AEV Brute: The Ultimate Overlander?

AlaricD

Observer
Looking at the rest of the site, particularly at their "counterfeits" page, it's evident that overall they take quality and safety seriously.

Of course, they lose sales to counterfeits, but they also know that people putting themselves in danger when they buy counterfeits, and need to know how to spot them. Seeing the build quality of their things compared to the counterfeits, it's easy to see that safety is right up there with their fit and finish. I hope this attention to safety extends to lighting. Maybe it will.

AlaricD

Observer
I understand how this would do with the dicussion of lights, but how does this affect the Brute as the ultimate overlander? Does this really contribute to this thread? I have only seen on legititmate reason on this thread to discredit the Brute. The payload. Someone give me something valid.

Unless you're going to trailer it to get it to where you're overlanding, you need to have legal lights. You need to not run into something you missed seeing, and you need to not get rear-ended.

You've gotten the two things already-- lighting, and payload capacity.

How about Allstate's Stand isn't to pay out when your illegal equipment is a proximal cause of the accident?

If none of this seems valid to you, then you need to sit this one out.

Scott Brady

Founder

Bingo.

"Comes with no payload as standard equipment! But you gotta pay more if you want to downgrade your headlamps! Act now! Operators are standing by!" (Doesn't fit easily into any toolbox, though.)

I asked this of you a few pages back. You mentioned that the Brute has "no" payload. What are you basing that on?

Scott Brady

Founder
Criminy...

Payload = GVWR - Curb Weight.

You're still denying this?

There is nothing to deny. I would love to see your numbers, because I have all of them right here at my desk and weighed the Brute this morning. . .

So, what do you think the GVWR of a Wrangler is?

GVWR=

I would also like to know what you think the curb weight of a V6 Brute is.

Curb Weight=

AlaricD

Observer
So... what's the new curb weight? And what's the GVWR (as determined by the original manufacturer-- not guessed at by you or AEV)?

WrenchMonkey

Mechanical Animal
There is nothing to deny. I would love to see your numbers, because I have all of them right here at my desk and weighed the Brute this morning. . .

So, what do you think the GVWR of a Wrangler is?

GVWR=

I would also like to know what you think the curb weight of a V6 Brute is.

Curb Weight=

I posted numbers way back on page 5, 140 posts ago: http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...The-Ultimate-Overlander?p=1673361#post1673361

I asked at the time if my numbers were wrong. If you have something better or different now, I'd love to hear it...

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
Will there be a Brute at Expo East?....someone has got to have some race car scales they can bring to weigh the Brute.

WrenchMonkey

Mechanical Animal
Now, on some level I am being a hypocrite, because I hope/plan to do almost the same thing to my 46 CJ2A:

ww1404_zpsc23f456b.png

cj2a brute.jpg

I will be hard pressed to keep my curb weight below the 2A's original 2900# gvwr.

But.

(1) I acknowledge that issue, (2) I'm not selling it to the public (and certainly not for 80 large), and (3) I'm not claiming it as "ultimate" anything, except embodiment of my vision.

toxicity_27

Adventurer
Edmunds lists GVWR at 5418: http://www.edmunds.com/jeep/wrangler/2014/features-specs.html?style=200478375

AEV lists curb weight at 5400: http://www.aev-conversions.com/vehicles/brute-double-cab

Payload (passenger and gear) = 18 pounds.

You're right, not quite zero.

Jeep lists the GVWR of the JKU at 5500 lbs. and curb weight at 4231 lbs. AEV lists the curb weight of the DC350 at 5400lbs. What I think you're also failing to take into account is what you have on the DC350;

61" X 60" Cored Composite Bed
Stamped Steel Cab Closeout
Double Cab Hardtop
Double Cab Rocker Guards
AEV Double Cab Rear Bumper
AEV Water Pump Kit
AEV Under Mount Tire Carrier
AEV 3.5" DualSport SC Suspension
AEV ProCal
AEV Jack Base
AEV Badging
AEV Instrument Cluster
AEV Logo Headrest
AEV Serialized Build Plaque
AEV Premium Front Bumper
IPF 901 Off-Road Lights
AEV Front Skid Plate
AEV Winch Mount
Warn 9.5cti Winch
AEV Heat Reduction Hood
AEV 17" Alloy Wheels
BFGoodrich 35" Mud-Terrain Tires.

Straight from AEV's FAQ on the Double Cab "The Brute Double Cab is not designed to be a replacement for a traditional pickup truck. The Brute Double Cab is designed for overland travel. The Brute Double Cab utilizes the factory trailer hitch, therefore retaining the Jeep Wrangler's 3,500lb max towing capacity. Since there is no standardized test for determining payload capacity, we recommend following Chrysler's suggested payload capacity of 892-1,000lbs (weight varies depending on trim level)."

From Motortrend, "Instead of a steel pickup box like the original Brute's, the new Double Cab uses a composite bed that weighs 140 pounds less than the steel bed, allowing the new Brute to tip the scales at about the same weight as a stock Wrangler Unlimited. Curb Weight 5200 lbs." Which was with the 6.4L Hemi, Dynatrac Pro Rock front and rear axles, and 37" tires.

According to Barton Jeep, "GVWR: 2,585kg (5,700lbs). Curb weight: 2,057kg (4,535lbs)" http://www.bartonjeep.net/new/Jeep/2015-Jeep-Wrangler+Unlimited-abfb6f340a0a00021721b167693a814c.htm

Might be handy to look at the manufacturer for the source of the GVWR instead of just one site.

WrenchMonkey

Mechanical Animal
I *guess* we could weigh it AGAIN, but:

Well, that is for the 350. The 250 (on street tires :rolleyes:) would be lighter.
And these are inner-web specs. I'm happy to listen to real-world numbers.
I just haven't heard any yet...
Edit: Cross post with above. "Barton Jeep" isn't the manufacturer, they're just the guys trying to sell one. Jeep, the manufacturer, lists the GVWR at 5400# http://www.jeep.com/model-compare/detailed-chart/?modelYearCode=CUJ201507 Click Dimensions, then Exterior.
And to say "there is no standardized test for determining payload capacity" is just wrong. Either incompetent, or (I believe) deliberately deceptive.

Last edited:

docwatson

Adventurer
Unless you're going to trailer it to get it to where you're overlanding, you need to have legal lights. You need to not run into something you missed seeing, and you need to not get rear-ended.

How about Allstate's Stand isn't to pay out when your illegal equipment is a proximal cause of the accident?

The rear light you mentioned I don't see on the Brute and it retains the stock headlights unless "upgraded." So both of your lighting complaints remain invalid.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles