AEV Prospector

bigskypylot

Explorer
Just curious as to what people's thoughts on these are? I'm more of a Ford loyalist than anything but open to the AEV Prospector/XL 2500 or 3500. I'd like to put a camper on the back with a Dualsport carrier eventually. Any input would be appreciated. It would be mostly used for overlanding and hunting out West. Thanks for the input!

Seth

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Are you dreaming or really considering spending that kind of coin on a truck? I kinda like the new Fords and the fact that you can get a rear e-locker from the factory.

Clutch

<---Pass
Isn't the Prospector just a dealer installed, winch bumper, snorkel, suspension and wheels? I see a bunch of them at the Dennis Dillon dealer down the road from me.

If you're a Ford guy, you could build your own Blue Oval version of the AEV.

The 2500 Ram has a fairly low payload, IIRC

bigskypylot

Explorer
Are you dreaming or really considering spending that kind of coin on a truck? I kinda like the new Fords and the fact that you can get a rear e-locker from the factory.

I'm contemplating, but like you said... that's a lot of coin. I really would rather have a Ford, maybe a year or two old and upgrade from there. Either way, I will lock the front and rear with ARB most likely. I like the Coilover Conversions for the SuperDuty from Icon

p nut

butter
I'm contemplating, but like you said... that's a lot of coin. I really would rather have a Ford, maybe a year or two old and upgrade from there. Either way, I will lock the front and rear with ARB most likely. I like the Coilover Conversions for the SuperDuty from Icon

AEV makes some nice stuff. I wouldn't mind owning one, but definitely wouldn't shell out that much money. If anything, something like a Tradesman 2500/3500 would get the job done just as well.
_
I am intrigued by the new aluminum F250's, though. I'll wait for a couple of years to see how it fairs and maybe trade up from my F150. Pending what gas prices do.

bigskypylot

Explorer
AEV makes some nice stuff. I wouldn't mind owning one, but definitely wouldn't shell out that much money. If anything, something like a Tradesman 2500/3500 would get the job done just as well.
_
I am intrigued by the new aluminum F250's, though. I'll wait for a couple of years to see how it fairs and maybe trade up from my F150. Pending what gas prices do.

I'm taking the wait-and-see approach as well. I have always heard about (Chrysler/Doge/RAM) quality and reliability (not Cummins) but the rest of the truck. I know that can be said about any brand. Just luck of the draw why some get a problematic vehicle while the next one has been trouble-free. I would prefer an F250/350 over anything in the end.

p nut

butter
I've heard mixed reviews on Dodge reliability, but same with Ford/Chevy as well. Stellar MPG without having to go diesel was what brought me over to the Ford camp. Impressed with this little ecoboost engine. Hope that new 10-speed transmission holds up well.

JPR4LFE

Adventurer
I think the big selling point with AEV factory builds is that it is completely thought through product that is assembled in a factory, with a stamped serial number, warranty, financing, and with little sacrifice to day to day use, with fit and finish that is OEM. It is a package that anyone around the country can buy without knowing a 'guy' who assembles aftermarket components or having that skill themselves. Could one research a bunch of different parts and assemble it themselves for a lot less cash? For sure. Will it void warranty on a 2016 truck? Likely? Do all of the components work together? either you did your research or hope the guy assembling you truck has done their research. For some people, putting together the components for their specific needs is part of the fun, and others could care less about that aspect and just want a product that works. There is a place for this kind of product, but likely not for the masses.

bigskypylot

Explorer
I think the big selling point with AEV factory builds is that it is completely thought through product that is assembled in a factory, with a stamped serial number, warranty, financing, and with little sacrifice to day to day use, with fit and finish that is OEM. It is a package that anyone around the country can buy without knowing a 'guy' who assembles aftermarket components or having that skill themselves. Could one research a bunch of different parts and assemble it themselves for a lot less cash? For sure. Will it void warranty on a 2016 truck? Likely? Do all of the components work together? either you did your research or hope the guy assembling you truck has done their research. For some people, putting together the components for their specific needs is part of the fun, and others could care less about that aspect and just want a product that works. There is a place for this kind of product, but likely not for the masses.

That's what I was thinking as well. Good points!

bigskypylot

Explorer
I've heard mixed reviews on Dodge reliability, but same with Ford/Chevy as well. Stellar MPG without having to go diesel was what brought me over to the Ford camp. Impressed with this little ecoboost engine. Hope that new 10-speed transmission holds up well.

The Ecoboost F150 is a nice truck. Have a couple friends that have them. My buddy who's been a Master Tech or whatever you call it for FoMoCo for going on 30 yrs has an F150 with the Coyote, loves it and gets decent mpgs as well. I asked him about the EB and he said it's a great engine but he sure wouldn't own one outside of warranty.

TwinStick

Explorer
All that coin & they are "researching whether lockers would be offered" for the Prospector XL. Lift, 40" tires, bumper/s winch, raised air intake & no lockers ? Not sure what they were thinking there. I bought my truck because it has lockers. The flex is nice too. Love the G-56 Hemi.

2008 Dodge Power Wagon.

js9234

Observer
Maybe it's a reliability/warranty issue. Your Power Wagon doesn't have near the torque or weight as a Cummins Prospector. I'm sure they have their reason.

jackattack

Observer
Will it void warranty on a 2016 truck? Likely?

I'm sorry, how does swapping a bumper, new wheels/tires and a suspension upgrade void the warranty on a new vehicle? If there is a warranty claim, the manufacturer has to prove that the modifications you made contributed directly to the issue to void the claim.

Maybe it's a reliability/warranty issue. Your Power Wagon doesn't have near the torque or weight as a Cummins Prospector. I'm sure they have their reason.

6.7 powerstroke has similar hp/torque and has an available rear e-locker.

js9234

Observer
The Ram has a rear limited slip which works very well. I would assume the front could be a problem because of the weight and torque. I would love to have front and rear lockers. I haven't heard of very many people at all putting E-lockers in the front of a newer Diesel of any brand.

JPR4LFE

Adventurer
I'm sorry, how does swapping a bumper, new wheels/tires and a suspension upgrade void the warranty on a new vehicle? If there is a warranty claim, the manufacturer has to prove that the modifications you made contributed directly to the issue to void the claim.

If you have a good dealership hopefully they don't. But I have definitely heard horror stories of dealerships claiming that warranty is voided for suspension lifts, etc. 40inch tires are definitely going to put extra stress on stock parts as are increased driveline angles. I am not the target customer for the Prospector, but if I was buying a $40K-60K truck off the lot and adding aftermarket components to it, I would be damn sure my warranty wasn't voided by doing so. Again, not the market I fit into.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94