AEV Prospector XL Flatbed Adventure Rig

pdxfrogdog

Adventurer
Awesome build. I'm starting to plan for a Fullsize / Flatbed / Hawk build in about three years and have bookmarked your thread for inspiration.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I'm not a flat bed or camper guy....but this truck is awesome. Thank you for posting the thread.

ttengineer

Adventurer
Saw this on IG a few weeks ago. Needless to say I went from 6 to 12 fast.

1f64f029dc2ac039522ebbdaeaede463.plist
19e2832dad2aeef658a9f0e4711824f9.jpg
21ed349ccc5112afe208f0940defa36f.jpg
cea9388c2ef9378ef50810cc2b9cc257.plist

e53c7aa53d00736e72893bee1436c6d1.plist
16e5c3f28199eaa8db8c576871d46854.plist
24be3cfc0ddf6212fb03831fc68973a5.plist

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Looks like you bought your FWC Hawk flatbed model from Mule in Tualatin. How did that experience go with Jeff/crew? Anything you'd spec differently on your Hawk if you were to do it again?

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
A guy on Facebook posted this the other day too.

4e98713986b5a26bbd5eb0034654aa25.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks rad, but the thick deck height of the PCOR really produces a large gap between top of cab and bottom of FWC cabover overhang; higher COG as well.
I wonder what he's planning on putting on the roof rack. Doesn't look like much height between the top of it and bottom of FWC. Maybe some Maxtrax and axe/shovel.

ttengineer

Adventurer
Looks rad, but the thick deck height of the PCOR really produces a large gap between top of cab and bottom of FWC cabover overhang; higher COG as well.
I wonder what he's planning on putting on the roof rack. Doesn't look like much height between the top of it and bottom of FWC. Maybe some Maxtrax and axe/shovel.

Probably there for when he’s running sans camper.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Probably there for when he’s running sans camper.

Agreed, but why not get an Alumline/Ute/AT/Norweld(still a bit high) where the camper would sit lower? Be curious to hear why he went PCOR.

Last edited:

con kso

Adventurer
YES! Absolutely love Reg. Cab. flatbeds - yours is UNREAL and looks so cool. The short wheel base makes them so much more nimble than the big CC versions - I had a 2003 7.3 CC LB and that thing was HUGE.

I've got an F350 with Hawk and have done 30k Baja miles with it (truck isn't daily driver, it's just for fun trips) and have not found myself wanting more or different in all of those trips. I did some things different than yours, here are my reasons.

1. Gas Engine: can buy gas from fishermen out of barrels, no worry about emissions, no worry about limp-home mode, no worry about ULSD, no more carrying CPS in my glovebox with 10mm wrench (7.3 anyone?), 10.8 mpg... hahahaha, who cares?

2. Smaller tires: Easier to find/buy replacement in Baja for my size, no regear, spare fits in OEM under bed space, no extra strain on driveline... haven't been limited where I go by tire size so I'll run 'em... downside: doesn't look cool but then again, have you seen me?

3. Underbody storage + 6' rear drawer - I like the extra storage but I will admit, if those things get crushed or dinged they're going to be god-awful expensive to repair or replace. Rear drawer has stainless top that doubles a camp table carries all my fly fishing gear.

4. Cross body box on mine holds an extra 30gallons of water (50 gallon total water capacity on rig) and additional ARB refer. if my friends want a beer I don't want them climbing in and out of my living space/swank pad.
Screen Shot 2020-01-19 at 8.58.59 AM.png
Someday I just want a reg cab flatbed for just around town - I totally dig 'em.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
YES! Absolutely love Reg. Cab. flatbeds - yours is UNREAL and looks so cool. The short wheel base makes them so much more nimble than the big CC versions - I had a 2003 7.3 CC LB and that thing was HUGE.

I've got an F350 with Hawk and have done 30k Baja miles with it (truck isn't daily driver, it's just for fun trips) and have not found myself wanting more or different in all of those trips. I did some things different than yours, here are my reasons.

1. Gas Engine: can buy gas from fishermen out of barrels, no worry about emissions, no worry about limp-home mode, no worry about ULSD, no more carrying CPS in my glovebox with 10mm wrench (7.3 anyone?), 10.8 mpg... hahahaha, who cares?

2. Smaller tires: Easier to find/buy replacement in Baja for my size, no regear, spare fits in OEM under bed space, no extra strain on driveline... haven't been limited where I go by tire size so I'll run 'em... downside: doesn't look cool but then again, have you seen me?

3. Underbody storage + 6' rear drawer - I like the extra storage but I will admit, if those things get crushed or dinged they're going to be god-awful expensive to repair or replace. Rear drawer has stainless top that doubles a camp table carries all my fly fishing gear.

4. Cross body box on mine holds an extra 30gallons of water (50 gallon total water capacity on rig) and additional ARB refer. if my friends want a beer I don't want them climbing in and out of my living space/swank pad.
View attachment 562366

Sweetness! Sorry to take it off the RAM topic, but I'm building the same as you. Who built your flatbed/boxes? Was thinking maybe Alumline but doesn't look like the storage box handles they use. What susp are you running? 33" tires?

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183

View attachment 562366

Dang... They let any hoodlums here in here.... ? ? ?

What's your wheelbase sir?

con kso

Adventurer
Sweetness! Sorry to take it off the RAM topic, but I'm building the same as you. Who built your flatbed/boxes? Was thinking maybe Alumline but doesn't look like the storage box handles they use. What susp are you running? 33" tires?
I got my flatbed built by XPCamper probably one of the few completed before they went out of business. I like the looks of the Norweld trays or the flatbeds made by Adventure Trailer in Prescott. At the time, XP was able to give me everything that I wanted - especially the 6' slide out storage drawer out the back. That flatbed was stupid expensive but I did get it made how I wanted.

As for suspension, I bought a new 4x4 F350 with locking rear diff., I got the camper and flatbed installed and then took it to Deaver Springs and had them build a spring pack for it. I also have airbags on it. Here's how it works: On pavement, I air up the bags - crazy how good this thing handles with pumped up airbags - no body sway, it rails turns. Off road, 5psi in airbags and I let the heavier spring pack do its job. The Deaver guys told me I don't even need the airbags but I like having them for when I load a moto on the back - I can fine tune the ride. I also had a local suspension company trade out the front springs for something a little less harsh (the F350 front springs are brutal) and switched all of my shocks to Bilsteins. I've used Bilsteins before and they offer good performance for the money - I guess if you've GOT to go 60mph down a dirt road you might want some big fancy shocks etc. but I've been driving down south long enough to know that slow is safe, and safe means you're ******** isn't breaking and when your stuffs not breaking you're having more fun (that being said, Baja will break everything so you better be resourceful enough to know how to get it fix or to fix it yourself.) I think my BFGs are 285/70/r18 - I got the biggest ones that would fit in the OEM spare tire spot - I didn't get a Cab and Chassis truck specifically because the body rails are too close together on those to carry your spare... you gotta give up outside storage for your spare - which sucks.

Looking at it now, I might be able to go a little bigger on tires and still fit the OEM spare area... but, why? My tires are great and have served me well tens of thousands of Baja miles (lots offroad too, and on sand). And aired down to 25psi, I can drive this thing on some crazy loose sand (another benefit of the relatively lighter gas engine vs. diesel - in my old diesel it was drive straight in, back straight out... with this one I can drive donuts on the beach).

In all, I spent A LOT of money getting it together, but guess what? I'm not the guy trading it out after one trip or after owning it for only one year because they realized they wanted a beefier truck or something - buy once cry once! I going to keep this one 'til the wheels fall off.

con kso

Adventurer
Dang... They let any hoodlums here in here.... ? ? ?

What's your wheelbase sir?
hahahaha yep! 142" on the wheel base according to google search - able to swing it into any Starbucks parking lot where I hang out with all the overlanders and their skottles. Build that Beast already.... we're all waiting to see it get the Kmoto treatment!!!!

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
I got my flatbed built by XPCamper probably one of the few completed before they went out of business. I like the looks of the Norweld trays or the flatbeds made by Adventure Trailer in Prescott. At the time, XP was able to give me everything that I wanted - especially the 6' slide out storage drawer out the back. That flatbed was stupid expensive but I did get it made how I wanted.

As for suspension, I bought a new 4x4 F350 with locking rear diff., I got the camper and flatbed installed and then took it to Deaver Springs and had them build a spring pack for it. I also have airbags on it. Here's how it works: On pavement, I air up the bags - crazy how good this thing handles with pumped up airbags - no body sway, it rails turns. Off road, 5psi in airbags and I let the heavier spring pack do its job. The Deaver guys told me I don't even need the airbags but I like having them for when I load a moto on the back - I can fine tune the ride. I also had a local suspension company trade out the front springs for something a little less harsh (the F350 front springs are brutal) and switched all of my shocks to Bilsteins. I've used Bilsteins before and they offer good performance for the money - I guess if you've GOT to go 60mph down a dirt road you might want some big fancy shocks etc. but I've been driving down south long enough to know that slow is safe, and safe means you're **** isn't breaking and when your stuffs not breaking you're having more fun (that being said, Baja will break everything so you better be resourceful enough to know how to get it fix or to fix it yourself.) I think my BFGs are 285/70/r18 - I got the biggest ones that would fit in the OEM spare tire spot - I didn't get a Cab and Chassis truck specifically because the body rails are too close together on those to carry your spare... you gotta give up outside storage for your spare - which sucks.

Looking at it now, I might be able to go a little bigger on tires and still fit the OEM spare area... but, why? My tires are great and have served me well tens of thousands of Baja miles (lots offroad too, and on sand). And aired down to 25psi, I can drive this thing on some crazy loose sand (another benefit of the relatively lighter gas engine vs. diesel - in my old diesel it was drive straight in, back straight out... with this one I can drive donuts on the beach).

In all, I spent A LOT of money getting it together, but guess what? I'm not the guy trading it out after one trip or after owning it for only one year because they realized they wanted a beefier truck or something - buy once cry once! I going to keep this one 'til the wheels fall off.

Good to hear on XP Camper. Alumline will be building mine. Quite reasonable for the high quality. Myriad of options; https://www.alumline.com/products/truck-beds/truck-bed-specialized

Ok, Deaver and rear bags, Bilstein's.
Pickup vs Cab/Chassis; true on spare, but while your 141.6"WB pickup has 34gal fuel midship, the 145.3"WB cab/chassis has 40gal fuel aft of axle, so a bit more capacity. With your moto it'd be difficult to put the spare on the rear, without a moto, could even run dual spares in the rear.

Even without beadlocks you should be able to air down to 10'ish psi for even better sand performance. Just don't roll the tire on quick/sharp turns, so that you won't lose the outer bead. Snow guys are running as low as 2.5psi without losing a bead(until they hit an ice berm).

Keep enjoying your rig!

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Hi, my name is Kevin and I like to stir the pot... :)

John, didn’t you have a massive break/failure on that aluminum bed down in Baja when you first got it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles