Air chuck/inflators with accurate gauge

alia176

Explorer
I have a handful of tire press gauges from Discount Tires and they seem to be repeatable to each other :). As mentioned already, I really don't care of the actual #, as long as they're repeatable. I think I have eight of them from DT and hand out to other wheelers. I also have few analog press gauges with the pressure relief button but truthfully, the stick that pokes out is simpler and follows the KISS rule.

Secondly, I have the "auto" tire inflator deal shown previously and it's slow but effective. I find myself getting impatient when I'm airing up using an York air comp under the hood so I manually do them. The York shuts off and I'll never know it since the running engine makes a lot of noise. I've tried this concept on the other rig with an elect air comp and that works better as the comp shuts off, letting me know that tire is done.

Still, this is a slow process as I don't simply loiter much while airing up. Usually we want to air up and hit the road for home, which is typically many hours away but it does have its place.

alia176

Explorer
I recently acquired these from Amazon and I'm happy with them. Seems like they're repeatable and the gauges are easy to read.

axlesandantennas

Approved Vendor
My main gauge is a Longacre. It's got a huge dial on it and very easy to read.

As far as accuracy, I can't claim to know which one is accurate of all my gauges. But, they all read about the same. I have 5 dial gauges. And in the past, I have checked them all on the Jeep. They all read within 1-2 psi after averaging them out. For me, since I'm not in a race care with awesome tires, this works out fairly well. Unless you have something NIST certified, you are kind of shooting in the dark as far as "most accurate" But for home use, I like the Longacre since it was sold on the auspice of being reliable.

I’ve had good luck with Jaco, both analog and digital. Amazon, and Jaco includes a 10% discount on future purchase(s). I like the quick release on the air chuck, a big selling point for me over the typical lever style.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
My problem is that few of them match and I don’t have a “reference standard” with which to calibrate them!
Not much to add to the discussion regarding precision vs accuracy (e.g. aim for consistency, I agree) but for calibration if you happen to live in a high rise or at least have access to something tall consider that water column head pressure is about 27.68 inches/psi or 2.307 feet/psi. So you have 50 feet of hose filled with water hanging from a balcony it'll produce 21.683 psi (sort of relative, although technically it'll have to be I believe pure water at 70°F at sea level at be absolute) of pressure at the bottom. Similarity to horseshoes and handgrenades comes to mind here on things being "close enough." Knowing within less than a psi because it's 85°F in Denver when you do it is far more data than 99.9% of people know about their tire gauge right now.

Last edited:

VincentBowman

AstroAI is an accurate tire gauge. I tested this digital tire pressure monitoring device on one tire while doing multiple applications. The results appeared roughly the same, which is always welcoming to know.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior