Advice selecting new HD truck (camper hauler)

jaxyaks

Adventurer
Are you hoping to pull the tacoma at the same time as hauling the camper? If so, then I would lean more toward DRW.

Sounds like heavy enough weights where the exhaust brake on the diesel would be helpful.
Possibly, and yes I am more than likely leaning towards a DRW set up. Pulling the tacoma on a trailer won't be all the time, just certain trips, it more than likely will end up being a Jeep flat towed/ and or a SXS on a trailer, but that wouldn't be the set up all the time.

D

Deleted member 9101

F350, 7.3, dually. You don't need a 6.7 to haul around a truck camper. Think of the fuel you can buy with the difference in purchase price, insurance, and maintaince.

wirenut

Adventurer
3500 gas if you want a fairly small TC. Dually gas if you want a larger TC. If you want a really big TC and you're going to tow then maybe diesel makes sense.
I carried a 4,000 pound 11' TC on a 2007 Chevy 3500 SRW and then put it on a 2005 Dually. Man, what a difference in stability, handling, and ride with the dually! Way better. I see no nead for a diesel just to carry a TC. I had diesels becasue I was using my work trucks that also tow equipment and supplies on a 24' flatbed trailer. I only got 10 MPG with the dually running 70 MPH on the interstate.

1000arms

I plan to buy new and trade at or near warranty if it is a diesel
F350, 7.3, dually. You don't need a 6.7 to haul around a truck camper. Think of the fuel you can buy with the difference in purchase price, insurance, and maintenance.
2021 F350 XL DRW 4x4, Reg Cab, Long Bed, 7.3L gas engine:

Payload: over 7200 pounds.
(less than 7200 pounds with the much heavier diesel engine as GVWR is the same at 14,000 pounds).

Bumper towing, with 7.3L gas engine, 4.30 gears: 20,000 pounds (28,000 GCWR).

Bumper towing with diesel engine: 20,000 pounds (40,000 pounds GCWR with 3.55 gears. 43,400 pounds GCWR with 4.10 gears).

Last edited:

plumber mike

Adventurer
All the advice in the world can't change the seat of the pants feeling you actually get being in and operating said vehicle...

Sent from my SM-A115U using Tapatalk
The vehicles all get test driven without a full load. It definitely makes it harder to determine suitability.

Diesel engine isn’t the no brainer it used to be. From the drivers seat I’d pick the diesel every time. See the extra cost, and I’m still wanting. Pop the hood on a new one and scare me away.

I went Ford gas this time. 7.3. Plenty of grunt and nice and low. If you’ve driven an 8.1 GM and liked it, you’ll really enjoy the new gas engine. If you’re coming from a diesel, it’s a solid almost, but not quite. Fuel mileage, for myself, is about half what an older diesel gets. 11 vs. 20+
My best diesel is a 5.9 1st gen manual. It’s good for 23 all day long. Our 5.0 Titan can pull 27, but with the same load drops quickly into the mid to low teens. I haven’t towed anything substantial with the 7.3 gas yet. It’s showing an average of 11.2 in its first thousand miles of operation. That’s right in line with the V10 and 460 that we’ve had. I don’t expect much better out of it. The ten speed doesn’t have any magic efficiency that I can see, especially skipping gears. 1-3 shift feels about as far apart as a 2-3 shift on an old SM465.
Still seems like it’ll be a decent truck.

Good luck and have fun.

mightymike

Adventurer
2021 F350 DRW 4x4, Reg Cab, Long Bed, 7.3L gas engine:

(less than 7200 pounds with the much heavier diesel engine as GVWR is the same at 14,000 pounds).

Bumper towing with diesel engine: 20,000 pounds (40,000 pounds GCWR with 3.55 gears. 43,400 pounds GCWR with 4.10 gears).
Just remember to check the payload sticker on the door jamb. It can vary greatly within the same model and the ratings are nonsensical, so make sure to look at the sticker on the actual truck you are considering.

1000arms

I plan to buy new and trade at or near warranty if it is a diesel
F350, 7.3, dually. You don't need a 6.7 to haul around a truck camper. Think of the fuel you can buy with the difference in purchase price, insurance, and maintenance.
2021 F350 XL DRW 4x4, Reg Cab, Long Bed, 7.3L gas engine:

Just remember to check the payload sticker on the door jamb. It can vary greatly within the same model and the ratings are nonsensical, so make sure to look at the sticker on the actual truck you are considering.
The OP will probably want to order one with the "camper" package or the "snowplow / camper" package. He should ask for a printout of the potential order to confirm the payload/...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier