9-a06e-192fdd5f6825
Normally they disassemble by pushing the lever into the body until the pivot pin can be removed then just pull out the pieces.

...I'm off to amazon to order chucks...

Hope it helps!

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Honestly, it's been long enough ago (2008-ish) that I can't remember what the air time was before I did the mod. It's possible the bigger tap performs better, but I couldn't say. Having taken the valve cover off the MV-50 a few times the exhaust port about matches the interior diameter of 1/4" hose, so it might be less restricted this way. I think the bigger benefit of doing it was being able to use the 1/4" NPT fittings. I've busted hoses on the trail before and I like being able to swap a spare in real quick. They're just more commonly available.
Chucking (so to speak) the weird fittings from my MV-50 was one of the best thing I ever did. Along with rewiring it.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck

shade

I didn't care for the coiled hose that came with my VIAIR 400P (too bulky), or the pistol grip/dial gauge inflator (too goofy). Speaking of goofy, whatever thread pitch they use for the fittings fits that definition.

I replaced it all with a 25'x1/4" Flexzilla hose, and a Milton 503 Single Head Air Chuck Inflator Gauge.

The hose is very flexible, can be repaired in the field, is light, and packs small with a Nite Ize Gear Tie. The Milton 503 works great, and could be used as a deflator if I didn't use an ARB E-Z Deflator. The best part about the Milton is that the 3' whip is long enough that I can stand upright while using it. Clip it on and have a Pepsi while airing up.

67cj5

Man On a Mission
I didn't care for the coiled hose that came with my VIAIR 400P (too bulky), or the pistol grip/dial gauge inflator (too goofy). Speaking of goofy, whatever thread pitch they use for the fittings fits that definition.

I replaced it all with a 25'x1/4" Flexzilla hose, and a Milton 503 Single Head Air Chuck Inflator Gauge.

The hose is very flexible, can be repaired in the field, is light, and packs small with a Nite Ize Gear Tie. The Milton 503 works great, and could be used as a deflator if I didn't use an ARB E-Z Deflator. The best part about the Milton is that the 3' whip is long enough that I can stand upright while using it. Clip it on and have a Pepsi while airing up.
Yeah I had 2 of the ARB Blue analog Inflators and I bought the Digital one but the hose was too stiff on it that it kept making the chuck leak so I cut the plastic sheathing off the braided hose and then I fitted it to one of the Blue ARB Gauge/Inflators, Standing up Straight enjoying the Good Life, (y)

Ct126x

Hello - I know this is an old thread, but didn't want to duplicate one just to ask a question.

I have a Viair 400P (not the automatic version) and would like to replace to original hose/air chuck it comes with. The hose is too stiff and gets tangled easily. I also don't like the design of the air chuck because it keeps popping off the valve stem unless I hold it tightly or adjust the angle of it. I like the idea of using the Flexzilla hose and a quick connect chuck. Can anybody confirm exactly what parts are needed to put this together? I noticed in previous posts, it was only mentioned to get an open flow chuck and the hose itself. What about the part that attached to the compressor itself? Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles