Aftermarket/Third Party tarp/tent/awning poles

SFP

I am getting ready for my first back country trip of the year, hoping to head out on February 17 and back mid afternoon on Monday the 21. heading up Port Renfrew way on Vancouver Island.

While going through my gear I notice that the trusty Coleman adjustable poles I have been using for over twenty years have pretty much given up the ghost.

I decided I would search Google and Amazon as well as my regular places I source gear from (MEC, Taiga REI, Canadian Tire, Capital Iron, etc). For the most part the Coleman seems to be the go to.

I appreciate 7075 aluminum, titanium and carbon fiber - and hell tech has come a long way since I went looking for a set of poles.

I keep coming across stuff that is three, four and fives times the price of the trusty old Coleman one's. But reviews are not great on any of them. They leak/not great in rain, the plastic pieces brake, locking/unlocking systems fail, cheaper grade aluminum snaps/breaks in wind, etc.

example:
The machinist in me wants to build a kick-****** set, but I don't have easy access to a lathe and such these days, and well raw materials are not cheap these days either. (anyone buy lumber lately?)

I figure, I'd ask you experts what you recommend these days?

I need two, but eventually will grab four. The tarp(s) in question are a 10' by 10', an 8' by 8' and 10' by 8' - most times I tie off to a couple of trees but one doesn't always have trees to tie to. Yes I can tie to my roof rack, but I would rather not. Whatever brand they have to be able to handle rain, and by rain I mean Pacific Northwest rain (aka it may rain for ten days straight). They have to be able to handle wind gusts. A travel bag is handy but no required. Sturdy is way more important. Sometime I use the tarp as an extra layer above the ground tent, other times as a place to sit outside with some rain protection, other times I set up the tarp as a rain shade over the cooking/prep/eating area.

Yes I have thought of a mounted awning on my truck but heck have lived all these years without one, so can't justify the cost at this time. Yes I have seen the how-to's to make a custom set (and may end up going that way yet).

Do I just grab a set of the Coleman's and soak 'em down in machine oil/wax to protect them from the elements (has worked for years but ya can be a tad messy and sand and grim suck)?

Thanks in advance folks.
Scott

SFP

The Garden V Pro poles appear to have good reviews, a lifetime warranty but I can't find much about the actual company. Anyone ever use these?

Garden V PRO Adjustable Aluminum Tarp Poles - Set of 2 | Replacement Canopy Telescoping Rods | Portable Lightweight for Tent Fly Awning

Garden V Pro - 2 Pole Set

pith helmet

These are pretty heavy duty and inexpensive. Also heavy.
No bag so I put them in an old folding chair bag.
CD37FCAB-2C0B-48AD-A464-8139B533795D.jpeg0CA1BDA9-653A-45EA-9F3C-1F5592DFC521.jpeg

SFP

Garden V and Green Elephant have same rating in US.

I bought these in 2015 and they are still working well.

Sorry, am just getting the Amazon "logo"... no links.

Would you mind posting the name?

ITTOG

Sorry, am just getting the Amazon "logo"... no links.

Would you mind posting the name?
Green Elephant Telescoping Tarp Poles | Adjustable Tent Poles for Tarp Set of 2 | Portable & Lightweight Aluminum Tent Poles Replacement

Reactions: SFP

TwinStick

Explorer
I just watched a great YouTube video of someone who took bed sheets and made them 100% waterproof. I was impressed. Lightweight too. He used a 3:1 ratio of Naptha & 1 whole tube of 100% silicone caulking. Dissolve the silicone into the Naptha in a non-reactive container, soak the sheet in it good, so it covers 100% of sheet, then let air dry on a clothesline.

pith helmet

I just watched a great YouTube video of someone who took bed sheets and made them 100% waterproof. I was impressed. Lightweight too. He used a 3:1 ratio of Naptha & 1 whole tube of 100% silicone caulking. Dissolve the silicone into the Naptha in a non-reactive container, soak the sheet in it good, so it covers 100% of sheet, then let air dry on a clothesline.
Now that is interesting. Please post a link sometime if you don’t mind.

JPOVS

Cooke Custom Sewing in MN makes some quality tarps made specifically for canoeing in BWCA. They also sell some high quality Easton poles.

They also make tarps with roll-up bug screen sides too. I have one of these in the 10x10 multicolor for more cheer on those gray rainy overcast days.

If Cooke Custom Sewing is more than your looking for, another company I have bought from is Borah Gear. They make some decent tarps for backpacking use. I have used them with my overland setup from time to time. Definitely not as well built or feature rich as CCS, but still a dang good product.

SFP

Cooke Custom Sewing in MN makes some quality tarps made specifically for canoeing in BWCA. They also sell some high quality Easton poles.

Thanks.

I knew someone out there had to be making a quality pole for a reasonable price.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles