AEV 3.5” lift on 37s - 2015 JKUR

Smileyshaun

Observer
For such a welcoming community there’s always such hate for lifting a rig on here . Just because some people can’t figure out how to put a lift and tires on a rig without it destroying the drivability of it doesn’t mean every body else should follow suite .

Jc1986.carter

To be fair, I’m not against lifting jeeps, I’ve put a lift on each vehicle I have had. My only question was why 37s vs 35s and your answer was more than acceptable, because you want them (you are the only person whose opinion matters). I like 37s and I have a running debate with myself on a daily basis on going to them or not on mine, the price for running them is what gets me each time. It’s a big initial investment which is out of my comfort zone.

Hoghead

Observer
If your not opposed to the look, I believe flat fenders will get you 37" on you 3.5 AEV. You can put the AEV on and 37's and see if it works for you. IF it doesn't, then you have a couple of options. Flat fenders or, as was mentioned, source just the 4.5" springs, I believe all of the other components are the same you just install them a little differently. Question, why a 3.5 instead of 4.5? They are pretty close in price if I recall. Did you just find a deal on the 3.5? I went with the 4.5 because I got a deal on it and currently have 35's. Love the way my Jeep drives with this lift. I quit doing extreme trails long ago, so I wanted a good ride on the road that would give me the ability for larger tires and clearance for mild trails. Not going to lie, like the way it looks too. I just can't leave a Jeep alone in it's stock configuration.

wADVr

Adventurer
For what you are looking for the AEV 3.5 and 37s is a perfect set up. My only other recommendation is to keep your wheel back space very close to 5” +/-.25 max. This will get those 37s to fit without rubbing, best scrub radius which makes the front end last a lot longer and drive better. This combination has proven itself on my rig for over 220k. Believe it or not I just changed the original unit bearings at 208k. Front housing was damaged in an accident at 100k but was original ball joints, the Dynatrac replacement housing with Synergy ball joints are still tight 120k later. Maybe I’m lucky but I use this Jeep as intended and by no means a street Jeep.
I will say however that the Bilstein 5100s are the weak link IMO. I need to replace mine for the 2nd time, they last about 100k which to most is probably fine but I’ll be springing for a rebuildable/adjustable 2.5 next round. No intentions of changing springs etc.
I do have the MCE flat fenders but that change was not for tire clearance it was because I kept knocking the OEM ones off on trees, the MCE’s deflect as designed and keep on going.

vonguido

Adventurer
If your not opposed to the look, I believe flat fenders will get you 37" on you 3.5 AEV. You can put the AEV on and 37's and see if it works for you. IF it doesn't, then you have a couple of options. Flat fenders or, as was mentioned, source just the 4.5" springs, I believe all of the other components are the same you just install them a little differently. Question, why a 3.5 instead of 4.5? They are pretty close in price if I recall. Did you just find a deal on the 3.5? I went with the 4.5 because I got a deal on it and currently have 35's. Love the way my Jeep drives with this lift. I quit doing extreme trails long ago, so I wanted a good ride on the road that would give me the ability for larger tires and clearance for mild trails. Not going to lie, like the way it looks too. I just can't leave a Jeep alone in it's stock configuration.

Just a lift preference to be honest. No need for the 4.5 if I can do it with the 3.5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vonguido

Adventurer
For what you are looking for the AEV 3.5 and 37s is a perfect set up. My only other recommendation is to keep your wheel back space very close to 5” +/-.25 max. This will get those 37s to fit without rubbing, best scrub radius which makes the front end last a lot longer and drive better. This combination has proven itself on my rig for over 220k. Believe it or not I just changed the original unit bearings at 208k. Front housing was damaged in an accident at 100k but was original ball joints, the Dynatrac replacement housing with Synergy ball joints are still tight 120k later. Maybe I’m lucky but I use this Jeep as intended and by no means a street Jeep.
I will say however that the Bilstein 5100s are the weak link IMO. I need to replace mine for the 2nd time, they last about 100k which to most is probably fine but I’ll be springing for a rebuildable/adjustable 2.5 next round. No intentions of changing springs etc.
I do have the MCE flat fenders but that change was not for tire clearance it was because I kept knocking the OEM ones off on trees, the MCE’s deflect as designed and keep on going.

My understanding is most kits to go to a 37” tire they want you to have 3.5” backspacing. Is this not the case?

wADVr

Adventurer
My understanding is most kits to go to a 37” tire they want you to have 3.5” backspacing. Is this not the case?

not my experience. Not going to get long life out of your front end with that setup and IMO will not drive as well both at speed and slow trail maneuvering. AEV for example sells wheels with a 5.25” BS to run with their lifts and run 37s.

Sweet you want to drive around the world , he wants his jeep to look better to him . Everybody likes something different and has different needs and wants .
Not trying to be a keyboard worrier but if Dan Grec give you words of advice you take it, it’s worth it weight in gold. He has driven the entire Pan-American in jeep and around the entire way around Africa. You are right everyone is different but if you want capable and reliability he is one of the people to listen too.

Smileyshaun

Observer
Not trying to be a keyboard worrier but if Dan Grec give you words of advice you take it, it’s worth it weight in gold. He has driven the entire Pan-American in jeep and around the entire way around Africa. You are right everyone is different but if you want capable and reliability he is one of the people to listen too.

I get that he has and it’s a great story and quite the adventure . This other guy wants 37s to roll around town and go on short adventures and enjoy the way his rig looks . Plenty of people run 37s on newer Jeep’s Especially when you get to the JL jeeps those extra gears in the trans , 4:1 gear in the t case really help.

I get that he has and it’s a great story and quite the adventure . This other guy wants 37s to roll around town and go on short adventures and enjoy the way his rig looks . Plenty of people run 37s on newer Jeep’s Especially when you get to the JL jeeps those extra gears in the trans , 4:1 gear in the t case really help.
Cool yeah each is there own. It didn’t sound like you know who he was sorry I shouldn’t assumed I am in the process of down grading I got my self hooked on the image and didn’t listen to people like Dan there is nothing I do now that I couldn’t do with less and it was better driving with less.

Smileyshaun

Observer
Cool yeah each is there own. It didn’t sound like you know who he was sorry I shouldn’t assumed I am in the process of down grading I got my self hooked on the image and didn’t listen to people like Dan there is nothing I do now that I couldn’t do with less and it was better driving with less.

honestly we could all do with less and I understand that but I just feel like this site really does a lot of hating on anybody that wants to put larger tires on a rig , there is pros and cons to everything and one’s personal taste is part of that equation to . Yes you don’t need 37s to explore but on that same train of thought you don’t need a camp kitchen , don’t need a rtt or some sort of sleeping platform with a big soft bed you could just use a bedroll and a tarp , gps ? Nope maps and a compass will get you by .

now if the OP said “ I want to travel to other countries do you think 37s are a good idea “ then I could see the merit in comparing it to a world wide traveler but some of us are content going up in the hills close to our house sitting by a creek or a nice viewpoint and if it takes some lift and 37s to make someone smile at their rig every time they see it and enjoy what they own that’s all they need for their own adventures in life .

honestly we could all do with less and I understand that but I just feel like this site really does a lot of hating on anybody that wants to put larger tires on a rig , there is pros and cons to everything and one’s personal taste is part of that equation to . Yes you don’t need 37s to explore but on that same train of thought you don’t need a camp kitchen , don’t need a rtt or some sort of sleeping platform with a big soft bed you could just use a bedroll and a tarp , gps ? Nope maps and a compass will get you by .

now if the OP said “ I want to travel to other countries do you think 37s are a good idea “ then I could see the merit in comparing it to a world wide traveler but some of us are content going up in the hills close to our house sitting by a creek or a nice viewpoint and if it takes some lift and 37s to make someone smile at their rig every time they see it and enjoy what they own that’s all they need for their own adventures in life .
This is expedition portal a lot of us do a lot miles in the middle of nowhere. I personally just got back from a solo trip from Mojave across Death Valley. need that stuff because I was a few days from anything. But big tire sure look good. I like them but the math and geo does add up for me. If you look at Dan’s jeep he has 34x10.5 those were my best tires I ever had but I wanted bigger and change alot I wish I didn’t for bigger.

billiebob

you know this is not yer average 4 wheeler forum, the theme is long distance overlanding, even international overlanding and range is one of the most critical factors, Having inched my way up from a stock YJ thru an LJ on 35s..... I never really paid attention but every inch in tire size increase was a hit of a few MPG..... Finally, at 60 years old I got it and am now running skinny 31s on a TJR, just that change from 33s gained 5MPG, adding 95 miles to my range and I never lost any capability.

The Jeep actually rides better. Is way more comfortable over rough terrain. A TJR skinnier now than a stock SE it gets place my LJ on 35s cannot go. I even cut the Riubicon Flares to match the skinny profile.
DSCN2900.jpeg

When I said "ego" that is exactly where I was too..... to anyone offended hey sorry but been there done that.
I now get flack from guys who believe a Jeep NEEDS 35s and a 4" lift to look good...... look being the key.

Focus on who the forum caters too.

Last edited:
4810A7BF-27CE-44BA-BEE5-53522F7BAC0C.jpegB345B516-3BD9-4EA7-A2D5-96F9D030F0A4.jpeg

AEV 3.5 with 37” tires. Honestly you’re going to want to brace, sleeve, and gusset the axles along with upgrading the steering and gearing to at least 4.88 before you decide to go this route. Otherwise you’re going to pay more than you otherwise would’ve for having to fix the parts you break on 37’s.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles