Advice selecting new HD truck (camper hauler)

jaxyaks

Adventurer
With the risk of a diesel vs gas or SRW vs DRW debate I'm going to throw this out there with the hopes of some new insight.

I will be selecting a new truck camper hauler in the not so distant future and I am always up for advice from those who know more than I do regarding different reasons one truck/style over another may or may not work. So having said that here are my (for now) desired requirements.

SRW or DRW Diesel or Gas (I am leaning gas at the moment) HD truck, Ram/Ford/Chevy/GMC....I'm open. DRW will more than likely be the choice, since the campers I lean towards are on the heavy side.

These would be new or barely used. Camper would stay on the truck 95% of the time. (don't need it for a daily driver) Camper would be used for general travel in North America/Canada typical US travel 80% highway/improved rd. 20% Forest service roads (getting to dispersed camping spots etc) I'm not looking for something to wheel in Moab, but I don't want to not be able to go down a bumpy dirt rd to a nice lake etc. We have kind of a wandering travel style that we pick a geographic area and pretty much just explore whatever we see that may be interesting. One trip on the list is to travel to the Arctic Circle via Alaska or Canada route.

Since I know someone will ask, at the moment I am leaning towards one of the Northern Lite Models.

Gas
Pro/Cons
Which one?

Diesel
This one gives me the most angst, I know the advantages of diesel with torque and elevation, I just don't trust them for long term use without expensive problems after warranty. So If I do go diesel I will more than likely trade it around 95K just before the warranty is out. The gas I may keep longer.

So which diesel
Cummins
Duramax
Powerstroke

I know I am setting up a bunch of debates with this one, but I figured there are enough people on this board that have way more experience off pavement with different vehicles that I may going some knowledge I don't already know.

If this needs to be moved to truck campers feel free to move it, I dropped it into the Full Size truck thread because it is more about trucks than campers.

phsycle

Adventurer
I have not owned a truck camper that heavy. But if I were to look for a truck to haul that camper, my first choice would most likely be an F350, 7.3L. Maybe 4.10 or 4.30 rear.

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
I have not owned a truck camper that heavy. But if I were to look for a truck to haul that camper, my first choice would most likely be an F350, 7.3L. Maybe 4.10 or 4.30 rear.
Same. If you go long wheel base you get the big tank, 50 gallons I think.

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
We have had two 3/4 HD Tons and one 1Ton, all with big gasser motors and SRW. Air bags were on the first 3/4 HD and wonderfully helpful...much lots less sway on winding mountain roads. We learned early on not to focus too much on gas prices or the dismal mpg our rigs got...this was just the price we had to pay to enjoy the well matched setup.

And, these rigs always were plenty powerful enough for our needs, even hauling a 10 foot camper up over and through the Colorado and Western Canada Rockies. Not having enough raw hauling power, even at higher altitudes, never was ever been an issue with these.

But I don’t think I’d ever go below a one ton for camper hauling, now that we’ve had experience with our F350 (6.2 engine).

So, if you do go with the duallies (which we had on a very heavy 21’ Class B) consider getting a set up where your dual tires aren’t mounted too close to each other, as far as that air gap between them. Airing down our dually was a problem because the sidewalls would actually touch and rub against each other if we went low enough to make a decent ride difference. Also, on USFS roads, we frequently had to stop and use a big, long handled screwdriver to knock out rocks that had gotten wedged in between the wheels.

BTW, your post stood out to me because it was enjoyably well composed and that makes it much easier to try to help you out, especially since your thoughts and needs are so well set forth.

Last edited:

cobro92

7.3 (diesel) is reliable, but it is slow. The driving experience will be much better with a 6.7. Are you planning to buy new and keeping for a long time? A well maintained 6.7 can easily go 300-400k before something really big breaks. Plus since you aren’t planning to leave North America with it, you can be confident you’ll be able to put high quality fuel in it.

That being said, the new 7.3 (gas) is an excellent engine and will probably have plenty of pulling power. It will probably be a pretty reliable platform, but since it is relatively new we don’t know for sure yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jaxyaks

Adventurer
7.3 (diesel) is reliable, but it is slow. The driving experience will be much better with a 6.7. Are you planning to buy new and keeping for a long time? A well maintained 6.7 can easily go 300-400k before something really big breaks. Plus since you aren’t planning to leave North America with it, you can be confident you’ll be able to put high quality fuel in it.

That being said, the new 7.3 (gas) is an excellent engine and will probably have plenty of pulling power. It will probably be a pretty reliable platform, but since it is relatively new we don’t know for sure yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I plan to buy new and trade at or near warranty if it is a diesel

jaxyaks

Adventurer
We have had two 3/4 HD Tons and one 1Ton, all with big gasser motors and SRW. Air bags were on the first 3/4 HD and wonderfully helpful...much lots less sway on winding mountain roads. We learned early on not to focus too much on gas prices or the dismal mpg our rigs got...this was just the price we had to pay to enjoy the well matched setup.

And, these rigs always were plenty powerful enough for our needs, even hauling a 10 foot camper up over and through the Colorado and Western Canada Rockies. Not having enough raw hauling power, even at higher altitudes, never was ever been an issue with these.

But I don’t think I’d ever go below a one ton for camper hauling, now that we’ve had experience with our F350 (6.2 engine).

So, if you do go with the duallies (which we had on a very heavy 21’ Class B) consider getting a set up where your dual tires aren’t mounted too close to each other, as far as that air gap between them. Airing down our dually was a problem because the sidewalls would actually touch and rub against each other if we went low enough to make a decent ride difference. Also, on USFS roads, we frequently had to stop and use a big, long handled screwdriver to knock out rocks that had gotten wedged in between the wheels.

BTW, you post was enjoyably well composed and so that makes it much easier to try to help you, since your thoughts and needs are so well set forth.
Thank you that was quite helpful to me!

nickw

Adventurer
This is the best option in my mind, low buy in cost, reliable (likely) and probably the least amount of headaches of all the rigs available.

GeorgeHayduke

I'd go for a 1 ton SRW crew cab 8' bed from your favorite OEM. DRW struggles offroad or in the snow, and a SRW 1 ton should have a payload around 4000 lbs. Add a beefier sway bar and airbags if it needs extra support. RAWR on most 1 ton SRW's is around 7000 lbs and there are plenty of good tires are available with 4000 lb/tire load ratings. Run the numbers for the camper you're considering, but unless you're towing as well I think you'd be within tire and axle capacities with a SRW.

If you want diesel, I'd vote Cummins and if you want gas I'd vote 7.3 Ford. Diesel is more expensive to purchase and operate/maintain, but the torque and ease with which it gobbles up miles is addicting. Longer range with diesel too. I've been pretty disappointed with the dead pedal and torque management on my Cummins and a gasser will probably feel peppier. Powerstroke is faster but more complicated and expensive to work on than an inline 6. If you go Cummins, you have to also decide about standard vs high output and the associated transmissions.

Apart from the engines, I prefer a sold front axle so I really only consider Ford and Ram. Ford comes with a rear e-locker, Ram has an LSD, but with a SRW and a camper traction likely won't be an issue either way. The Ram cab and wheelbase is considerably shorter than the equivalent Ford or GM vehicles which is a plus in my mind. Not sure if you've thought about tiedown systems, but you can't use happijac front tiedowns on Fords because the shear strength of the aluminum beds isn't high enough. I prefer happijacs over torklift because they preserve your ground clearance and don't block your fuel tank. Get LED headlights, a beefed up alternator, factory aux switches, and the largest fuel tank available with whatever brand you pick.

Also, if you haven't already found them, the TFLtruck guys do great reviews of all the HD trucks and engines in realistic towing/hauling situations throughout the Rockies and might help you decide.

jaxyaks

Adventurer
I'd go for a 1 ton SRW crew cab 8' bed from your favorite OEM. DRW struggles offroad or in the snow, and a SRW 1 ton should have a payload around 4000 lbs. Add a beefier sway bar and airbags if it needs extra support. RAWR on most 1 ton SRW's is around 7000 lbs and there are plenty of good tires are available with 4000 lb/tire load ratings. Run the numbers for the camper you're considering, but unless you're towing as well I think you'd be within tire and axle capacities with a SRW.

If you want diesel, I'd vote Cummins and if you want gas I'd vote 7.3 Ford. Diesel is more expensive to purchase and operate/maintain, but the torque and ease with which it gobbles up miles is addicting. Longer range with diesel too. I've been pretty disappointed with the dead pedal and torque management on my Cummins and a gasser will probably feel peppier. Powerstroke is faster but more complicated and expensive to work on than an inline 6. If you go Cummins, you have to also decide about standard vs high output and the associated transmissions.

Apart from the engines, I prefer a sold front axle so I really only consider Ford and Ram. Ford comes with a rear e-locker, Ram has an LSD, but with a SRW and a camper traction likely won't be an issue either way. The Ram cab and wheelbase is considerably shorter than the equivalent Ford or GM vehicles which is a plus in my mind. Not sure if you've thought about tiedown systems, but you can't use happijac front tiedowns on Fords because the shear strength of the aluminum beds isn't high enough. I prefer happijacs over torklift because they preserve your ground clearance and don't block your fuel tank. Get LED headlights, a beefed up alternator, factory aux switches, and the largest fuel tank available with whatever brand you pick.

Also, if you haven't already found them, the TFLtruck guys do great reviews of all the HD trucks and engines in realistic towing/hauling situations throughout the Rockies and might help you decide.
Thank you for taking the time to write this, this has been very helpful, I did not know that about the Happijack on the Ford, that is good to know!

Eric Edwards

Adventurer
If you are going used, I would strongly suggest a 2018 Ram 2500 or 3500. If new, do the 2021 Ram (interior is amazing). Stay away from the CP4 fuel pump, regardless of which vehicle you choose. Ford and GMC used CP4 before ditching it in 2018 to go back to the CP3. For some insane reason Ram decided to go with the CP4 in 2019 and 2020, even though they knew about the class action lawsuits against Ford and GMC. Now in 2021, Ram has gone back to the CP3.

The Cummins engine has a half million mile duty cycle if I recall, assuming you take care of it. The MPG is important, but what I care about the most is range per tank. Prior to my 2500 I had a LC200 and a G550, and the range on the 2500 just blows them away.

phsycle

Adventurer
The MPG is important, but what I care about the most is range per tank. Prior to my 2500 I had a LC200 and a G550, and the range on the 2500 just blows them away.

Range is impressive on those diesels (along with pulling power). But I did have few friends who had to do some repairs post-warranty, and I leaned back and thought how many gas engines, overhauls, transmissions I could have bought with that repair bill.

GeorgeHayduke

If you are going used, I would strongly suggest a 2018 Ram 2500 or 3500.

As an owner of a 2016 Ram 2500 with a truck camper, I would really recommend against the 2500 for slide-in truck camper applications. The coil springs on the rear suspension of the 2014+ Ram 2500's are mounted inboard of the frame and lead to a lot of sway and poor handling with high center of gravity loads. Leaf sprung suspensions (like in the 3500) are much better suited for hauling truck campers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier