After a few years of wanting, I Finally got my Discovery!!!! Meet Suzie

Bhutchens

Well, I've finally pulled the trigger and got my Discovery, "Suzie". It's nothing much right now, and it needs a bit of work here and there. Headliner is pulling down a bit, the motor on the sunroofs are out (but they don't leak!!). Engine and trans are solid, with 138,xxx miles on it. Cruise control is non-functional, and that'll have to be fixed, because I use the heck out of that. Couple of the smaller switches don't work, but nothing too bad.

A/c works beautifully...for about 20 minutes. Then it begins pumping out lukewarm air; if anyone knows what could be a fix for that, I'd love to hear ideas on fixing it. I'm ok w/o AC; the wife and kids get pretty cranky when hot.

Seats are in pretty darn good condition. No rips or tears anywhere, even though they are definitely worn on the passenger side.

The bonus? I got a complete, with motor and transmission, parts vehicle that's a twin in everything but the sunroofs thrown in on the deal. So I plan on pulling parts off of it for spares, and then selling the remainder. Got both as a package deal for $1500 here in the Dallas Metro. And in the week that I've owned it, it's already become my favorite vehicle that I've owned...and that's quite a lot to say that it passed my 94 Montero, because that baby got me everywhere I asked her to go, and the only vehicle I've owned where I'd bet my life on her ability to start up, and get me back home.

20151012_192735.jpg

20151012_204734.jpg

20151012_204745.jpg

20151012_204806.jpg

20151012_204546.jpg

My plans aren't too terribly ambitious, and due to budgetary constraints, will take quite a while.

I want to raise her between 2 and 4 inches, probably with a combination of suspension and body.
I want a winch
Snorkel
Aux Battery system in the trunk, with a homemade drawer system that will, when the seats are laid down, double as a bed
Safari rack
Hot water shower system----haven't figured out yet if I will do this via a pvc setup attached to the roof rack, or hav an actual tank
35L fridge
And I'm sure this list will increase as time goes by.

Thanks y'all. I look forward to making her into an unstoppable force in the dirt and mud of any backcountry place that I can find, on purpose or otherwise.

Attachments

• 20151012_192735.jpg
    20151012_192735.jpg
    518.3 KB · Views: 73

Bhutchens

Thanks! I can't wait to get further into it! Gonna start pulling parts off the parts car this weekend to begin funding my additions.

Bhutchens

Thanks, me too! It hides scratches from the brush much better than some of the other colors, otherwise I'd have wanted the green.

mpinco

Expedition Leader
Welcome. You will enjoy the Disco.

Skip the upgrades for now, get out and use the truck, bring all maintenance up to date and then add stuff as needed.

Bhutchens

Skip the upgrades for now, get out and use the truck, bring all maintenance up to date and then add stuff as needed.

I took her out for some light off road driving today, and she performed beautifully.

Did oil, air, and fuel filter this weekend. Also added a power outlet with some USB, as the cigarette port didn't work. Unfortunately, I don't have maint. records to know what has been done and what hasn't. Any other recommendations??

vasily

Adventurer

^^^^ exactly. Enjoy it and make sure you can enjoy it for a long time to come. All the upgrades are secondary.

- One life. Live it.

Bhutchens

^^^^ exactly. Enjoy it and make sure you can enjoy it for a long time to come. All the upgrades are secondary.

- One life. Live it.

The upgrades are definitely down the road. I live paycheck to paycheck. So maintenance will be absolutely crucial with me, because I cannot hardly afford a catastrophic failure because I was stupid and didn't perform preventative maintenance. My "wish list" above is something within probably the next 5 years or so...so it's a very long term list. The ONLY thing I may do, short term, is some spring spacers (cheap), an ultraguage (I've seen many posts about them on here and people seem to swear by them) and getting rid of the anti-sway bars (free). I'm not in a rush whatsoever. The place I took it today had some pretty severe ruts larger than most I'd encounter around here, and she performed beautifully stock

mpinco

Expedition Leader
- Pull the steel radiator and have it rodded and cleaned. Flush cooling system and replace thermostat

- Flush brake system

- Change transmission, transfer case fluids and diff fluids

- Grease all u-joints

- Pull wheels and check brakes and bearing adjustment. Check swivels and fill with LR swivel ball grease. Then watch for grease leaking out between swivel balls and seals.

evilfij

Explorer
Spacers are dumb. If you want cheap, put the rear springs up front and fit Old Man Emu MD springs in the rear. Good for 1.5-2in lift. Used OME medium springs are maybe $125 a pair. Then you can run 235 85 R16 tires on the stock wheels with a very small amount of trimming or bending. 245 75 R16 and basically no trimming or 265 75 R16 if you want a wider look. Skip the body lift.

Fluids check everything and, better yet, change everything. Make sure to check the swivel balls and fill with the recommended grease if they do not have it. Especially change the brake fluid (Castro GTLMA). Window lift ECU resolder. Vacuum lines will fix the cruise. Clean the AC drains so water does not build up in the footwell. Check the charge, it may just be low. Might also be a shim the compressor to fix scenario.

I can't tell, is it a 94-95 or a 96?

adelatoa

Adventurer
Congrats. I was given a 97 DI and I've cleaned the heck out of it and got it running and the owner that gifted it wants it back. It's probably going back I like the difference in drive style from my RRC classic and my P38. It's fun to feel the different eras of engineering from LR.

As for the AC I would start by disassembling all the switches and removing all the dried up dialectic grease. That fixed my rear AC and other electrical issues. The dielectric grease is 70-80 percent of your chance that it's the culprit. Good luck. And just enjoy the simplicity of the systems in comparison to DII and P38's

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke