Aftermarket Isuzu Dash Switches?

steve66

Observer
Hi All,

Anyone come across a source for dash switches that fit the NPS?

Have looked at heaps but all are too big, while I can make the usual Carling type fit with a bit of adjustment they 'still stick out like the ar*e end of a wombat' so hoping someone has a solution.

Cheers Steve

Tourboy

Observer
Try toowooma truck wreckers or zebra wreckers in Gracemere for 2nd hand switches both good to deal with

steve66

Observer
Sorry Guys, I use home and work computers and accidentally ended up with 2 different profiles, I will cease this one and just use NTSteve, that says Darwin.

Besides, didn't Wombat give it away :)

cameron_a

Observer
buy part # 1884345750 from your lcoal isuzu dealer.
comes with a push on/off switch w/ a small pilot lamp, and plug/short amount of loom kit
fits all blank switch positions (left and right of you instrument binnacle and down by the lighter socket on an NPS). aside of getting a switch from a wreck these are the only ones that fit, look nice, and stay put in the dash of isuzus.

pics show what you get if you order that number, and the face of the switch. the little stripe at the lower end of the switch is the pilot lamp part.
apologies for hilariously large pics
http://iforce.co.nz/i/nn1imgmx.1i0.jpg
http://iforce.co.nz/i/kwgiy52j.qxh.jpg

NTSteve

Fwiw, I visited my Isuzu dealer yesterday and threw them that part number, nothing in stock locally but available ex melb, the switch and harness (above p/n) is $42 or just the switch is $24, I ordered 5 switches and will make my own connectors.

Narva produce a pack of labels ( white writing on clear) that I plan on using to dress them up.

cheers steve

cameron_a

Observer
nice!
substantially more expensive in NZ. always the way eh.
I guess the connector is merely a conjoined bunch of spade terminals.

clydeps

Well, 5 years later there are still no aftermarket dash switches for the NPS - but with a little ingenuity, I got very close to an OEM look, complete with illumination, and with an extensive choice of labels. And they're relatively cheap. More details to follow.

2021-12-01 14.18.43_copy_756x1008.jpg

clydeps

So the switches are the Stedi "tall Toyota" range - https://www.stedi.com.au/rocker-switches/toyota-switches/tall-toyota.html

These are push-push switches, not rocker.

They are about the right height, slightly narrower than the Isuzu switches. As standard they do not clip into the hole, and would be recessed if they did. So I removed the mounting clips with a Dremel, then slid on a 3D printed collar that positions it correctly in the hole and clips in firmly. The switches have a connector and wiring harness which is nice - much better than spade terminals.

The next problem is voltage - these switches are intended for 12V systems. The switch part works fine on 24V, and the LEDs do work ok on 24V, but are quite bright. So the solution to that is to take the switch ground wire (which is only used for the illumination) to vehicle ground via a 12V zener diode. This results in around 12V supplying the LEDs. I also put a series resistor in the dash illumination wire to reduce the backlighting brightness further. Can't do much more with the active LED (though a 15V zener instead of 12 might work well.)

The LED colour is blue, which doesn't match the stock Isuzu switches, but you can't have everything.

Images are the original switch, with clips removed, then with collar added.

2021-11-30 17.11.23_copy_885x733.jpg
2021-11-30 17.14.02_copy_853x632.jpg
2021-11-30 20.22.24_copy_1033x669.jpg

clydeps

Wiring diagram and 3d model for the switch adapter attached. I've now added air compressor and diff lock switches to my truck.

2021-12-09 14.33.21.jpg
Switch adapter v4.png

Attachments

• Stedi toyota switch wiring for 24V.pdf
    21 KB · Views: 8
  • switchadapter.zip
    7.9 KB · Views: 8

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
You've done a nice job there, but I have to admit, I am not a big fan of these aftermarket style switches, as there is a lot of light bleed around the edges from the LEDs, which for me is just a case of poor design.
It's not like switch companies could not make a better switch, as most of the OEM style switches do not suffer from the same issue.

Ultimark

Talk about topical; today I dropped into my local Isuzu truck dealer to purchase a dashboard switch.

The current part number is 1-88434575-0 which is for a switch and harness set. Push type and illuminated.

The toggle format version is 188434576-0 and is non illuminated.

The kit compromises of a push switch, 1-88434557-0 and the wiring harness (push type) 1-82625404-0

Cost in AUD $61.60 including GST for the complete kit.

I have a copy of the service bulletin release, dated 26th August 2005 of the release of the much awaited "Multi Purpose Switches" (and looms) for the F and Giga Series. Apparently the N series followed on a slightly later date.

I looked around at some aftermarket switches and no matter where I went, the fit was not quite right, either too tight, too loose or too deep and would stick out like a sore thumb. As this is an infinitesimal cost for what I'm adding, it doesn't matter.

Forgot to mention, it's a switch for an NPS 75-155.

clydeps

there is a lot of light bleed around the edges from the LEDs
It looks worse in the image than it does in reality. One problem is that because the NPS has no dash light dimmer, the LEDs are too bright even at 12V (they're basically running at full brightness, which in a more sophisticated vehicle you would never do) so I think I will change the zener and/or the resistors to dim the LEDs further. That will also reduce the bleed, though even now I don't find it a problem - I hadn't really noticed it until I took the pics.

It's not like switch companies could not make a better switch, as most of the OEM style switches do not suffer from the same issue
Agreed, though the OEM switches are several times the price. I'd still pay that if they were available in a choice of legends.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz