Aggressive all terrain or less aggressive all mud terrain?

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Another enthusiastic vote for Duratracs for aggressive AT. Look into Patagonia MT for a mild mud tire. They have a close center and open outer tread pattern that should be good for longevity. Not sure how quiet they are. I find them intriguing and will be looking at them for my next tire.
Goodyear Duratracs. Very aggressive for an AT, lighter, pretty quiet on highway, but a little noisier past 10-15k miles. Great off road tire if you’re driving far to the dirt. I loved mine on a Tacoma.
I'll 3rd that. I'm on my second set.

Willsfree

LT235/85R-16 TOYO OPEN COUNTRY A/T III E on the 1/2 ton express van. Might be a bit squirrely, gotta keep my hand or knee on the wheel...

1648658474645.png

Bama67

I've tried most all the popular All terrains and so far the Mickey Thompson Baja Boss AT has been the best as far as performance. The do weigh a ton though.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I've tried most all the popular All terrains and so far the Mickey Thompson Baja Boss AT has been the best as far as performance. The do weigh a ton though.
Weight to me is a sign of structural integrity. You can always drop the air down for the ride but if your lighter tire gets squirmy on the highway under load adding more air might not do it. That Boss looks good. Everything's sure getting expensive though.

Explorerinil

Observer
Weight to me is a sign of structural integrity. You can always drop the air down for the ride but if your lighter tire gets squirmy on the highway under load adding more air might not do it. That Boss looks good. Everything's sure getting expensive though.
Yes I agree, look at the heavy Toyo mt, that tire has the strongest carcass of any off the shelf passenger tire. I drove 1000 miles into remote Canada with a 16 penny nail between the tread blocks and one had a bolt stuck in it. I just screwed the bolt down tighter at every fill up.

duratracs

Pros
come in C rating
looks great
ride nice
great traction in snow-like good plus
cornering handling all that

cons
-noisy after 50k miles
-hard to wash with the shoulder lugs.

Explorerinil

Observer
duratracs

Pros
come in C rating
looks great
ride nice

cons
-noisy after 50k miles
My f250 came with duratracs stock, they aren’t bad at all. I’ve rotated them once in 20,000 miles, no weird wear, still got allot of tread. They are louder than Toyo mt’s by far that I’ve had in the past and I hear they have weak sidewalls, but so far I’ve been happy. I have seen non 3 peak snow rated duratracs out there, so be cautious when buying them, as they make a 3 peak rated and non rated tire.

Explorerinil

Observer
as they make a 3 peak rated and non rated tire.

that i didn't know..
Yes, kinda weird, I noticed the new super duty tremors have the same duratrac s but not 3 peak snow rated like mine. there was a discussion on another forum and people started noticing, someone contacted Goodyear, they make two different versions now, both look the same but ones rated and the other is not. I am assuming is the compounds in the tire, now one can be made cheaper. Buyer beware, if you want the 3 peak rated.

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
sliding off a cliff at 1/2mph without being able to control looks like a situation where not even mud tires wouldve saved you, but you'll probably never know. Glad you're OK.

There is a noticeable difference in performance between a HT tire and a MT one. AT Tires are a gray area that will lean toward one or the other depending on the aggressiveness of the tread, obviously. This applies to manners, wear, etc.

If you want a lighter tire, and your truck is on the lighter side as well, you can get away with Load C Tires. You'll cut down in weight significantly vs E rated tires. But this will generally leave you with less options sizewise. What size are you looking for?

I don't recall exact numbers, but my Toyo AT2s were about 10lbs lighter per tire in 265/75R16 vs the E rated version. I really like performance of these tires both on the road as well as off road. I can highly recommend them. (My normal trips are about 900kms on road and 400 off)
I just started looking at 265/75r16 for my ranger and am surprised to see so little options in C or D load.

lugueto

Adventurer
I just started looking at 265/75r16 for my ranger and am surprised to see so little options in C or D load.

You may be right, but if you can take my word for it, seriously consider the Toyo AT's. Performance is great and durability is incredible.

rnArmy

Adventurer
MT Baja Boss AT LT285x75x16. E rated, three peak and snowflake rated. Almost exactly 33" tall. Three ply sidewalls, heavy tire. I love them. An aggressive all terrain tire. 20220113_094951.jpg

transalper

Explorer
duratracs

Pros
come in C rating
looks great
ride nice

cons
-noisy after 50k miles

More pros
I like my Duratracs in the snow and ice.
Decent wear.
Good Minnesota tire.

Big con
Weak sidewalls. Mine have many cuts and gouges when wheeling in rocky terrain (eg some passes in CO).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles