AEV Colorado ZR2 concept just went live

TwinStick

Explorer
I guess it is almost a size thing. For about the same money as that would be as shown-or less, you can buy a Power Wagon & just add 35's with no lift. The diesel is a great option for that though as it has 100 lb ft more torque (with no mods), than the gas engine. I have a 2008 PW with the G-56, so i may be a little biased. LOL :) That is a sharp looking truck though. My thoughts immediately go to: Mine is a 3/4 ton platform w/33's stock & it had crappy ball joints & tie rod ends from the factory---so I wonder how 35's on an IFS on a 1/4 ton or less vehicle will hold up ? Who knows, it may be better ? Time will tell. Sure looks sharp though.

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
I don't find the concept vehicle all that desirable personally as I like vehicles that are good for traveling and that's a bit much but what I am fired up about is purely the ability to pick and choose some accessories. Hopefully the bumpers work with the non ZR2's. One of the AEV owners basically alluded to the fact they would which is promising. For those of us needing the extra payload, towing, and bed length, it would be rad to have stuff that works for us too.

rkj__

Adventurer
To me, it looks like a very complete package. Fill the tank with gas, fill the fridge with drinks and food, then go hit the trail. No need to go through weeks of planning, online shopping and installations.

mccustomize

Explorer
I guess it is almost a size thing. For about the same money as that would be as shown-or less, you can buy a Power Wagon & just add 35's with no lift. The diesel is a great option for that though as it has 100 lb ft more torque (with no mods), than the gas engine. I have a 2008 PW with the G-56, so i may be a little biased. LOL :) That is a sharp looking truck though. My thoughts immediately go to: Mine is a 3/4 ton platform w/33's stock & it had crappy ball joints & tie rod ends from the factory---so I wonder how 35's on an IFS on a 1/4 ton or less vehicle will hold up ? Who knows, it may be better ? Time will tell. Sure looks sharp though.

Your truck also weighs significantly more, comparing a midsize to a fullsize is apples to oranges. While I own two fullsize trucks, this ZR2 would absolutely fill a needed void in most truck owners lives. Let's be honest, how many people driving around fullsize trucks, really need them?

Why can we not simply appreciate what it is, a great platform to enjoy the outdoors in that fits many peoples needs.

mccustomize

Explorer
2017-sema-chevrolet-colorado-zr2-aev-001-1.jpg

2017-sema-chevrolet-colorado-zr2-aev-002-1.jpg

2017-sema-chevrolet-colorado-zr2-aev-003-1.jpg

2017-sema-chevrolet-colorado-zr2-aev-004-1.jpg

Dalko43

Explorer
Front bumper and side and rear armor looks awesome IMO. Did they figure out a skid plate solution for the fuel tank?

35's are too big for my tastes, but I could see myself buying a lot of their gear for a ZR2 on 32's or 33's. I know AEV does lift kits for the RAM 2500. If that's what they did for the ZR2 I'd forgo that and leave the suspension as it is and get all their other accessories. The bumper looks especially well integrated into the truck's overall design. I'm glad the Colorado is starting to gain ground in the aftermarket world.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
If I understand the article, the idea is for these parts to become parts that can be purchased through the dealer. Either for already built trucks (through the parts department), or as dealer add-ons to a new sale.
In looking through the GM web site for their large trucks, there is all kinds of stuff that can be added to a "factory build", like bed covers, back lit bow tie emblems, etc..
My knowledge is limited as I've only looked at Ford, Dodge & GM websites, but I was blown away at just how much stuff can be added on to GM trucks, versus Ford and Dodge.

So, if this is correct, it really bodes well for everyone with the Colorado, and for those who want to order a new Colorado.
I hope it works out, because AEV is really good quality stuff. It could make things much more feasible for those who have a monthly budget, but maybe not the cash to spend large chunks of at a time. :)

Hawk136439

Just my thoughts on it:

-Guessing it's a drop bracket style kit like what AEV makes for the Ram which makes sense considering what you just paid for the factory suspension.

-The bumpers look like they should have been on there from factory instead of the chunked up looking ones chevy threw on there.

-A snorkel option is always nice to have no matter what vehicle you own.

-The bed rack is okay but doesnt seem to fit the lines of the truck almost like it was for a different truck and then modified to fit.

-The control panel is neat but looks like it will get messed up by the first tree you get a little too close too.

-And finally my biggest gripe about this, you are taking a $43,000 truck and making it MORE EXPENSIVE! and thats just the gas model, if you managed to find and buy a diesel ZR2 it bumps up to $46,000 for just the stock truck. now call AEV or have Chevy do it and say you want "the package". If you were to do the same on a RAM your looking at another $15,000+. So just to be conservative lets say the additions show in the video are only $12,000 in the ZR2 flavor. so assuming you wanted to save some money and went the gas truck route, you're looking at $55,000 for a 1/4 ton pickup truck. And if you have to diesel that price is up around $60,000!

Now I'm not broke but I'm also not rich and it gets a little old watching the internet world jumping and cheering over every new shiny thing coming out that just keeps getting more and more expensive!! I find it really difficult to justify buying a vehicle that costs almost as much as a HOUSE and depreciates 10 times as fast. Now I know everyone is different and AEV makes the Prospector XL KIT whose base price is more than my ENTIRE vehicle is worth but it really does start to wear on someone watching vehicle prices continue to climb and everyone and there brother continuously asking for ways to make them more expensive...

Dalko43

Explorer
-And finally my biggest gripe about this, you are taking a $43,000 truck and making it MORE EXPENSIVE! and thats just the gas model, if you managed to find and buy a diesel ZR2 it bumps up to $46,000 for just the stock truck. now call AEV or have Chevy do it and say you want "the package". If you were to do the same on a RAM your looking at another $15,000+. So just to be conservative lets say the additions show in the video are only $12,000 in the ZR2 flavor. so assuming you wanted to save some money and went the gas truck route, you're looking at $55,000 for a 1/4 ton pickup truck. And if you have to diesel that price is up around $60,000!

Now I'm not broke but I'm also not rich and it gets a little old watching the internet world jumping and cheering over every new shiny thing coming out that just keeps getting more and more expensive!! I find it really difficult to justify buying a vehicle that costs almost as much as a HOUSE and depreciates 10 times as fast. Now I know everyone is different and AEV makes the Prospector XL KIT whose base price is more than my ENTIRE vehicle is worth but it really does start to wear on someone watching vehicle prices continue to climb and everyone and there brother continuously asking for ways to make them more expensive...

I agree that buying a brand new ZR2 and then adding an AEV package is an insanely high price tag. However the solution for the average joe is simple: don't buy these vehicles brand new. Let some other person buy the vehicle, take the hit on depreciation and then you can be the one who is buying this vehicle 5-10 years down the road when it has reached a more logical market value.

All the issues you're bringing up with the ZR2's price can be applied to any number of Jeeps, LandCruiser's, 4runners, or pickups that are bought brand new and then modified. It makes no financial sense to me, and I'd be willing to wait and buy these vehicles at a discount down the road. Even if these vehicles are out of my reach for the time being, I'm glad they're being produced as they will be much more accessible in a few years' time.

rkj__

Adventurer

I'm a cost conscious buyer too, so I won't be buying a $60,000 truck either, but some people have money to spend. In hopes of making a good apples to oranges comparison, I just did a build and price on a Toyota minivan. After I took the top trim, added some tech, protection, and cargo management options, that got to just shy of $50k, for a minivan.

It's not uncommon for me to find a $60k+ vehicle passing me on the highway on my way to work. They come in many shapes and sizes, from luxury sedans, to pickups, or large SUVs. Some people have money, and are looking to spend it. I'm in favour of giving those wealthy buyers options. At least I can enjoy the reviews and owner videos on YouTube...

RaceAddict

Wannabe
35's are too big for my tastes

I had the same thought elsewhere on the interwebs. As it's shown there, the tires just look too balloonish. Part of that effect is the black beadlocks too I think... making it look like there's even more rubber than there is. Personally I'd fit something one, maybe two, sizes narrower.

rkj__

Adventurer
I had the same thought elsewhere on the interwebs. As it's shown there, the tires just look too balloonish. Part of that effect is the black beadlocks too I think... making it look like there's even more rubber than there is. Personally I'd fit something one, maybe two, sizes narrower.

To each their own, eh. I like the balloonish look.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94