After a few years of wanting, I Finally got my Discovery!!!! Meet Suzie

Bhutchens

I can't tell, is it a 94-95 or a 96?[/QUOTE]

The truck is a 95. I was actually wanting a newer model year in the beginning of my search, but I'm glad I didn't get one. These older ones appear to be thousands of times more simplistic, with less computerized controls. The typically highly computerized later year discovery almost had me going for an old FJ; so far, I'm very glad that I did not.
Love the idea of throwing some OME springs in the rear...will definitely be going this route, rather than spacers. I'm glad you mentioned this.

I'm sure there will be some Youtube videos on checking vacuum lines for the Cruise control

XJLI

Adventurer
- Pull the steel radiator and have it rodded and cleaned. Flush cooling system and replace thermostat

- Flush brake system

- Change transmission, transfer case fluids and diff fluids

- Grease all u-joints

- Pull wheels and check brakes and bearing adjustment. Check swivels and fill with LR swivel ball grease. Then watch for grease leaking out between swivel balls and seals.

This. x100. Get some gauges on it, and monitor the water temp like a hawk. As for lifting and whatever, idk what your Monty was set up like or the trails you do, but I'm pretty happy with running a slightly upsized tire (245/75-16) and no lift on my 95. The gearing is insane, the truck impresses me every time I wheel it. I drive mine every day, and it has done a good job of nickel and dime-ing me this year, but the first 8-10 months I had it I barely touched it. Coming from a heavily modified Jeep, the "always broken, never broken down" thing is not something new.

With cruise control, it could be a few things. It's on my list of things to do eventually. Check out this link:
http://discoweb.org/forums/showthread.php?t=90799

Bhutchens

My monty was s stock, completely, with 31s on it. I'm definitely not wanting a lot of lift.

I'm definitely purchasing the ultra gauge, in in fact, that'll probably be first.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

fishEH

Explorer
Don't bother with the UltraGauge as I'm pretty sure it doesn't work on OBDI trucks.
And there's really nothing wrong with spring spacers for a truck that sees a majority of road driving. You can make spacers for next to nothing. I say save the spring money to get some good shocks as your stock ones are probably cashed. I like the yellow and blue Bilsteins on my modestly lifted primarily street driven D1.

My monty was s stock, completely, with 31s on it. I'm definitely not wanting a lot of lift.

I'm definitely purchasing the ultra gauge, in in fact, that'll probably be first.

XJLI

Adventurer
If it is a 95 (it has 96 rear lights and badging, but so does Scott brady's 95) the ultra gauge won't work. I have a triple gauge pod on top of my dash.

Bhutchens

If it is a 95 (it has 96 rear lights and badging, but so does Scott brady's 95) the ultra gauge won't work. I have a triple gauge pod on top of my dash.

Thanks, y'all. Saved me $80. Besides water and temp, which other gauges woujld you recommend? Battery?

XJLI

Adventurer
Thanks, y'all. Saved me $80. Besides water and temp, which other gauges woujld you recommend? Battery?

I have water temp, oil pressure and trans temp in my gauge pod and a digital volt meter where the factory clock goes.

Cobra_R

Adventurer
Nice, congrats!! I've been talking about getting a disco for a few years and finally got one a few weeks ago. I love it!! Needs a little work but not much, and I'm slowly fixing things as I go.

Bhutchens

Nice, congrats!! I've been talking about getting a disco for a few years and finally got one a few weeks ago. I love it!! Needs a little work but not much, and I'm slowly fixing things as I go.

I had talked about it years before I pulled the trigger, too. Hell, I've even built most of the truck in my head already, long before I actually made the purchase. LOL

Now I'm wishing I lived across the street from Big Bend. But I have quite a bit of work to do before making that trip out.

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
Do serious maintenance- wheel bearings, flush tcase and tranny, replace cooling system, flush diffs, etc- a solid baseline will outperform all add one. Not as sexy of course, but she can be super reliable if baselines completely
Enjoy!! And when it seems expensive doing the above, remember you just got a Defender for .10 on the dollar ;-)

mpinco

Expedition Leader
Some clarity on cooling system. The radiator is old style, not plastic end caps with metal cooling fins/rods. Therefore it can be removed, disassembled, rodded, reassembled/soldered and painted. As a minimum I would pull radiator, have a good shop service it, flush cooling system, replace thermostat and also replace the plastic plug on top of radiator with a brass one. Done.

Also check hoses for age and valley pan for leaks. If's in the budget, replace hoses but I would service the radiator first.

DividingCreek

Explorer
Some clarity on cooling system. The radiator is old style, not plastic end caps with metal cooling fins/rods. Therefore it can be removed, disassembled, rodded, reassembled/soldered and painted. As a minimum I would pull radiator, have a good shop service it, flush cooling system, replace thermostat and also replace the plastic plug on top of radiator with a brass one. Done.

Also check hoses for age and valley pan for leaks. If's in the budget, replace hoses but I would service the radiator first.

Yep and they aren't steel as mentioned earlier, brass and copper.
My daughter has a white 94 7 seat with rear a/c. Picked it up for $700 because 1 cyl had 60psi. Did the heads, 2 inch old man emu lift and 235/85's on white RRC lwb wheels.
The redneck in me thinks that's a great /safe car for a teenage girl. The child scored lower than I did on the Rovers North RTV course @ MAR but I was in a 110 and she was in a 100 inch disco, that's my story and I'm sticking with it.
Congratulations to the OP.

Last edited:

Bhutchens

Excellent. Thanks. I'm still enjoying the hell out of her. We just had 8"of rain in dallas and she loved the mud.

What are you guys getting in a tank? I of course wasn't expecting great millage, but I have a fairly light foot and got 275 out of the first tank.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles