Advice Wanted (Warning Long Post)

Hello all,

I know most of you will see this as pointless rambling but I do have a method to my madness. I won't bore you with past history of our expedition trial and error lessons. Suffice it to say we have been camping since before we got married, spent our honeymoon camping in Montana out of the back of a bronco II and have done camping from tents, all the way to RV’s.
Right now we are looking to go further off the beaten path now that the kids are getting older and can enjoy it more. I thought I wanted to build off of a 1992 F SUPERDUTY crew cab (thanks to all who gave advice on that one) but alas my heart is just not in the Fords. We have always been a chebby family and it is what I know and I didn’t want to be stuck somewhere with a vehicle I didn’t know.
Anyway, dang now I am rambling, so here we sit I need advice. I have really enjoyed being a part of this forum, and I am really impressed at the vision you all show for this sport. So that is why I have come to you oh wise internet companions to ask your sage advice no matter how harsh or devastating you may think it is please I would like any and all insights into this before we as a family take a leap and start spending lots of money on a vehicle.
We have a 1989 suburban. My kids call it the “Blue Beast” it has been with us for about 4 years now and has been a fun truck. (I must admit here that I have a soft spot for the older looking burbans) it has an 8” lift (all spring) and currently sits on 37” tires (super swampers) as I have stated this has been a fun truck, but it is by no means “built”. It is running stock ¾ ton axels front and rear, stock TBI 350 with a 700 r4 auto tranny.
About a week ago I ran across a deal that was really too good to pass up, (I am now grounded from the local classifieds by the way:() I was practically given a 1993 suburban it is in really good shape leather interior, all power (just like the Blue Beast except the Beast is cloth interior). It is stock TBI 350, auto (I assume also a 700r4 tranny) 4x4 no lift, grandpa running boards, the whole bit. It is a ½ ton suburban and both have the rear ambulance doors on them.
Finally we get around to the questions. Both would be solid platforms to build on. The 89 has a lot of cancer rust but I can deal with that. Here is what I want. Both 350’s are getting tired 89 has 230,000 the 93 has 190,000. I want to swap out for a cummins eventually anyway, and I want to put in a standard tranny. The 8” lift on the beast is bigger then I want/need although it has been fun I haven’ t been anywhere that a 4” lift and 35” tires wouldn’t have gotten me and it is getting time to put some new rubber on the beast HOLY $$$$. :Wow1:
I don’t mind doing a SAS swap on the 93 and I would have to do an axel swap on the 89 front anyway. So I am just wondering what you all thought about which one would be a better platform to start a build and one that would be better putting money in. if we keep the beast I am going to lower the lift and reduce the tires, if I do the 93 then I will build a lift and put on bigger tires. They are both pretty roomy and…… crap like I said at the beginning this may seem like pointless rambling but I would love some thoughts.
So fire away, knowing that in the future it will be getting an engine swap to a cummins, a tranny swap, and built better for overland use. Thanks all,
I now return you to the land of normal where things make since and the confused stay in the mental hospital where they belong.
Oh P.S. before I let you go I added some pics of both burbans. The one of the Beast is the only one I have on my computer and it is sitting in a field of snow right now. It is an old pic. Also let it be known ahead of time I am an ADD kind of guy my wife’s daily driver is a 2001 suburban, my son and I just finished building a 1953 suburban, and we also have a 1972 suburban that I bought when I was a youngin’ so I guess I have an addiction. :coffee:

Attachments

• 1993.3.jpg
    1993.3.jpg
    352.7 KB · Views: 14
  • 1993.1.jpg
    1993.1.jpg
    364.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 1989.jpg
    1989.jpg
    383.8 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:

bob91yj

Resident **************
I'm a sucker for the older body style.

I have an '88 3/4 ton with a 454 in it. Downside is it's 2wd. No good reason to keep it, but i just can't get rid of it.

dbreid

Adventurer
Do the older style. My opinion is that they are built better, and they have more room inside. That's why I built an 89. Cavernous, and there is a reason it is one of the longest running body styles of any vehicle in history.

TheGuyJones

Observer
Leave the blue beast as-is for the future cummins swap. Do the SAS on the 93, but keep lift to like 4" (possibly donate the running boards to a grandpa who is in need... or burn 'em:wings:)

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Unless you have tons of money, then I would do all the 4by4 stuff to the 89, and keep the 93 stock. The 93 with the leather seats and bling bling can be your daily cruiser, and the 89 can be your 4 wheeling monster. Also, the bodywork repairs you say you need to do on the 89 does not have to be super nice in the finish department, as it will be used for the rough country driving.Also, if you have some spare/leftover parts from the 89, well then you can use them on the 93. Even though a SaS would be cool to see on the 93, well hell, the 89 already has a straight axel, does it not?:cool:

ExpoMike

I would say build the '89 the way you want it. It's a much better platform to start with as there are a ton of companies making all kinds of parts for the suspension/axle swaps/Cummins swaps, etc. Also less electronics to deal with. If you start down the road of an SAS on the '93, it will end up being a perpetual project that is likely going to be a pain in the long run.

My plan would be, fix the rust on the '89, pull off the monster lift and sell those parts off. Put on a lower lift and 35's and refresh the engine or swap to a Cummins. Go out and enjoy.

The '93, pull off the running boards, throw some stock size A/T tires, refresh the stock engine and have a nice driver.

My .02, FWIW.

alexfm

Explorer
Thats a hard question to answer. Personally, I'd build the 93, seeing as it's unmolested, small lift (4") and tires, maybe an SAS. Im not a Chevy guy, but I did think about buying a Suburban, before I got my Jeep. Im sure others are thinking it, but I wouldnt mind seeing some pictures of that 53 Burb. :ylsmoke:

Little Red

Adventurer
Personally I think the 89 suburban would be a better platform for an expedition type vehicle. It has solid axles, less electronics and is easier to get parts for, (you can go to almost any junkyard and find a 73-91 suburban). Personally I also like this body style best and I have an 89 Suburban myself as my expedition vehicle (in the making).
I have owned an 86 suburban also and both have served me very well.

On the other hand your 93 suburban seems to be in much better shape and I have seen some pretty cool buildups of this body style also, check out what
TheOtherSide did to his 93 suburban, pretty sweet!

That being said if the 89 is not rusted too bad I would sell the 8” lift and 37” tires and buy a 3-4” lift for it and either 33” or 35” tires. And then customize it the way you want to.
I really like what dbreid did to his 89 suburban, and he has lots of good info on his site too.

Good luck

bftank

Explorer
the 93 does have a better frame, and to put a cummins in the '89 it is recommended to plate the frame. however the 89 will be cheaper to modify and there is more info about doing it available. checkout ck5.com if you haven't already.

i say build the 93, but only because it seems like everyone has an '89 suburban these days.

Thanks,

For all the input. Just got back from a Scouting weekend with the two older boys. We took the 93 with us. the thing is in really good condition we went about 250 miles round trip and spent the night at some hot springs. :wings:

The hot springs were nice the 38 degrees outside not so much so. :ylsmoke:

I am still torn on this this decision, I could easily sell this one for WAY more then I paid and that would put some funding for the 89, but the 89 definitely doesn't have the road manners of the 93 but of course the 93 is still stock.

The 93 seems to be smaller in side or am I just imagining things? I gotta tell you this one is um being a little difficult to decide.

if you have any other wisdom I would love to hear it. As I make this decision. I have seen wonderful examples of both styles thanks to you guys. keep the ideas coming.

Thanks,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior