AGM charger

Jshields

I'm new to this so bare with me. I got a Northstar 27F fir my 3rd gen Tacoma. I know I'm going to have to top off the battery every once in a while. Has any used the Noco GENIUS5?
I've used there jump packs before and really liked them but I'm back and forth on it. Would like to hear what everyone else is using.

Jshields

I messaged NOCO and they suggested the GENIUS 10. Just want to make sure I dont ruin a new/expensive battery lol

67cj5

Man On a Mission
I'm new to this so bare with me. I got a Northstar 27F fir my 3rd gen Tacoma. I know I'm going to have to top off the battery every once in a while. Has any used the Noco GENIUS5?
I've used there jump packs before and really liked them but I'm back and forth on it. Would like to hear what everyone else is using.
Yeah I have 3 of the NOCO's, I got the G3500 ( 3.5A ) and the G15000 ( 15A ) and the G26000 ( 26A ),

The G26000 is a beast and can do any thing, But if you want a Solid Charger go with the NOCO G15000 It's a great all rounder,

EDIT, I use the G26000 for charging 80A AGM's no problem,

Hope that helps.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I just picked up a Noco GEN5X1 and it works fine for AGM but my criteria was looking for something waterproof more than an ideal charger.

So FWIW my go-to for a while now has been a BatteryMINDer 128CEC1. The reason I got it originally was that it offers an Odyssey/PLT (PLT means Pure Lead, which would also mean Northstar) profile using parameters that are almost exactly what Odyssey suggests as optimal.

Odyssey suggests 14.7V charging, 13.6V float and 24mV/°C for compensation. BatteryMINDer uses 14.7V and 13.6V but follows 28mV/°C for temperature compensation so it's not ideal but darn sure better than no compensation at all.

67cj5

Man On a Mission
I just picked up a Noco GEN5X1 and it works fine for AGM but my criteria was looking for something waterproof more than an ideal charger.

So FWIW my go-to for a while now has been a BatteryMINDer 128CEC1. The reason I got it originally was that it offers an Odyssey/PLT (PLT means Pure Lead, which would also mean Northstar) profile using parameters that are almost exactly what Odyssey suggests as optimal. Odyssey suggests 14.7V charging, 13.6V float and 24mV/°C for compensation (BatteryMINDer uses 14.7V and 13.6V but follows 28mV/°C for temperature compensation).
The Noco's some how seem to adjust their output depending on the the ambient temp, I noticed differant voltage levels depending if I was using it out side in the cold or indoors at room temperature.

DaveInDenver

The Noco's some how seem to adjust their output depending on the the ambient temp, I noticed differant voltage levels depending if I was using it out side in the cold or indoors at room temperature.
Indeed the GEN5X1 I have mentioned temperature compensation although I don't recall them saying what the compensation is and I have not personally measured it to figure it out. Even if it's not ideal any temperature compensation is I think preferred to none.

67cj5

Man On a Mission
Indeed the GEN5X1 I have mentioned temperature compensation although I don't recall them saying what the compensation is and I have not personally measured it to figure it out. Even if it's not ideal any temperature compensation is I think preferred to none.
Yeah Dave, The hotter the ambient temp the lower the voltage they put out, have a look at this chart, I measured the outputs of the Noco and it comes pretty close to what it says here,
Charging Vs Temp of Battery.png

DaveInDenver

I was looking at the NOCO GENIUS5. I contacted NOCO and they suggested the Genius 10
The difference is how much current each can deliver during bulk, 5 amps verses 10 amps. If you're using it to condition and top-up that won't matter too much since the alternator is doing most of the bulk charge. During absorption and float they'll be doing about the same thing. But unless there's a budget or size restriction get the larger one. If you do end up needing to do a full charge the 10 will take half as long to bulk. In fact with a group 27 you could go even larger but Noco's next up is a 25A Pro that's $500.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94