AEV RAM At Sema.

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Each one of us could find something different to pick it apart but I see it as an AEV design exercise to keep enthusiast interest in AEV’s upcoming RAM products. Given it is taking them so long to bring their RAM products to market they probably needed to build something completely different than status quo to remind people they haven’t fallen asleep on the RAM offerngs. You must admit, this truck is an attention getter!

Ute Trays have served explorers in other parts of the world perfectly for decades. There’re some really neat accessories that can be added to a Ute Tray to make them really versatile for back country travel. But, here in North America we have these neat things called popup campers to help keep us warm and comfy with all the amenities of home. Plus, a Ute tray sits on a riser about 10” above the frame which would drive up the center of gravity if a camper was nestled on top. I personally don’t feel adding a popup to a Ute Tray mounted on risers, or any flatbed for that matter, is a good idea.

Personally, I think the truck looks great the way it is although if I could have one I would be a 3500 with rear leaf spring suspension, Aisin automatic (I am soo sick of shifting manual transmissions!) and a manual transfercase. The only part of AEV’s latest concept that I think is idiotic is the fact whoever at AEV spec’d the chassis for this concept spec’d a truly manly manual transmission then opted for the soft palm flitboy electric shift transfercase. I really never understood why Chrysler (And Ford) ever offered an electric shift transfercase mated to a manual transmission on their full-size trucks. Outside of the little S10’s and Colorado’s, GM never packaged a manual trans to an electric transfercase on full-size trucks. Their idea was that if the owner wanted to stir their own gears they would naturally want to stir up their own transfercase as well. Makes sense to me….not sure why Chrysler and Ford think differently on packaging those two contradictory components together.

coastal616

Adventurer
attachment.php

I kinda like it...reminds me of something...lol

sdwhipkey

Observer
The only part of AEV's latest concept that I think is idiotic is the fact whoever at AEV spec'd the chassis for this concept spec'd a truly manly manual transmission then opted for the soft palm flitboy electric shift transfercase.

Probably because the only way to get the manual transfer case is in an ST/Tradesman or a Power Wagon. I don't think they started with a base model truck.

Mr. Leary

Glamping Excursionaire
I have a tradesman, manual t case shifter is a requirement after having to take apart transfer cases that got stuck in 4lo.

That is one kewl looking pickup.

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Probably because the only way to get the manual transfer case is in an ST/Tradesman or a Power Wagon. I don't think they started with a base model truck.

The interior pictures floating around Facebook look to be a Tradesman but even at that, RAM offers the electric crap as a free flow option even on Tradesman models where most greedy dealers check the box for that option to drive up the cost of the truck. I still think it is a stupid contradictory package for manufacturers to even offer a manual trans with a pansy electric shift range box. The crew cab RAM from last year was indeed a high level Laramie with the full length console, which requires pansy shift. I guess some city slickers like that garbage.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
My new truck came with the electronic shift t-case and I'm not thrilled about it, but I could not find one without. If I ordered a '15 and waited 3 months, and paid $3000 more, I could have got one. If it ever gives me grief, I can likely convert this to a manual for a whole bunch less than $3k.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
I have the tradesman, with elec. t-case. I couldn't find a 2014 the way I wanted without it, and I was only looking at tradesman models.

Clutch

<---Pass
AEV missed with this one IMO. And im usually a fan.

I like it, not too many regular cabs built up anymore...my version would be the long wheel base with a 8-10' flat bed, and toss some tool boxes on the side under the bed.

I saw it first thing this morning and while it's a neat build, I prefer a regular bed on a pickup as well.

Come to Idaho...flat beds everywhere. Super versatile, easy to load materials, gear and whatnot.

037.jpg

Last edited:

mdmead

Adventurer
The only part of AEV’s latest concept that I think is idiotic is the fact whoever at AEV spec’d the chassis for this concept spec’d a truly manly manual transmission then opted for the soft palm flitboy electric shift transfercase. I really never understood why Chrysler (And Ford) ever offered an electric shift transfercase mated to a manual transmission on their full-size trucks.

Funny! I have an F-250 with a 5 speed manual and the electric switch transfer case... and honestly, I never even thought about it. I guess the electric part is a potential failure point.... but in the 13 years I've had it, my only grief has come from the auto hubs... which on the Ford have a manual override.

David Harris

Expedition Leader
I don't know how you can hate on it. Its great to see a major aftermarket manufacturer focusing on pure off road ability and utility versus 26" wheels and bling.

It shares the same basic layout as this...
images

Except that the Unimog will eat it for lunch and dinner off road. No comparison in performance levels. Besides that, the main problem with both is that their size severely limits where they can travel off road.

Clutch

<---Pass
Except that the Unimog will eat it for lunch and dinner off road. No comparison in performance levels. Besides that, the main problem with both is that their size severely limits where they can travel off road.

Jump on the highway and the Ram will cruise 80 easy...Ram will make for a better all-arounder truck...both look like Canada/Alaska oil exploration work trucks to me. So it all depends what you mean by "off-road" There are some place where a skinny tired Jeep CJ-3 would be a disadvantage.

Like anything, different tools for different jobs.

Bullsnake

Adventurer
Clutch - do you have a specific MFG for that flat bed? That is exactly what I am looking for on one of our farm rigs that we haul a four wheeler around on to check cattle with! Any help would be greatly appreciated, no one around here is building anything like that with a slot for a ramp.

HRT Offroad

Suspension Guy
Clutch, I've always wanted a flatdeck like that on my rig for winter sled hauling! Unfortunately it wouldn't serve me well for my warm season use. Looks AWESOME!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles