AEV 40” Kit

I have a 2017 Ram 3500 with a Carli Pintop 2.5 kit. I want to do the AEV fender kit and fit 40’s. However unfortunately I learned from reading this forum and checking with AEV today that with the AEV kit the way it moves the axle forward and their coil plates they use it won’t accept Carli or Thuren coils only AEV/dodge. Does anyone who has done this kit know if I can still keep my Carli torsion sway bar (best ride improvement), Carli radius arms and Carli track bad, only replacing the coils with AEV and their whole bracket kit? I really want to run the 40 kit but have 0 desire to run AEV suspension.

Thanks

Explorerinil

Observer
You can keep the fabricated carli radius arms, but not the trac bar, coils... I’m not sure on the sway bar, I’ve heard conflicting results on that. Currently you are running the best suspension system for your truck, with the AEV kit, you are gaining nothing other than tire clearance.

If I were to run 40 inch tires, I would get the AEV high mark fender flares, install them, mount a narrow 40 inch tire and trim where I need to. i Am not impressed with the AEV suspension, I’ve seen too many knuckle, steering and trac bar issues. Take in mind with the AEV kit you may not be able to later run an aftermarket steering set up such as synergy when your stock junk fails.

6gun

While it's kinda silly of me to post an opinion about the tires before I have even a mile on them, I have been very impressed with how my 39X12.50R17 Kanati Mud Hogs helped avoid many fitment issues that going up another inch would have created.
a6f3b04a9895a99a48f07303fb03acd6.jpg
4835730f9f957332e25eb52ea32d1bae.jpg

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

Adventurous

Explorer
If I were in your shoes, I'd install the Highmark fender kit in conjunction with these brackets in the 1/2" position (https://www.synergymfg.com/synergy-ram-front-radius-arm-drop-brackets.html), then see about the biggest tires I could stuff in there.

Your current suspension system is far superior to what the AEV kit provides. It would be foolish to start dismantling it. I would much rather live on 38s than subject myself to the intricacies (also, deficiencies) of how the AEV kit allows you to run the bigger tires.

ttengineer

Adventurer
I think there is a guy with the Carli kit and the AEV highmark fenders with no issues.

In other words, just buy the fenders and the 40s. No need for their 40” kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eizenjin

You can keep the fabricated carli radius arms, but not the trac bar, coils... I’m not sure on the sway bar, I’ve heard conflicting results on that. Currently you are running the best suspension system for your truck, with the AEV kit, you are gaining nothing other than tire clearance.

If I were to run 40 inch tires, I would get the AEV high mark fender flares, install them, mount a narrow 40 inch tire and trim where I need to. i Am not impressed with the AEV suspension, I’ve seen too many knuckle, steering and trac bar issues. Take in mind with the AEV kit you may not be able to later run an aftermarket steering set up such as synergy when your stock junk fails.

Awesome, I figured the radius arms would work. I'm 99% sure the sway bar would be fine after looking at the AEV instructions it's just a bracket that pushes the factory one slightly forward. Exactly, I absolutely love my carli suspension and have done 30k+ miles of dirt between alaska, baja, canada, and the US west never had an issue and rides like a dream. I do plan to run all of the synergy steering tie rod, drag link, etc. It sounds like the best bet is to run their fenders, shove a 40x13.50 under there on a narrow (8.5-9 rim) and make it work.

If I were in your shoes, I'd install the Highmark fender kit in conjunction with these brackets in the 1/2" position (https://www.synergymfg.com/synergy-ram-front-radius-arm-drop-brackets.html), then see about the biggest tires I could stuff in there.

Your current suspension system is far superior to what the AEV kit provides. It would be foolish to start dismantling it. I would much rather live on 38s than subject myself to the intricacies (also, deficiencies) of how the AEV kit allows you to run the bigger tires.
Awesome brother!! I had no idea those brackets even existed. Thanks so much. That's perfect and exactly what I'm looking for. Moving it 1/2" forward (maybe even 1.5"?) I'm sure the coils, track bar, drag link etc from my current setup would all line up just fine maybe have a slight forward lean to them at most. That in conjunction with the fender kit should fit a 40x13.50 on a narrow wheel no problem maybe a tad bit of trimming.

I think there is a guy with the Carli kit and the AEV highmark fenders with no issues.

That's what I had planned to do originally but got the scare talk by AEV, carli, AEV Forum etc. With the other suggestions above moving it 1/2" forward with that synergy bracket and the 40" kit I can't imagine I wont be able to make it fit just fine. May need a different wheel BS/Offset at most. You don't happen to have any info or know who has the Carli kit and AEV fenders do you just for me to get a bit more info and see it? Thanks brother

Appreciate everyone on here with all the info and suggestions. You've reinforced what I thought and will go back to my original plan with carli and shoving a 40 under there with some finagling.

Explorerinil

Observer

I was gonna say, I feel that if I had their fender flares I could run 40’s

ttengineer

Adventurer
I can’t remember the guys name but he’s on the full size overlander Facebook group and the AEV Facebook group.

He has a black power wagon I believe.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
one way or another you need to move the front axle forward about an inch. otherwise, even with the flares, you will have a 40" tire inside your firewall.

Explorerinil

Observer
one way or another you need to move the front axle forward about an inch. otherwise, even with the flares, you will have a 40" tire inside your firewall.
I know I’ve seen it done somewhere, maby AEV forum. I think your right at full flex you will have some contact.
I say do it and cut out whatever hits.

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
I just know myself right now with 37's and no adjustment on axle placement, I cannot go full stuff at more than 75% turn without the tire coming in contact with the firewall.

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
you were also able to pick your offset with those Trail Ready's, is a huge luxury for fitting the tires

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles